LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
PhotoSHOPadob

Default white apbt question
I was told that alot of white pitbulls are deaf is this true or just a myth?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
duceswild

Its a general across the board for most breeds. They have a higher rate of being deaf but they aren't all deaf.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
MpNelQTU

White w/blue eyes is a always a sign of possible deafness. I have a friend that has a blue eyed white bully and she's deaf.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Celeliamend

The white dogs and deafness is not a myth and it's not only for "Pit Bulls" ... all breeds are affected and really it's just a hire chance of the disability. Fortunately, both of my all white American Bulldogs are fine although I know one of their brothers was deaf.

If you want to learn more about deaf dogs you should check out the DEAF DOG Education Action Fund (DDEAF) by Clicking Here very informational!

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

White w/blue eyes is a always a sign of possible deafness. I have a friend that has a blue eyed white bully and she's deaf.
Not "always" My Dixie can hear fine

Old 08-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
krek-sikUp

Unilateral and bilateral deafness is also common in Dogo Argentinos, and JRT (with no color on their heads).
My parents also have a pure white cat with blues eyes that is bilaterally deaf.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Gazeboss

Lily's all white, and can hear very well.
Although, she does have good pigmentation on her skin around her ears and eyes, which is usually an indicator that the dog will not have deafness/blindness.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
PhotoSHOPadob

Thanks for the information. My female had pups 3 weeks ago and 2 are white, well not totally white 1 is white with a few brown spots and the other is white and grey with just about equal amounts of both colors. My wifes cousin wants the one with brown spots and i wanted to let him know to keep an eye on him because there was a possibility it could be deaf. I'm not sure what color their eyes will be they're all bluish grey now and i'm not sure how long it takes for them to change color.I guess that would be a god question to ask in another post. thanks again

Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
violalmina

I would have the puppies tested out by the vets to see if they are deaf.. they can run thorough tests before your wife's cousin gets one and then your cousin could know for a fact is she is deaf or not. I would have the other one tested too just to be safe.

You don't want to give a deaf dog to someone who is inexperienced. If it turns out the puppy is deaf; your wife's cousin needs to find a trainer that is experienced with deaf dogs so they will know how to keep the dog safe and how to do certain commands.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
krek-sikUp

My APBT bitch is more than 90% white, but has brown eyes. She has no hearing issues, just a listening problem.
Her breeder told me that Amira's parents have always thrown 2-3 mostly white pups, per litter. None of them have every been deaf.
This is my bitch.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
PhotoSHOPadob

I planned on taking all the pups to the vet to get their shots before they went to there new homes, but I never thought of having them tested for deafness thanks for the advice.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
mussmicky

Both of my boys are white, Powder is partially deaf and Achilles isn't deaf at all. I adopted Powder knowing that he could be completely deaf. After visiting with him at the shelter I wasn't convinced he was completely deaf. So I had him BAER tested and it turns out I was right. It just so happens he can hear in his right ear which has the biggest brown spots on it besides his nose. He doesn't have completely blue eyes but they do change color. Between sky blue and a light brown. Through out the day they are more blue than brown and vice versa.

Achilles on the other hand is just as white as Powder. Has a little more pigmentation on his head but isn't deaf at all.

Animals don't have to be 90 % white with blue eyes to be deaf. Or even predominately white, its just more common in animals that are.

Reply to Thread New Thread