LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
DoctorGordanBens

Default Justified or Ridiculous?
I work a PRN position, so I only work a couple of days here and there, typically 2 shifts per every 2 weeks. When I do work, its 12 hour shifts, usually nights..

Anytime I DO work, I feel SOOO guilty for having to leave the dogs at home, by themselves, crated for all those hours. They are used to me being with them most of the time. And of course they dont get their usual play and work time on those days either. Is my guilt justified or am I just being completely ridiculous???

Old 08-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
mikelangr

I believe both in the perfect world your dogs would go to work with you and never need to be left alone but you are dealing with reality and You can only do so much I think 12 hours in the cage is a long time but at the same time it is what has to be done due to your work and many people are in similar situations and the dogs are fine. I believe the dogs can adopt to it. if you had someone you could completely trust to come by and let them out that would be great but I would rather see them Kenneled for 12 hours then something bad happen because you allowed someone that is irresponsible take them out.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
pooncophy

I work a PRN position, so I only work a couple of days here and there, typically 2 shifts per every 2 weeks. When I do work, its 12 hour shifts, usually nights..

Anytime I DO work, I feel SOOO guilty for having to leave the dogs at home, by themselves, crated for all those hours. They are used to me being with them most of the time. And of course they dont get their usual play and work time on those days either. Is my guilt justified or am I just being completely ridiculous???
Don't feel guilty. Let just dogs be dogs then do your part as an owner/friend.. everything else will be just fine.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
M1iFiNmC

12 hours is a long time to be caged up but at the end of the day dogs have to fit in with your schedule, not the other way around.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
DoctorGordanBens

if you had someone you could completely trust to come by and let them out that would be great but I would rather see them Kenneled for 12 hours then something bad happen because you allowed someone that is irresponsible take them out.
My boyfriend is at home sometimes when I'm at work, so its not 12 hours everytime I work and that makes me feel better. I think I just love my dogs more than I love people. And I really enjoy working with them.

Wouldnt it be great if your dog could go to work with you? I work at an assisted living facility and we have therapy dogs come visit. Once Roxy is old enough I'm gonna do the CGC so we can do the therapy dog program. We'll have to do it solo though because the therapy group here doesnt allow bully breeds..

Old 08-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
mikelangr

I agree being able to have them at work with you everyday would be great.
I think doing the therapy dog program would be great and I am sure you can find plenty of places that will allow you to come in with time.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Essefsbyday

It's a tough situation, but cannot be avoided. Anyway you could hire a teenager to come in and walk them or play with them for a little bit on the days your off? It would be a good way for them to pick up some cash, and would give the peace of mind of not having to leave them alone for so long.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
smokeberly

the fact its only 2 out of every 14 days i dont think is a problem.....if it was 3 or 4 times per week id say no way......

Reply to Thread New Thread