LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
cialesxtr

Default Par 5 what do you do?
So here is my question and it happens to me about once a round.
When your on a par 5 and can hit the green in two and the group infront of you is just pulling the pin and you look at the tee box and the group behind you is looking at you with there tee in the ground. Do you wait for the green to clear or play a lay up so the group behind you can get off the tee box? I usually end up thinking about pace of play and hit the lay up but when the hole is done I'm always thinking man I should have waited I could have hit that. What do you do?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
OGOGOogoloshennya

I will usually wait if I am playing well. If I'm just knocking the ball around I'll go ahead and get out of the way. In the past I have let the group behind hit their tee shots while I'm waiting.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
aLZ9zKsO

I will usually wait if I am playing well. If I'm just knocking the ball around I'll go ahead and get out of the way. In the past I have let the group behind hit their tee shots while I'm waiting.
+1 This is exactly what I do. Most golfers understand so it's not that big of a deal. My only problem is when the group in front is waiting to hit when there 280 out thinking they can get there. A majority of Pro's can't get there. Big dreams I guess, I know I've been guilty of this, but at least I was downwind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
acneman

No idea, pretty seldom I ever hit the green in two, lol. Let me ask you a question, would you understand if you were on the tee waiting and could see why someone was not playing on? I myself would wait, if the guys behind have a problem then they can go pack sand, jmho.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Phouepou

Depends what club I plan to have in my hand. If I have a 3w, Ill just lay up. If I have an iron, Ill tell everyone to walk up to their ball and then I hit not to slow down pace.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Pete789

agreed. In my opinion it matters on how your playing and how the day is going as well. If you are always waiting for the group in front of you when you are on the tee then it might not be a bad idea to let them clear the green.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
estheticianI

I usually wait. I figure even if I lay up, I will soon have to wait on another tee box again for the group in front of me so it won't matter if I wait a couple of minutes.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
nerrttrw

I wait. If I think I can hit it in 2 that's what I'll try to do.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
StanWatts

I would wait as I never want to hit anyone. If I can get there in two that day. Safety first. Second I golf with people who play recreationally. If pace of play is followed then I want them to learn this great game an have fun. I understand rythem is a great thing to have going. Yet, safety first. Especially if the course is packed.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
OGOGOogoloshennya

I would wait as I never want to hit anyone. If I can get there in two that day. Safety first. Second I golf with people who play recreationally. If pace of play is followed then I want them to learn this great game an have fun. I understand rythem is a great thing to have going. Yet, safety first. Especially if the course is packed.
Definitely, my options are wait or lay up, no way am I going to hit anywhere close to the green if they are still on it.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
cypedembeda

I'm gonna wait and go for it.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
O25YtQnn

See how I'm hitting it and depends how far it is and what way the winds blowing and stuff like that. Why should I let the people behind hit up if it means they'll be up our ass's more, if I was in their situation I would let the group in front get ahead a bit so we're not waiting round on all the tees.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
MrGunjMan_

I wait for the group ahead to clear the green. Either way you are going to end up slowing them down because of the group ahead.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
Lapsiks

I would see what position I'm in, in tournament golf if I think I am in with a shout and need the birdie I will wait, if I know I am doing crap and no matter what happens I am going to do crap I will just lay one up so as not to disrupt others

~Shane

Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Wrencytet

Are you saying to try to get there in 1? I dont know of any par 5's i can possibly reach in 1. If you mean to go for in two: To be honest, it just kinda sucks for the group behind. Im not one of the people who thinks they can bomb everything, but when i do think i can go for something, i go for it. There are 3 VERY eagle-able par 5's (450yd, 480 yd, 500yd)at my home course, and i go for all of them. I know its just one stroke to lay up, but one stroke on 3 holes is 3 strokes. Im not giving up 3 strokes for pace of play, let alone 1.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
OGOGOogoloshennya

It doesn't really change pace of play at all. You can't make your third shot until the green is clear anyway. At most you are adding a couple minutes, and you will go ahead and catch back up on the next hole anyway.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
marcusdexz

I usually wait and then either top it or hit it fat anyway.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
hieklyintinee

Typically if it's busy and the group on the tee box is waiting, I will lay it up and move on.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
juptVatoSoito

Wait and go for it. Although, if I have to wait to long, with to many thoughts, I usually won't come close to the green!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Phouepou

It doesn't really change pace of play at all. You can't make your third shot until the green is clear anyway. At most you are adding a couple minutes, and you will go ahead and catch back up on the next hole anyway.
It really does. If you lay up, you can hit, everyone else hits, you all walk to your shots , and by then the green would be clear and no one had to wait a whole long time.

But if you wait, then you're holding up the people behind you, and after you fail, duff it, then miss the green, blade it across, chip on, and 3 putt for 8, everyone behind you has watched your escapade, probably from the same spot that you just waited from.

Reply to Thread New Thread