LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Itrtuawh

Default 30 or 60 minute Lessons
My game is in disarray at the moment and will be starting lessons this Thursday,in the past I have heard people say that an hour is too long or 30 is too short,don't take em to close together yada yada,what's your take on this?How much time is your preferred lesson time and how close do you space them out?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Loonerisav

The way I'm doing it now -

60 minutes the first time, which included a swing eval, plan, etc. 30 minutes from there on out, sometimes a little longer. I've been going weekly to every other week, depending on our schedule.

Not sure if it's preferrable, but it seems to be working fine for me.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Uciaucrx

60 minutes of instruction every other week for me.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
loginptsa

my instructer only wants to do 30 min lessons. he says it doesnt do any good to try to cram all kinds of swing thoughts into an hour lesson. i enjoy the 30 minute lesson then i spend as much time after the lesson working on whatever drills we are doing. i also have started increasing the frequency to once per week.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
AlistDakisa

My instructor hates 30 min lessons. He'd prefer to do 45 minutes. Based on what I've seen so far, I agree with him. 30 minutes sure goes by fast but an hour would start to be too much.

I know that doesn't really answer the question at hand, so I'd say personally, I'd rather 60 minutes over 30. Then maybe go once every couple weeks.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
maxfreemann

Depends on you and your ability to absorb information, for me much more than 30 minutes and I feel like I'm going on overload

Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Xiciljed

mine are scheduled for 45 minutes and about half the time we go over that. Really depends on how the lesson is going. I really like this approach.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
MannoFr

Just like clubs, balls, range sessions, this truly comes down to personal preference, no? As an example, (outside opening my season up where I'll bang balls for 1-2 hours just to get my muscles going) I can't really practice for more than 30 minutes on any part of my game (full shots, chipping/pitching and putting). Once I get to ~ 30 minutes, I am junk.

I haven't taken that many lessons (two 10 minute freebies as part of MAY Free Lesson Month) and one 30 Minute Lesson last year. I am in the midst of three 30 minute lessons (every other week). I like the 30 minute lesson. It provides just enough information for me on what needs adjustment and then the training drills to attack those adjustments. I look at quality of the session and not the quantity.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Dominick Yo

We do 60 minutes. I like it. I get to know what he was saying, he had time to explain it. Then let me hit. It just allowed us enough time to get the feeling together.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Lgcjqxlw

mine last year were 30. Seemed to work fine. Sometimes we ran long because he didn't have anyone after me so it end up being like 45.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Itrtuawh

The instructor charges 60 an hour so I think I will do an hour every 2 to 3 weeks for maybe 3 months then I will cut it to 30 minutes for three months,also when do you feel it is time to stop the lessons or will you go for life lol

Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
usatramadolusa

30 Minutes works best for me.

60 Minute sessions just get too long. It can go too long in two different directions, one, you may get tired of working on just one or two things for an hour, or two, the instructor may try to go over too many things during the hour that you can't remember something brought up 20 minutes ago.

Your initial lesson will probably be 60 minutes, then 30 minute sessions are typically the norm.

Either way, you won't get anything out of the lessons if you do not take the time to practice what you have learned between lessons. That is where the bulk of the time should be put in.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
Itrtuawh

30 Minutes works best for me.

60 Minute sessions just get too long. It can go too long in two different directions, one, you may get tired of working on just one or two things for an hour, or two, the instructor may try to go over too many things during the hour that you can't remember something brought up 20 minutes ago.

Your initial lesson will probably be 60 minutes, then 30 minute sessions are typically the norm.

Either way, you won't get anything out of the lessons if you do not take the time to practice what you have learned between lessons. That is where the bulk of the time should be put in.
agreed on the practicing part as the last time I took lessons I didn't practice enough

Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
KlaraNovikoffaZ

I prefer 60 minutes, That gives me and my coach plenty of time to explain and for me to instill it in my brain. I could go longer to, I think 30 minutes is to short unless your game is spot on and need a tweak or something.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
durootrium

My game is in disarray at the moment and will be starting lessons this Thursday,in the past I have heard people say that an hour is too long or 30 is too short,don't take em to close together yada yada,what's your take on this?How much time is your preferred lesson time and how close do you space them out?
My PGA teacher who has been giving lessons since the mid 60's normally gives 30 minute lessons. They go longer only if there is a playing lesson added on at the end or time on the putting green while working on putting/short game. I think he believes that 60 minutes can to TMI.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
joeyCanada

I think it all depends on what its for. If you're doing video I would think at least an hour. I would do 30 minute lesssons when just looking for a quick tuneup.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #17
outdog

It depends on what you are doing, and how much exchange is going on. I would say 60 minutes + or -. SOme of my lessons ran a little long and some a little short. The instructor I have been working with recently isn't a clock watcher and if we are in the middle of some things we keep going. In the end the time works out. When I am taking lesons, I go every week or two.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #18
hotsaucemidl

I like 30. Just focus on 1-2 things rather than get too many thoughts stuck in my head.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #19
Everwondopedo

Mine are 30, but it seems to fly by fairly quickly. I think if I had the option, I would do 60 minute lessons and a short practice session right after. Lately, I've been scheduling a lesson about every other week. That gives me plenty of time to work on what was taught.

Reply to Thread New Thread