LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
gyjsdtuwr

Default Playing partners/ Attitudes???
How many of you have to play with people that are either slow as hell or have terrible attitudes? As of late, it seems I have been "lucky" enough to been matched with this type of player. For the last 6 or 7 holes of our club championship yesterday, I heard more of "this game sucks", we may as well go back in and drink", we all suck", and on and on.. It got so bad I was a heartbeat from telling them to go.....

I have learned to tune (or try to) this stuff out but it does make for a long day.. How many other of you folks deal with this?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
flnastyax

dont golf with too many slow people, but a few guys have serious attitude issues. Don't get me swong, I take the game serious and am as competitive as the next guy, but throwing hissy fits when something goes wrong just baffles me. To me, its just not worth getting worked up over.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
CKDIWEQ

Think we've all had to deal with someone who falls under that category of playing partner. I personally don't get bothered by it all that much. It doesn't make for the perfect round, but try not to let it ruin my round either.

Sent from my HTC One X

Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
lidya-sggf

In 2013 I am turning over a new leaf to only golf with THPers. By doing so I know I will not have to deal with the bad attitudes thing. Those that have played with me know, that I only care about one thing on the golf course. That everybody around me has a great time. Nothing else matters to me.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
neniajany

Not so much a bad attitude on the course, but I have one buddy who thinks he needs to drink the well dry every time he hits the course. It's bad, to the point I've quit playing with him. By the turn he's slurring his words and takes forever to pull the trigger on a shot. By the end of the round he's just embarrassing.

I don't go to the course for a big downer, I want things fun, relaxed and positive.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
WebDocMan

Bad attitudes on a golf course? Get out!

I try to make light of bad golf. If I lip a putt I will usually say, "I hate this game." Then when I make a putt I say, "I love golf, it's easy."

I have also learned, that if you let other people bother you on the course (or in life in general), you will never be able to be yourself.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
AngegepeM

I tend to get paired up with some slow golfers, but for the most part all of them have a pretty good attitude. I used to have a rotten attitude on the course, but then I realized that I was just out there to have fun, so most of the time that's all I care about now. I know that every time I have teed it up with a member of THP I have had an enjoyable round

Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
GutleNus

In 2013 I am turning over a new leaf to only golf with THPers. By doing so I know I will not have to deal with the bad attitudes thing. Those that have played with me know, that I only care about one thing on the golf course. That everybody around me has a great time. Nothing else matters to me.
You sure speed isn't semi-important JB? hehe

Old 08-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
BCVB9SOc

During the summer I play as a single because I have off during the week and none of my friends do. At my home course there is one guy that I absolutely will no longer play with because of his attitude. I'll pass on my tee time for a later one if I get to the course and find out I'm playing with him. He plays a lot and around the same time I like to play so it's happened where I asked the starter to help me out and find me a different tee time. Thankfully the people at my course know me and help me out. But this guy not only has attitude but took it out on me the one time I played with him. Started yelling at me and blaming me for him playing bad. I don't need some guy I don't know redirecting his anger at me because he stinks at golf and is losing money to his playing partner. When I play golf I want to enjoy my round and playing with this guy makes it impossible.

As for slow players, I've gotten used to slow play. I play at public courses that are crowded and whether it's someone in my group or someone ahead of me, there's bound to be slow play somewhere. I don't let slow players ruin my day.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
deackatera

How many of you have to play with people that are either slow as hell or have terrible attitudes? As of late, it seems I have been "lucky" enough to been matched with this type of player. For the last 6 or 7 holes of our club championship yesterday, I heard more of "this game sucks", we may as well go back in and drink", we all suck", and on and on.. It got so bad I was a heartbeat from telling them to go.....

I have learned to tune (or try to) this stuff out but it does make for a long day.. How many other of you folks deal with this?

I had this exact problem in my club championship and team championships, people either take it way too serious or don't even have the common decency to learn my name. During the finals match in the club championship my opponent kept calling me by the wrong name the whole match, it drove me nuts!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
lidya-sggf

You sure speed isn't semi-important JB? hehe
I have never really had an issue with the speed in my own group. I know it sounds weird, but I can harass people enough to pick up the pace. I play what some would call fast golf as was seen in the streaming coverage of the MC, but I know very few that play at my pace. Its those pesky groups in front of me that ruin it.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
wmhardware

Then there's the other side of the coin where you end up playing with guys who have a great time by drinking a 12 pack of beer and smoking dope during the round. I guess given the choice between the two groups I'd choose the partyers over the bad attitudes, but I don't care much for either. Hitting a pured forged 4 iron to a 210 yard par 3 over water and sticking it 10 feet is a way better "high" to me than the booze or dope can provide.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Loonakind

I just dont let this kind of stuff bother me. Yesterday I did a bit of networking on the course and the two guys I was paired with were GREAT guys. I really enjoy getting paired with random people as sometimes they are the best rounds. The guys I played with yesterday had a vast knowledge of the course and gave me an experience I wouldnt have had otherwise.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
lidya-sggf

Then there's the other side of the coin where you end up playing with guys who have a great time by drinking a 12 pack of beer and smoking dope during the round. I guess given the choice between the two groups I'd choose the partyers over the bad attitudes, but I don't care much for either. Hitting a pured forged 4 iron to a 210 yard par 3 over water and sticking it 10 feet is a way better "high" to me than the booze or dope can provide.
Awe man, if you told me it was a cast 4 iron, I was there with you till the end.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
RokeIdeadioke

I think that attitudes are contagious. Someone with a bad one can infect an entire group and make them all miserable. Of course, a positive one can be just as infectious.

Some bad attitudes are beyond help.

In a tournament atmosphere, where you're paired with the competition, I'm sure it's different.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
CKDIWEQ

I have never really had an issue with the speed in my own group. I know it sounds weird, but I can harass people enough to pick up the pace. I play what some would call fast golf as was seen in the streaming coverage of the MC, but I know very few that play at my pace. Its those pesky groups in front of me that ruin it.
Need a, "Playing Lessons with JB" book.

Chapter 1: You Snooze, You Lose

Sent from my HTC One X

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
gyjsdtuwr

I think that attitudes are contagious. Someone with a bad one can infect an entire group and make them all miserable. Of course, a positive one can be just as infectious.

Some bad attitudes are beyond help.

In a tournament atmosphere, where you're paired with the competition, I'm sure it's different.
As far as positive attitude being contagious,, I did everything I could to try and increase their "enthusiasm". After I politely asked one of them to "shake it off", he said he didn't want to! I guess 2 of them just wanted to be miserable.

It was our club championship.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
lidya-sggf

FB,
You have to come down to the Atlantic City Tour Van Event and see some positive attitudes. Good stuff at things such as this.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
r9tbayfC

As a former "that guy that says the game sucks," I've learned how to relax when I really do have a bad day, and to just be quiet. Problem is, now everyone knows when I'm mad because I get real quiet and don't say anything. Then they just start making fun of me, and I typically loosen up then.

But yes, those types of players really do suck to play with. I played with one in a city tournament, I really just felt bad for the guy more than anything. He had a horrible round with a lot of bad breaks too, I was just hoping he'd decide to have fun with it.

~Rock

Old 08-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
gyjsdtuwr

FB,
You have to come down to the Atlantic City Tour Van Event and see some positive attitudes. Good stuff at things such as this.
JB, I checked after you made the announcement. It is 5 hours from me. Still thinking about it though..

Reply to Thread New Thread