LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #21
duceswild

It really is a personal decision, and, as others have alluded to, it depends on what part of your wedge game is more important. I have played both wedges, and the SM4s just work better for my game. I don't find the sole of the ATVs to be any more vesatile than any other wedge out there, but I do like the low leading edge that makes it very easy to get the face on the ball when chipping or hitting from tight lies. OTOH, that same feature seems to cause me issues in the sand. The SM4s are not the spinniest wedges out there, though. If I was buying new wedges today, I would go with the SM4s with the KBS Hi-rev shafts, and probably add on those same Lamkin wedge grips that come standard on the ATVs. I might even re-shaft my SM4s, but I've got them so dialed in right now I am scared to make any changes.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #22
propolo

Check your info on those Vokey wedges including how they are made.
Fine, I was just explaining what I was told by the pro shop when I ordered a custom wedge-hence the Custom serial numbers I had on all three

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
Ceakicknunk

Fine, I was just explaining what I was told by the pro shop when I ordered a custom wedge-hence the Custom serial numbers I had on all three
You need to tell that pro shop that they are incorrect.
Nevermind, you edited your post and removed the incorrect info.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
propolo

You need to tell that pro shop that they are incorrect.
Nevermind, you edited your post and removed the incorrect info.
You'd be surprised the amount of incorrect info they give out, one guy tried to convince me that the R11 irons were forged. . .I usually have to do my homework before I buy something there.

Anyways, OP, I would give them both a run, maybe your pro shop was a demo club you can take out on a round, the best way to decide is to try them out and see which wedges you like best. I can say with confidence though that I will be gaming the 56 ATV for a while since it's really complemented my game.

By the Way there are other notable wedges out there such as the Cleveland 588s, and SCOR wedges as well as many other notable wedges out there, try them all.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
Gudronich

Guess I'm the minority, not a Titleist homer ( or a homer of anything ) but I have yet to find something close to the Vokeys - for me. Now, truth be told - I haven't tried the ATV's. Really have no reason to do so.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #26
propolo

Guess I'm the minority, not a Titleist homer ( or a homer of anything ) but I have yet to find something close to the Vokeys - for me. Now, truth be told - I haven't tried the ATV's. Really have no reason to do so.
That's what I though too, just try one out, you go nothing to lose haha, you may or may not like it but it's worth a try

Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #27
r9tbayfC

I think what most have said is pretty true. What it really comes down to is how it feels in your hands, and if what you do leads to the result you want. I have a vokey, not the SM4, but whatever the last model was. I love it, would never give it away. But it took me a whole summer to get to the point where I understood what would happen when I would swing any particular way. I also actually like a little heavier club. Not a fan of super light.

At the same time, I swung an ATV earlier this year, and it was magic in my hands. I instantly felt like I understood everything the ball would do based on how I swung the club.

In the end, wedges are pretty feel oriented, so if it doesn't feel right, I probably wouldn't get it.

Just my two cents on it.

~Rock

Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
Efksqhyu

I've had an oil can vokey 58* for the last 2 months and its...okay. IDK its a cool color but I'm not really loving it. My favorite wedge is my Nike VR Pro that I have bent to 54 from 56 with a DG spinner in it that I won on THP 2 years back. I think its a better wedge than the Vokey at least for me but it's also got the old grooves so hard to really tell. The ATV's look great and I've thought about buying a 52* and bending my Nike back to 56 or maybe 57 and dropping the Vokey.

I'm sure the Vokey can do wonders in the right person's hands, guess I'm just not the right person for them.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #29
NeroASERCH

All great comments... I like the ATV based on looks alone. Don't forget the Cobra Trusty Rusty's!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
Twelearly

All great comments... I like the ATV based on looks alone. Don't forget the Cobra Trusty Rusty's!
The rusty has me interested but from most of what I have read is that it doesn't produce much spin. Now in my opinion spin is more based on technique but I wonder if the rust factor after a few months of use would help increase the spin

Reply to Thread New Thread