LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
elossenen

Default Just kinda curious about papers...
Why do some people charge more for their puppy with it's papers then without it's papers? What the heck can the LEGALLY do with the papers if someone doesn't take them?

example:http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/2970075208.html

Old 04-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Accecyncphory

That posting has been flagged.

But, they can't do anything with the papers. They think having a registered dog makes it worth more money... I don't know why.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
iodigmaFemZem

I didn't see the CL post before it was flagged, but my guess is they were selling registration papers (likely ADBA) for about $200 ... correct ?? ... and if so, very dishonest and unethical !!!

The reason people have papers is to have a proven pedigree ... a continuous line of known purebred dogs. With papers, a dog can also be entered in registry sanctioned events that they other wise wouldn't be able to participate in. Additionally, someone considering breeding a dog that is pedigreed and proven purebred ... would most likely only breed to a papered and purebred dog. Just some of the reasons why someone would value papers.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
elossenen

They where selling the dog with papers for 250 and with out papers for 175.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
iodigmaFemZem

Papered dog ...

Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
elossenen

Papered dog ...

Oh that's just silly! That dog is CLEARLY worth more then 200!!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Accecyncphory

LOL Joe!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
medio

People think a papered dog is automatically worthy by showing off it's lineage/ancestors, they may be, but the actuality of the dog being worthy itself, is never proven strictly based off of papers, period. So just because your dog has a pretty linage, doesn't redeem it as the same quality, until it can prove it itself.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
teewHettive

People think a dog is worth more with papers because it actually is since buyers will pay more for a papered dog.

Around here I have seen unpapered dogs selling for $50-$200. I have seen papered selling for $400-$800 and I have seen papered pups from competition champion dogs selling for $900-$15,000...no joke.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
CGH1KZzy

If the papers are legit and not from a fake/byb registry, then I understand why they charge more. A dog with papers is able to be shown/worked for titles...however if looking for only a pet an owner would be better opting for a dog without if the price is better and the homework has been done

Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
XiWm9O9S

If the papers are legit and not from a fake/byb registry, then I understand why they charge more. A dog with papers is able to be shown/worked for titles...however if looking for only a pet an owner would be better opting for a dog without if the price is better and the homework has been done
My dog has no papers and currently competes, for titles, under 2 separate organizations. When she starts trialing in agility, she will compete in a couple more. Not having papers does not mean a dog cannot compete, not anymore anyway. Once again, my free, unpapered, mutt, can do just about anything, except prance around a show ring.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
CGH1KZzy

My dog has no papers and currently competes, for titles, under 2 separate organizations. When she starts trialing in agility, she will compete in a couple more. Not having papers does not mean a dog cannot compete, not anymore anyway. Once again, my free, unpapered, mutt, can do just about anything, except prance around a show ring.
I was refering more to the prancing around a show ring....note the first thing I said was SHOWN. I was trying to make sure this person knew that an unpapered dog is just as good for a pet unless you want a show prospect then its worth the extra for papers.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
MasdMnPa

IMO charging more for papers is a scam used by BYBs to make more money.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
XiWm9O9S

I was refering more to the prancing around a show ring....note the first thing I said was SHOWN. I was trying to make sure this person knew that an unpapered dog is just as good for a pet unless you want a show prospect then its worth the extra for papers.
I understand. But you also said worked. Not having papers does not make a dog not able to work. IMO conformation showing should be the last thing on your mind if you're purchasing a dog. "Oh look, my dog conforms to a physical standard and has been subjectively judged by a few people that say that he does, in fact, conform to that standard." Ok, but what does it do? I never understood people that just do conformation. Conformation of physical standard is only 1 step of many in a process for selecting proper breeding stock and, IMO, should be the last thing considered, preceded by a dog passing all applicable health tests confirming a lessened degree of passing on genetic health problems.

If you're buying a dog, look into more than the Ch. in front of their name (unless from a proven line of game-bred dogs, where Ch. means more than prancing around a ring).

Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
andrekuper

You can't just pay money and get papers is the point, either the litter was registered or they weren't and I think every reputable registry has rules against charging more for registered/not. If the litter is papered you should get them, if the pup is pet quality they can be limited. That's my other gripe, people selling dogs one price for limited reg and more for full like if you pay another $200 your pup is suddenly breeding quality. There's enough mutts and dogs in shelters that there is no excuse for breeding dogs of unknown background anyways, I would never buy from someone who doesn't know or have their dogs ped.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
Nafheense

IMO charging more for papers is a scam used by BYBs to make more money.
It IS in fact against the CKC/AKC rules to charge more for a "papered" or registered dog.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
Pynctyncroast

But AKC offers the limited registration. So you can still charge more for a pup w/full priveleges. Honestly, I suspect AKC insists on not selling paperless pups because they lose out on the registration $. So you sell a pup, w/limited reg papers, but if it is bred, the AKC won't register the puppies. UKC didn't offer this (I don't keep up w/them now), so if you didn't want a puppy buyer breeding a pet quality dog, you witheld papers. Sometimes you would give the papers to the buyer once they could show proof of spay/neuter.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
8jIDXQ80

Paperwork is useless unless you are showing/breeding to sell. Pedigrees are more useful than a reg. certificate.
This stuff sounds like the bully breeder near me, they will sell you a pup for 2,000.00 with papers or 800.00 without.
When I have sold a couple to outsiders I always offer the pup without being registered but with a pedigree and they are given the option to have the pup registered at no extra added to what they are paying they just have to wait until the adba sends me the paperwork. I actually had a guy ask me how much more would the papers cost, I was a little shocked and told him 0. I don't see the sense in charging for a what to me seems like a useless piece of paper..

Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
Lypepuddyu

Pedigrees are more useful than a reg. certificate.
I guess I wonder where the war on "registered" dogs and the registration certificate comes from?
If a person realizes the papers mean nothing about the quality of the dog and does not pay more for them, what is wrong with him really wanting the registration papers?

Carla

Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
8jIDXQ80

Nothing is wrong with anyone wanting registration papers. Hell if you are going to show the dog then you need them but if not then they are useless. And really I think it is silly for anyone to charge extra for "papers" than they would for no papers. Just shows that they are all about the money.

Reply to Thread New Thread