LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
pageup85

Just for the purposes of getting an SBT, the ears should not be croped on this breed. To do so would result in a DQ from a show ring.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Grapappytek

A lot of hoarders don't go to the shelter to get dogs. They pick up stray dogs or dogs off of the internet (Craigslist) because the shelters do have stipulations and fees. So therefore there isn't anyone who knows the dogs are there to do house calls.
Now I tend to disagree with this since when we've called other shelters to do what some refer to as 'background checks' we've actually had people come up who were involved in ongoing cases with hoarding as the issue. In fact, we are actually helping out a cat hoarder who then tried to come in and adopt a cat from us. A lot of them don't realize what they are doing is bad for the animals, so they figure a shelter will give them another, especially animal control facilities.

Most shelters have a stipulation that if for any reason a person can't keep a dog they adopted that they are to bring that dog back to the shelter. Many shelters even have trial periods where people can take the dog home for a week or so to make sure that the dog works out. House calls aren't necessary in my opinion.
Again, people have lied on applications in the past and when foster parents have brought their dogs over for the 'trial visit' they see a litterbox in the corner of the living room when the applicant said their were no other animals in the house. Not to mention just a few months ago someone said they had no other pets at AC and adopted a dog. A few weeks later they were evicted and 3 dogs were seized from the property including the one they adopted. What if they had brought that dog home and it killed their other animals?

Until you are involved in the application process day-in and day-out you won't understand the crap people come up with to get around the system. Just the other week a guy called me asking if he could adopt another cat. I said sure, we would just need to make sure he brought the last one to a vet and that it's up to date on shots. 2 hours later he shows up wanting to adopt a cat and lies and says he doesn't own any pets (because he never took the last cat to a vet). If he hadn't adopted the cat from a shelter, then we would have no record of him owning a cat. The only way to figure that out would have been to do a home visit. When people submit applications, we've started entering the animals that they own/previously own because they will go to one of our other locations an hour later and lie to get around a vet check. This happens ALL OF THE TIME!

As far as breeders go there are many people who have a dog shipped to them so how does a breeder check up on a dog? Surely the breeder isn't going to fly or drive to where all of their pups are located.

Many reputable breeders send their pups to homes where they will be worked/shown through people they've met at events and pet quality dogs to homes that have proven themselves capable of handling a dog of that breed. Many won't give a dog to someone they don't know. Many people on this very forum do it this way. My dog's breeder is 20 mins. from our house and we go back and forth through email with updated pics, etc. They asked to do a home visit, and we had no problem with it.

If a breeder is sending you a pup, and they've never even met you or talked to you, then that is a piss poor breeder IMO. Those are puppymills/BYBs and that's where the shelter dogs end up coming from. Again, these are the people who's motives I would question (are they just breeding any 2 dogs together to make a profit?). Some of them will pretend to care by having you sign a contract, but they never intend to enforce it - they are putting on a front. And not everyone abides by the contracts they sign.
As for the original topic, I see nothing wrong with cropping/docking for a medical reason. I kind of feel like cropping a show dog because it has poor ears is kind of like cheating, but that's just my oppinion.

As for age ranges of cropping, most places I know of won't do a dog over 6 months if there isn't a medical reason for it because adult dogs have a harder time with recovery. Maybe this is why shelters have the no-cropping policy?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
fudelholf

its true that people lie on the applications.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Daruhuw

Default Ear cropping and rescue? Any one ever heard of this theory?
So I was talking to my contact down at one of the rescues I volunteer at this past weekend when I was down there working. The rescue I plan to go through for my SBT puppy. They are aware that I'm not getting one until we are in our house, infact they said they will not adopt to us until my daughter is 3. And that is actually an exception because they typically do not like to adopt out to families with kids under 5. But I work with them and they know us and they know what kind of owners we are. So that is very generous. And then ofcourse there is the matter of waiting for the right dog to come along. So I told her what I was wanting which is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier mix puppy. And she said that wouldn't be a problem when it gets closer to time she will put me on a list for that specific breed/mix and I will be informed when one comes in. But this is what she asked "You aren't planning on cropping the dogs ears are you?" I said "Not particularly because I like the natural terrier ears, they melt my heart, but Why?" Apparently they have a new policy that they won't adopt out a dog to someone who plans to crop the dogs ears. That includes Dobermans and other commonly cropped breeds. I didn't go into asking the specifics which I should have but they mentioned that a dog with cropped ears would be more of a target for fights or for getting stolen for fights. So they feel its a way to protect the dogs. But are more and more rescues doing this? Or just this one? I had never heard that logic before. Is that totally off the wall or does it make sense? I never thought cropped ears = dog fighting.

Thanks

Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
brraverishhh

If someone wants to steal a dog they will attempt with no regard whether its ears are cropped or not, JMHO.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Daruhuw

If someone wants to steal a dog they will attempt with no regard whether its ears are cropped or not, JMHO.
You see that is what I thought. Again even though I'm not a fan of cropped ears. The first thing that comes to my mind is Not cropped ears = fighting. But its their rescue they can do what they want. I just kind of thought the logic was off the wall

Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
LongaDonga

People have weird logic sometimes. I do know this though - if you want to deter your dog from being stolen, dock it's tail. All the retards down here will not steal a pit bull with a docked tail b/c they say it affects the dog's balance so it can't fight. Dumb, I know but a lot of people believe like it's the gospel.

Blessings ...

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Nzmoafzn

Remember, you are doing the rescue a favor not the other way around. You could just go to a breeder and get the SBT of your dreams that you could crop if you so chose.

But, yeah, the "logic" is faulty and all too common. If a fighter wants to steal a dog, they will just crop the ears later on their own at home.

Rescues here won't allow docking or cropping or debarking on dogs and declawing on cats. Personally, I would rather a dog have a home than worry about legal cosmetic surgery and I would rather a dog or cat stay in that home because the barking or clawing issues were dealt with as a last resort by a vet surgery than have it be homeless because the owner was forced to surrender it due to neighbor complaints or it clawing up everything no matter what you try.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Bridgester

The only reason I could think that is true is maybe because cropped ears are preferred for fighting dogs because it is one less thing for the other dog to grab on to? That is what they may be thinking.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
WGfg4CCZ

It never ceases to amaze me how much rules Rescues have come up with to not get a dog a home. lol.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
Daruhuw

It never ceases to amaze me how much rules Rescues have come up with to not get a dog a home. lol.
I know someone who adopted an 8 week french bulldog puppy and they were in spay agreement. The vet advised against spaying the dog and even did the pre blood work and felt it wasn't a good idea. They told the rescue and the rescue said if the dog was not spayed by the date on the agreement they would be taking the dog back. They did the surgery and the dog died under anestesia. I think a situation where the vet felt the surgery was a bad idea, should be an exception.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
WGfg4CCZ

I looked into adopting a French Bulldog. All the Rescues I found are asking an insane price, they want $400-600 for a Rescue dog, that is neutered/spayed, and in some cases, has health problems. lol. No thanks. I'll just do without. lol.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Grapappytek

Why would you crop a dog's ears if it's not for show (which rescues can't do) or medical reasons (in which case I'm sure an exception would be made)?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Daruhuw

Why would you crop a dog's ears if it's not for show (which rescues can't do) or medical reasons (in which case I'm sure an exception would be made)?
I personally didn't know there was a reason to crop other than people thought it looked cool. As far as I know you can show with natural ears, I can't picture a Pit Bull without natural ears, I guess I just haven't seen too many cropped. Dobies yes, lots and lots of Dobies. Then again I'm still very new to the breed

Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
Grapappytek

My aunt's last dog, an ACD, had his cropped for a reoccuring hematoma and I'm sure there would be other resasons such as a dog fight or something.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #16
Daruhuw

My aunt's last dog, an ACD, had his cropped for a reoccuring hematoma.
Well I know some people do it for medical reasons.

I think I just don't get all the stipulations rescues have. You don't share ownership of that dog with the rescue. Once you bring the dog home its your dog, you know.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #17
Grapappytek

There are rescues that treat the dog just as a breeder would/might and they share ownership of the dog. For example, if you can't keep the dog, it comes back to them and you can't rehome it.

I know breeders also have stipulations. For example, some won't allow you to breed the dog unless certain requirements are met. Some won't let you neuter the dog. You can't rehome the dog without offering it back to them first. I believe Otis has something regarding this in his contract and he's from a breeder.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
Daruhuw

There are rescues that treat the dog just as a breeder would/might and they share ownership of the dog. For example, if you can't keep the dog, it comes back to them and you can't rehome it.

I know breeders also have stipulations. For example, some won't allow you to breed the dog unless certain requirements are met. Some won't let you neuter the dog. You can't rehome the dog without offering it back to them first. I believe Otis has something regarding this in his contract and he's from a breeder.
One of my dogs that passed had a stipulation in her contract that if we can't keep her she has to go back to the rescue. Sasha also has that stipulation I don't like that because if something happens to us, god forbid. I don't want her going back to the rescue. I want her staying with our other dog and our child. I've actually got measures in place that if something happened to my husband and I, both dogs will stay with my daughter. So the person who would get my daughter gets her dogs as well. I'd never rehome my dog though just to rehome her. Another stipulation my dog that died had (Sasha doesn't have this one) is if we were to have the dog put down, instead of putting her down she would have to go to the rescue first? I don't think so if my dog bites someone she going to be put down that day, and if my dog is sick and suffering and needs to be put down, I'm not going through the rescue for permission.

They didn't even do a home check like they said they were going to. And they said they would check up on the dog every six months and they never did once in 15 years. So whatever, as far as I am concerned they had no say regarding her.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #19
Grapappytek

Assuming the rescue is reasonable, they would probably allow your daghter to take the dog. Most of the clauses are a *just in case* type of thing.

For example our contract states that the dog will remain the property of us and we have the right to come insepect the property (residence) at any time. This is reserved for complaints of abuse or neglect. We haven't ever had to use it, but it's a good thing to have.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #20
DiatryDal

Thousand of dogs need homes..no need to go to a rescue if you dont like their policies. I see no reason why a dogs ears need cropped if it's not a breed specific requirement for conformation. Reputable, responsible rescues put lots of time, effort and funds in to the animals they rescue. They can create as many stipulations as they want. It's your choice whether or not to adopt from one and abide by their rules.
$400 - $600 for a purebred french bulldog that is UTD, chipped and altered is a steal.....

As for the reason the OP's particular rescue asks that the ears not be cropped, is a tad ridiculous but perhaps they are playing in to the whole "Save the poor APBT" mindset and are using some of the myths that go along with the breed?
Kinda like people do about their arguments about declawed cats....?

Reply to Thread New Thread