LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-24-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
teentodiefows

I don't know if there is too much you can do. My dog loves toys, so he's been pretty content when we've taken long trips. He's only 8 lbs. too, so he can kind of move in the car, at least a little. We schedule a few extra stops when we've taken him though.

I'm from Illinois and live in Florida now. We've taken him to Illinois. About a 19 hour trip by car. I've done this trip several times. There's this rest stop we went to in Chattanooga, TN that has a dog area with some trails. We went over there and walked around and let him stretch his legs for about 15 minutes or so. It adds some time to the trip, but we figured he needed a break.

We've also brought a ball along in case one of these areas is empty so we could throw it around for him. That really gets some energy out. It's not going to be fenced in or anything, so your dog would have to be really good at obeying when you call him.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
dfuzioniag

I drive a mustang, so there is no room for a divider. I always keep the litter box in the car, but the cat hasn't used it yet. I keeep fresh water in the car and toys. I try not to stop for food unless I can park the car under a tree and eat lunch with them outside.

I alway have my vet records with me because I travel across international borders.

I guess I need to motivate myself to stop more often! But when I'm travelling long distances I don't want to stop unless I have to.

I'm lucky my pets are good travellers.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
zzquo0iR

So the cat doesn't use the kitty litter box at all while in the car? How long are you in the car each time? Do you stay at hotels at night and they'll use it then?

Old 09-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
anconueys

My nan does it with her dog. She goes to France for 4-6 months a year and the dog travels with her. To get to her destination it's a 6 hour drive here in England, an 8 hour ferry ride. Then a 2 hour drive in France.
The dog does it fine. as long as you have regular stops to let him stretch his legs etc.
I believe to come back into the UK you need to go have a vet visit a week before you come back into the UK?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Hdzcxqoi

Honestly, there isn't much. Take frequent breaks and let the pup run around as much as s/he can and get some kind of divider like the other person said. I give my dog some toys and then take breaks every hour or so that way she can stretch her legs.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
dfuzioniag

Default Travelling in Cars on Long Trips
I travel long distances with my dog (and cat) several times a year in my small car. I want to know if you have any ideas on how to make travelling with my dog easier.

I bring water and food and some toys. And I stop when I can to let him out. But I want to make the trip easier on him. Suggestions?

Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
zzquo0iR

Definitely schedule in extra time for rest stop breaks. Even if you don't need to pee or you don't think the dog does, just being able to walk for a while is great relief. They're used to being able to do it whenever they feel like it.

If you have an overly active/excitable/stressed dog, you may even want to get a light sedative from the vet to help him stay calm during the trip. It sounds like you've done this before, though, and that's probably not the case.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
12Cickprior

Thanks for asking. I was also wondering if there was anything else that could be done for pups on long road trips. I travel with my little ones too. We take frequent stops when they can get out. Traveling in the U.S. there are always rest stops, but not all are dog friendly Some have "pet walks" but they're too close to the road! Anyone else travel within the U.S.? Know of any good rest stops or even areas that are more suited to let the dogs out to stretch their legs??

Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Usesdiums

You may want to try a big metal screen that divides you and your pets. It would cover the entire area behind the front seats. It will keep your dog from attacking someone if they are trying to help you in the case of an accident. It will also keep your cat from having to be in a cage. Make sure the back seats are down. You may also consider bringing a litter box with fresh litter. Your cat may or may not use it, but it would certainly be worth the try. On really long trips, you may need to have records of your pets' rabies shots with you. Some motels will not take your pet without it.

Reply to Thread New Thread