LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Adollobdeb

im on the bus back home, would have been there today but the bus was full yesterday and i couldnt get on. im like 15 hours away, i cant wait, my roommate said that both dogs are doing great, he lets them out in the backyard and they run around for awhile and then they come back in and that calvin does good with him, thou he doesnt when im home so im confused about that, but i will see how they are when i get there, i have missed them and been so worried about them, but i have kept in contact with my roommate and from what he says calvins doing good, thou it has me suspicous about calvin doing so good with him, he doesnt do good with anyone but me. ill let yall know how they are when i get there tomorrow morning

Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Adollobdeb

Default NEED AdVICE
so family emergency happened and i am headed out for a few days, no more than a week, and i cant bring my dog, i have no clue what to do with him, i would just let my roommate take care of him, the bad one is no longer living here he went to jail, but he is scared of everyone, i feel soooo bad about having to leave, i never go anyplace ever but have to go this time, any suggestions on what i can do with my calvin while i am away?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
23InetrySypekek

No friends or family around? Maybe a dog sitter? I'm not sure I've never ran into this problem.Maybe you could board him, as a last resort. I don't know how healthy boarding him would be, I don't know much about it. Maybe other members can chime in, I'm sure someone had ran into this problem as well. Best of luck to you. I hope you can figure something out that both you and Calvin are happy, safe and comfortable.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Seiblybiozy

In that situation, if there's no place he would feel safer then leaving him at home with your roommate is probably the best idea. Is Calvin OK with your roomie walking and feeding, etc?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Adollobdeb

well i think that if i get my roommate to walk him then he will be ok with him, thats what it took for him to be ok with me, ill try it today and see how he is, if not then he can just let him out back in the yeard, ill get him used to the room next to mine that is empty that has a sliding glass door to the yard,

Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
anconueys

Boarding would be my last resort and that's ONLY if they take him outside alone and have him kenneled, alone. And UTD on shots of course.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Adollobdeb

yea i really dont want to bored at all, cause he is soooo skiddish of people and i dont know the other dogs, he is utd on shots, im just hoping i dont have to end up doing that

Old 07-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Sertvfdnhgjk

Maybe you can board him at your vet? Or with a trainer?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
DrBrightonone

Make sure you leave the roomie with very specific written instructions, emergency contacts (e vet, regular vet, people nearby) and a number or three to reach you at.

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
сайдинг

Also make sure your roomie keeps him kenneled while you are gone. If he's that skittish he might fear bite under the stress of you being gone if he were taken on a walk or strangers came over. I'd tell roomie to leave him in his kennel other than potty breaks and to please supervise him outside during potty time.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Seiblybiozy

I'd also fit him with a harness and a collar with ID, JUST in case he gets loose. Better to have more ID than usually needed. Also include a phone number where you can be reached while you're gone.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Marc Spilkintin

:-/

I don't see this ending well.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
Sertvfdnhgjk

:-/

I don't see this ending well.
Me neither. I hope the OP has found someone reliable to watch her dog and can update us upon her return.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #14
Adollobdeb

he already has id tags and ill be leaving numbers to get ahold of me and the vet numbers, i cant help what happened but i do have to go deal with it, im trying to find the some good advice just in case i do have to leave, if you dont have any advice please dont comment

Old 07-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
Ijkavylo

why don't you get a hotel/motel room that allows dogs and just take him and his kennel and some food with you? Unless the city you are going to has a breed ban.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #16
Adollobdeb

im going by bus, and the car ride if i were to take a car, which is out of the question, is 20 hours, its not a problem of keeping him when i get there its just i cant get him up there with me

Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
TeveVikep

In this situation I would just board the dog at a good kennel. Atleast thwy would know what to do with a dog like yours.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #18
Ijkavylo

I was unaware of the 20 hour car ride. I don't know; I'd still try and take my dogs with me regardless. But that's me. I don't trust anyone with my dogs. Not even my husband 100%. But if you can find a good kennel that is use to handling pit bulls and their mixes, and just board there. Um... With very clear notes on how to take care of your dog.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
сайдинг

If it were me, I'd take the 20 hr car ride over being worried sick about my dog. I'd be obsessed with "what if's" and would be useless. What if my dog gets loose and then lost or in a fight or hit by a car or bites someone because of fear? What if my dog sitter forgets to properly feed and water? What if my dog gets sick and the sitter doesn't have the sense to know a vet visit is warranted? What if something happens to traumatize my already fearful dog because the sitter wasn't thinking? On and on...

If you can afford to make the drive you might want to seriosly consider doing it so you can bring your dog.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
23InetrySypekek

Wow, 20 hours. That means that if something does go wrong you can not quickly return. I guess now that I know this I would either a. board him at an excellent facility that has the know how about how to care for him or b. bring him with you.
Thats a long trip, and with such a long trip I would also be obsessed with the "what ifs" like MJ.
You got great advice here. I don't think I can add much more. Best of luck to you and your pup

Reply to Thread New Thread