LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Dkavtbek

Default Are these conflicting commands?
Hi, i am thinking about training my APBT for weight pulling. He is only a puppy, 3 months old. I know i can not start his training until he is older than 16 months, but I asked the trainer ( he started puppy training class this past Tuesday) if I can have him walk good on a loose leach and still have him work hard when he has to. She said that it might be hard due to contradictions in commands. Is this true? Are there any tricks to help them learn the difference? Are all weight pulling dogs hard to walk? Please help, iwant to learn as much as i can about this issue. Thank you for your comments/suggestions.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
sadgpokx

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you're trainer thinks that because you want your dog to be a weight-pull dog in the future, that your dog will then be unable to walk properly on a leash?

If so, get out of that class and find yourself a REAL trainer.

Dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. A weight-pull dog should still have the same leash manners as any other dog should have and by this I mean walking politely beside you and not dragging you after things or through your neighbors yard like a runaway train. Your arms should not feel as though they just got a serious workout when you are done walking your dog.

Dogs know when it's time to work. I've been around weight-pull dogs and I've been around true sled dogs (Alaskan Huskies). The fun begins when the harness goes on. And even then, your dog needs to be taught to stand patiently while the harness is put on and adjusted and not act a fool. Hell, even those Huskies that started jumping up and down off their dog houses and running their chains like crazy at the sight of the sled stood still as statues while being hooked up.

So get a real trainer...one who doesn't believe in stupid myths or excuse bad behavior because such dog is going to actually do some "work" in its life other than jump on and off the couch. Start work on all the basic obedience commands. And you can even buy just a small puppy harness and start working with your pup on standing still and patient while you put it on and take it off.

Find some local APBT shows near you and attend them (especially weight-pull events). Get to know other people that do the same things with their dogs and allow them to mentor you if they are willing.

Good luck with it!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
priordine

No, there is no contradiction in commands. My 1st weight pull dog also has a CGC obedience title. To have both a puller & an obedient dog is doable & in fact most successful pullers will tell you solid obdience is the foundation for a good pull dog.

Remember, dogs are not stupid. They know the difference between the commands "heel" & "pull", just like they know the difference from the commands "sit" & "down." If you think the command "pull" sounds too much like "heel," teach him to pull on the command "work." A lot of pullers use that word.

Plus, you have to figure the dog knows the difference between being walked on a collar alone & being walked with a harness on. My guys know harness off is chill time but harness on it's time to work.

To cut to the chase - my best pull dog walks on a loose leash & he knows darn well he better not pull on it!

Hope this helps.

Blessings ...

Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Dkavtbek

Oh, thank you for your input, that makes me feel alot better. Especially comming from people that have expirience in the matter. By the way, the trainer said that it might of been harder to get him to understand not to pull when we were on a loose leach situation. But again, thanks to you guys i feel much better about this.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
sadgpokx

I see you are in the northeast. Check out the show section of this forum. There are quite a few events up your way.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Dkavtbek

Is there? really? iwas actually wondering about that. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
hujdrftgkas

like ABK said, your dog can learn the difference between heel and pull, or alot of people use the command work i have one that knows the difference (was going to WP him but plans went south)

Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
krek-sikUp

As others have said, there is no conflict, with a properly trained dog.
I have dogs that are titled in conformation, obedience, rally, agility, weight pull, and flyball. They never have a problem competitng in different venues. They also know that they have to heel with me down the track, to get hooked up to do weight pull.
I also laugh when people say that their dog won't sit because they show in conformation.
I also have to add, that I start my pups' foundation training for weight pull at 4 months of age. I believe that you get a better, more confident pulling dog by setting an early foundation. But that is another topic of debate.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
TamreuddyRada

I also laugh when people say that their dog won't sit because they show in conformation.
First, I have to lol at that statement I had a very DA/human submissive male who would get fired up in the ring and if I tried the least bit to calm him down he would sit and not get up because he thought I was mad at him

To the op, everyone is right on, the start to a good wp dog is obedience. It doesn't take the dog very long to learn the difference between a leash and a harness. The only problem I have with heel is on the way to load up in the van for a show, they get way to excited about pulling.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
Anakattawl

Talk about good timing. This will likely be a fairly small pull, come watch, hang out and talk. It'll be a great weekend to get out into the country.

CONNECTICUT

NEW ENGLAND PULLERS ASSOCIATION
EAST HADDAM (I) WPULL
Aug 21; Leslie Haller WPULL Rails-B Entries & Weigh in 8:30-9 am Pull 9:30 am
Aug 22; Leslie Haller WPULL Rails-B Entries & Weigh in 8:30-9 am Pull 9:30 am
DOS $25 cash only, $20 cash only 2 or more dogs/same owner; PE $18, $15 2 or more dogs/same owner received by August 14, 2010
Hamilton Homestead, 65 A P Gates Rd, 06423; From Route 9 N/S Exit 7 onto Route 82. Follow Route 82 over CT River. Stay right on Route 82 to Mt. Parnassus Rd. Take Left onto Mt. Parnassus. Take right on Warner Rd, and then take right on to A P Gates Rd. to #65. www.newenglandpullersassociation.org
Chairperson: Belynda Crick (781) 961-2858 bjcrick@yahoo.com
Event Secretary: Douglas Hamilton, 65 A.P. Gates Rd, East Haddam CT 06423 (860) 388-7166 bluemoonkennel@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Dkavtbek

Leslie H thank you so much for that info. I think i will go to this event, Kratos will like it and so will my son.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Dkavtbek

Went to the WP event in E.Haddam Ct. It was a great experience, my 7 year old son loved it. Hegot to take pivctures with many different types of dogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread