LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
irrascaft

Default Played 36 today. Frustrated.
Why is it that when I go to my lesson on Fridays I hit the ball straight as an arrow and consistent as hell. But I get my ass on the course and nothing works. Don't get me wrong, I didn't shoot horrible on the first 18, (82) but my driver was crap, I hit some really poor iron shots. Irritated.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Emapymosy

How much time between friday and today did you spend swinging a club?

--
Tapatalk2

Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Kristoferson

Did you get any practice in before you started today?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Varbaiskkic

I'm sure you've heard it before but sometimes it takes a while for swing changes to set in; you probably just need more range time for it to get to the point that you don't have to think about what you are doing.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Tic Tac Took

I'm the same way man, I keep going to the range and hit it great and then I get to the course and I can't hit well off the tee lately. I'm sure with time it will come around, thats golf. Just be patient and I'm sure it will come around for you dude.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
irrascaft

No practice since Friday. I work crazy hours so it's tough. We are in the process of steepening my swing, a month and a half ago I was very Kuchar like. It's just frustrating that, at the lesson I'm money, and every other round I'm good, played Wednesday shot 78. I'm just venting, sorry.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
Emapymosy

No practice since Friday. I work crazy hours so it's tough. We are in the process of steepening my swing, a month and a half ago I was very Kuchar like. It's just frustrating that, at the lesson I'm money, and every other round I'm good, played Wednesday shot 78. I'm just venting, sorry.
Nothing wrong with venting. Gotta get some swings in though to engrain that feeling. I keep a club in the house and take a few whenever I get a chance. High ceilings ftw!,

--
Tapatalk2

Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Dwemadayday

Don't know about you but at the range some shots that looks pretty fair would be in deep trouble on the course, I tend to forget those range shots. Also on the course you may be over thinking about what happens if you miss hit the shot instead of relaxing and swinging through the ball. That pretty well described me anyhow. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Tic Tac Took

Well even pros who work at their game every day shoot rounds +/- 5 strokes of what they shot the day before at the exact same course, so who are we as amateurs to complain when we normally shoot about 80 and then we have a few rounds around 85. Just keep working at it and it will come around. One thing I have learned: getting angry that it isn't working on the course causes you to lose your focus. Just go out there, be patient, and let it happen.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
LillyPlay

I feel your pain, my last 6 rounds have been: 72 (PB today ), 80, 87, 88, 82, and 73. The inconsistency is frustrating, but this ain't the easiest game. I didn't even think about before I started entering scores on OOB; but since doing it and seeing my HC go from around 20, down to 9, then back to 10.7, my blood pressure feels the effect.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
theonsushv

range golf vs course golf

it's almost as if they're completely unrelated

practicing is good, but good practice doesn't mean you'll play well. Playing so close to a lesson may put your head in a strange place too, where you're overthinking things on the course rather than just hitting the ball.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
xesvideo

Well, my question is what is your expectation. Your handicap is 8, and 82 is just two over. At 8 you can't expect the 70s, but relish it when it comes. Keep at it, changing a swing can take a while, and I am watching my dad do one and it's hit and miss.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
EspanaCamsInfo

I feel your frustration. It might take some time for that lesson to sink into your swing. You've got your muscle memory to deal with and quite easily you resort back to old habits. Give it some time and keep working at it.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
ptmQqoxw

Did you warm up before your round? Hit some balls or just swing the club?

I know some people will say it doesn't make that much of a difference but it certainly does for me. If i tee up on #1 with out a warm up or stretching out I'll be really tense for the first couple of holes.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
ådrrraj

I hate it when that happens. I notice that if I don't have time to practice before playing a round, I just stretch and it works much better.

When I don't stretch my game is completely gone. . . That's what I hate about the driving range, to me there isn't any pressure like on the course.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
metrocartockasur

Because the FW at the range is 200 yards wide and on the course it's only 30. Gotta "free swing" it and only have positive visual images and thoughts.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
Zptmsemk

Don't know about you but at the range some shots that looks pretty fair would be in deep trouble on the course, I tend to forget those range shots. Also on the course you may be over thinking about what happens if you miss hit the shot instead of relaxing and swinging through the ball. That pretty well described me anyhow. Good luck.
I agree! I have the same problems from time to time where I think "I was striping in on the range" - then I remember the range is 100 yards wide with no bunkers, no waters, and no trees. I've gotten to the point where I just do what I can and try not to be to precise about where I put the ball, kind of an "I'll deal with it when I get there" sort of thought process.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
Oberjej

Yeah I think most have better range than golf time. You are practicing making your swing better, not trying to crush it on the range. I notice I try too hard on the course sometimes

Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Trikaduliana

As an amateur (actually more of a weekend hacker) its tough to play a game somewhere between the uber-technical world of a Sean Foley and the self-taught, "just rip it" mentality of a Bubba Watson. Yesterday I played a course for the first time, started on #10 and shot a 43. The other 3 guys had all played there before and have games even with mine if not better and 2 didn't break 50, the 3rd was a couple shots behind me.

We start the front 9 and I go 8 - 8 ?!?!?!?! Suddenly I didn't know which end of the club to hold... Then finished the side, par-bogey-par, hitting 2 good drives, 3 good irons shots and sinking a couple of 4-5 foot putts.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
WumibBesowe

Uggghhh... yeah this is annoying. I usually hit about 50-100 balls before a round, hit them straight, shape shots like I want to and everything goes great but as soon as I play that round, it's not so great.
I figure it's hitting the balls of the mat vs. actual grass and different lies.

Reply to Thread New Thread