LOGO
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Nakforappealp

Default Hitting it straight vs Baby draw/fade
I had my 2nd lesson last night and the pro had me try to draw the ball a little bit with each shot. We worked on hybrids, woods and driver.

After the lesson we were discussing this and he said that if you can consistently hit a draw/fade, you can in essence not have to worry about the hazards on half of the course, ie. if you draw the ball, the hazards on the right really don't come into play since you never hit it right.

We then spoke about Nicklaus(I believe it was him). He gave me an example that say you have a 20 foot wide green, if you aim for the pin and miss 10 feet or more, you will be off the green on either side. Nicklaus would always fade the ball a bit, so he would aim 8 feet left of the pin. If he hit it straight, then he would still be on the green putting for birdie. If he hit a fade from a baby fade to a larger one, he still had 18 feet of green to work with, thereby increasing his margin of error.

This got me thinking.

So, do you you use that strategy when hitting onto the fairway or green or just try to hit it straight?