LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
catarleriarly

Default Slow progress
Today I shot my 10th round since taking the game back up in June after a 25+ yr layoff. The first few rounds were really ugly with scores well on the other side of 120. I took a couple of lessons and things started to improve. On the 6th round I got hot on the back nine and shot a 99. I was excited and thought the scores would keep on coming down.

They have improved very slowly, but not yet below 100 again. Over the last 4 rounds I've scored 102, 103, 101 and today shot 100. Things were going pretty good, basically playing bogey / double bogey golf until holes 7 and 8. 7 is a 500 yrd par 5 and it ate my lunch. Ended up with a 9 on the hole... . For whatever reason, I started topping the ball and just could not correct it, it took 3 whacks just to get to the fairway..... This carried over to the par 4 8th and I scored a 7 there. After that things came back together, with 47 on the back nine.

Without the two blowup holes it would have been my best round yet.

Still having fun, just frustrating when you have a bad hole or two that mess up a decent round.

Tommy

Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
RicyReetred

Golf is hard.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
traithJah

Golf is hard.
Really hard.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Bemapayople

I've been playing for about a year now and haven't had all that much change since the first month or two. I've had 2 rounds below 90 but I'm usually around 93-96 range. Just takes time and practice. Improving your short game and avoiding duffed shots will be the biggest things that you can lower your scores with. I've been working on my chipping and it's been getting ok. You can really see the difference in the scoring when you make good chips. Yesterday I hit my tee shot on a par 3 a bit fat and ended up about 20 yards short with a bunker straight ahead guarding the flag but I managed to get it just over the bunker and to about 10 feet and made the putt to save par. With a bad chip I could have easily ended up with a 5/6 there so that shows how much of a difference it can make

Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
topbonusescod

This is my first year taking it seriously, and I gotta say I know how it feels to have one of those days. However, it seems like you have kind of the same attitude towards the game that I do in that I use those bad rounds to come back next week after hitting the range and spank the course. As others have said, golf is a tough game, and as a guy thats played collegiate level sports, there are few things in sports as gratifying as making a great golf shot! Keep working at it and have fun and the good shots will start coming!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
interbaoui

Golf is hard.
Golf is fun

Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Galvanoidum

Hang in there. I'm in the same boat. I've been taking lessons and can not believe how well I can hit the ball when I just do what I know I need to do. And that is the challenge. Getting to the point that muscle memory takes over. I don't get frustrated, even though it is frustrating. What else could you be doing?

See everyone in A.C. September 8th

Reply to Thread New Thread