LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
ballerturfali

Default Practicing
Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question but I need the expertise of my fellow THPer's lol.

I am a fairly high handicapper and I have been playing for about 2 years. Due to work and family obligations, I only get to play golf about once a month. I've taken some lessons that helped my game initially but lately my improvement has been very very marginal. I know it is because I don't go to the range often enough and I'm not playing actual rounds enough.

For all you fellow THPer's (especially the ones with low handicaps)........my question is, do you think practicing 1-2 times a week for an hour or so consistently is enough to make a difference?

For the last 6 months I will go to the range a day before I get to play 18 holes. It hasn't made a difference at all. I've been told that I'll never get better only playing golf once a month and practicing once a month. So far this seems to be true. In your opinion, will adding 4-8 hours a month of practice time be enough to start lowering my score?

I searched the forums and couldn't find a thread similiar to this question......but I apologize in advance if it has been asked before or if you guys think its a waste of time question lol.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
citicroego

My personal story I do not get to practice but when I have it's been short game and my scores have dropped from high 80's to very low 80's the last 4 rounds. If you think about your shots you hit a limited number of drivers and iron shots. I know it sounds redundant but yes I think you can get better by working on your short game! What issues are you having on the course?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
ballerturfali

My personal story I do not get to practice but when I have it's been short game and my scores have dropped from high 80's to very low 80's the last 4 rounds. If you think about your shots you hit a limited number of drivers and iron shots. I know it sounds redundant but yes I think you can get better by working on your short game! What issues are you having on the course?
Really it is a bit of everything but mostly irons and pitching. Putting is decent and is the least part of my problem

Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Percocetti

I love to go to the practice range. I find it very relaxing.
I am an 18 handicap and only play once a week, so you have to take this for what it's worth. One thing worth saying is you MUST practice with a purpose. If you just go there and bang balls you will only hurt your game more!

I try to hit the range twice a week in the summer and once a week in winter. I'll hit 60 balls out on the range, sometimes working on hybrids, 6 and 7 iron, other days I may just hit a bunch of 8 irons. I all depends on how I feel. I always want to leave the range on a positive note, that is feeling I know I can hit my clubs well and knowing what clubs might give me trouble under pressure.
I also will hit about 100 chips on the chipping green. The distance varies from about 25 yards in. I then hit the practice green with about 60-100 putts.
All up it takes about 1.5 - 2 hrs.
The biggest advantage of practice (for me) is:
1) I enjoy it
2) It lets me know I can hit the clubs (confidence)
3) It ingrains ball placement and stance, one less thing to think about during normal play
4) It will continually show me the weak points of my game (swing to hard, hip sway, head movement and such)

I am still working on my chipping and my 3-4 ft putts (those are my Achilles heel)!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Ekrbcbvh

Not to over simplify this, but like anything in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The more you practice, and practice with a plan, the better you will get. JMO

Old 09-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Indoendris

I'm not a low handicap, but my opinion is that you will have a hard time making swing changes after your lessons if you don't practice to build the muscle memory. Also, golf is very much about feel; I think you have to be practicing frequently to develop that feel.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Sandvikla

I'm not a low handicap, but my opinion is that you will have a hard time making swing changes after your lessons if you don't practice to build the muscle memory. Also, golf is very much about feel; I think you have to be practicing frequently to develop that feel.
I totally agree with this. I got into golf a year ago and have taken lessons regularly during that time. I think I've made decent progress over that time, and I attribute it to the fact that I practice 5-6 days per week. During the winter most of that is using a mat and net in my garage, since most of my practice time is during the evenings. Because of the lessons I'm always working on something and my swing has been evolving over time. So I'm a bit paranoid that if I don't practice for 3-4 days I'll loose the feel and the muscle memory. I don't feel the need to put in really long sessions - some days only 30 minutes, but at least enough to get the feel of the swing.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Beragagnu

This game requires practice. Even if it's basic swings in the back yard to develop muscle memory. But quality practice is a hard thing to learn. Short game drills are out there which you can also work with whiffle balls aid space is limited. It's a commitment to you and your game is what it boils down IMO. Cheers

Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
feannigvogten

A newbie perspective:

I'm always amazed at those (not necessarily THPers) that refuse to practice in order to improve. My favorite reasons:

I don't want to leave my good shots on the range.
I get all the practice I need when I play (this one cracks me up).
I don't want to waste my money, I'd rather play.
The pros don't practice, they play practice rounds (did not hear this here).

Now, I get that playing is generally more fun than practicing, but I look at it in terms of finance - it costs me $35 a month for a range membership. I can hit and use the practice green all I want. When I play (once a week) in runs the gamut $25-50, and when I drop that cash I'd like to do better than I did the week before. If I don't practice, I'm going to always suck. I really want to eventually play at least in the 90s consistently (i have a ways to go). I have to practice to accomplish this or just flush $$ down the toilet.

Most of you have pretty good game... But I've read each and every one crabbing about having trouble with certain shots. Yes, it's important to be able to pull it off "in play", however if you can't consistently hit "name that shot/distance" in practice, how can you expect to hit it consistently in play.

It seems to me that folks hurt themselves by refusing to practice, and that makes no sense to me.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
qilmuz6v

Draw up a plan, literally on a piece of paper

First decide how much time you can give to practice, I don’t care if it’s 30 min a week, or 30 hours a week. Every little bit helps, but you can also overdo it to a point, wear yourself and body down, also pick up some bad habits.

You need to practice smart, know your weaknesses, look for answers through lessons, DVD’s , here, where ever. We are all built different and thinking differently so one way to practice for someone else may not be the best way for you.

Basic I think most will agree is always address all three phases, long game (driver/irons) short game (chipping/putting) and then putting. Whichever of these is your weakest link, put first, and maybe allot more time for that area, but never leave the others untouched.

I am a range rat, I love to practice, but these days I just don’t have the time, but I always make sure I get about an hour during the week, and if I am not playing that weekend, then I add another hour or so.

Keep a small notebook in your bag, and write down your “ah ha” moments, these moments when something feels right or clicks, and try to capture those thoughts or moments to review later, or read through before a round.

None of this will take much time, and once you get in a habit it’s easier to keep up.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
forotis

I would agree that if you have a limited amount of time to practice, the best way to utilize that time would be to improve your short game. Even if your putting is your best at the moment, it can always get better. Becoming comfortable with your pitch/feel shots will give your game a boost of confidence knowing that you have a great chance of getting up and down. Making those hard par's will help you lower your score much more than you'd think.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
tsovimnpb

Super Dave - I'd say practicing a couple of times a week for an hour will only help. But it depends on how you are practicing. If you are going to the range and just smashing ball after ball, I don't see a great use of time there. But if you can hit balls by developing a routine for 30 minutes and then use the other 30 minutes to work on short game, I think you'd see some improvement in your game. Also what I'd do when you are taking full swings, find a few clubs that you are very confident in, make them even stronger for you, and work on the scoring irons. That way when you are on the course you know that you only have to get to say 100-130 yards out and you will be confident in how you are going to approach the green.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
MIBgirlsXXL

I would say that if you are going to play/practice that infrequently, spend most of the time putting/chipping if you want to see any improvement. Personally, my long game didn't improve from a high 20s cap until I started to p/p at least 5 times a week. Now, if you can afford for 1 of your 2 sessions a week of practice to be doing actual lessons with a pro, you'll improve dramatically (especially if you can play and practice at least once each between lessons).

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
MIBgirlsXXL

I love this idea. I'll probably end up using my phone as opposed to a physical notebook, but I'm definitely implementing this.
It works great. I find whenever I have a bad stretch, it clicks back in when I realize I've forgotten one of my 'swingpifanies'. It actually happened today when I realized I wasn't keeping my left arm straight; immediately my slice stopped and I gained back the yardage leak I'd been seeing. I have 5 of them that I've discovered over the years: Up not back, full shoulder turn, slow and low backswing, straight left arm, and my first move in my downswing needs to feel like it's a strong move straight down. Luckily they're simple enough I can remember them (though when I play poorly, it usually takes me a bunch of rounds to figure out which is my problem). The notebook really is a good idea!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
joe-salton

I try to practice 2-3 times a week especially if I'm not playing that week. It's made huge improvements in my game. But I'm also going through a ton of changes this year. In almost all aspects of my game, so I need to ingrain these new techniques into my head. I know I play better when I practice or play a lot. and it's cheaper than playing rounds. I really think any more time you can put into practicing will help. Good luck

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
awagsFare

A newbie perspective:

I'm always amazed at those (not necessarily THPers) that refuse to practice in order to improve. My favorite reasons:

I don't want to leave my good shots on the range.
I get all the practice I need when I play (this one cracks me up).
I don't want to waste my money, I'd rather play.
The pros don't practice, they play practice rounds (did not hear this here).

Now, I get that playing is generally more fun than practicing, but I look at it in terms of finance - it costs me $35 a month for a range membership. I can hit and use the practice green all I want. When I play (once a week) in runs the gamut $25-50, and when I drop that cash I'd like to do better than I did the week before. If I don't practice, I'm going to always suck. I really want to eventually play at least in the 90s consistently (i have a ways to go). I have to practice to accomplish this or just flush $$ down the toilet.

Most of you have pretty good game... But I've read each and every one crabbing about having trouble with certain shots. Yes, it's important to be able to pull it off "in play", however if you can't consistently hit "name that shot/distance" in practice, how can you expect to hit it consistently in play.

It seems to me that folks hurt themselves by refusing to practice, and that makes no sense to me.
I agree spazzdog. I mean, I guess it's fine for the person who strictly goes out to have fun with friends and really doesn't care what he shoots. But for players who play it as a competition or want to play better, it frustrates me, because I can't practice much at all because of my back issue, and they can. If I could, I would practice 3-4 times a week. My son just got the bug, and I take him weekly, and I hit a limited amount with him, and it's targeted to the major weaknesses in my game. I have a friend, 37, not married, no kids, plenty of money - and he just won't practice. He took some time off from the game because he was struggling, thinking that would help. That helps some who have maybe got too intense, or have played & practiced too much, but I don't think it's gonna help a guy who plays once a week...

Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
tabcdyop

Over the long haul, you either get better or don't get better. To get better, you have to do something to get better. If you don't do anything, you will not improve. If 4-8 hours is all you have then so be it. That is better than not doing anything.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
feannigvogten

Thanks Hanks... I so wish I'd been in a headspace where I could enjoy golf at an earlier age. I really think it might have been "the sport" for me where I could have excelled. As it is, I played at a jillion other things at a mediocre/recreational level because it required certain attributes I never had no matter my level of fitness.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
qilmuz6v

BigBall, I sound somewhat like your friend except the plenty of money part, but I am a range rat, I love to practice, but time is limited so I try and break it up over the week. I took a little time away from playing 50-60 rounds a year, think last year I played 8-10 times, I had just gotten to a point I need to step back some, but I still practiced about 20 times as well to make sure the rust did not set in too deep.

One thing talking about practice and time at the range, is you can do other things that will help your golf game. All depends on your fitness level, but you can add work out programs, either gym or home that are geared towards golf, stretches, core work, putting at home etc… that can all lead to a better game.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
ticskebasse

i use the short range for 7-wedges at the course that's on post where i work...or i hit the chipping/putting green at my club at lunch EVERY day...i switch up both places every other day...always working on either putting, short game or swing fixes with the 7i at the range...i play better when i practice, and since the practice is free, why not? here in NJ, greens fees aren't cheap. i'm not one to blow $85+/round to hack it up.

Reply to Thread New Thread