LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
scewLacysmazy

Default Is it better to have a male/male home or a male/female?
So my GF has been bugging me about getting another Puppy after Titan is a bit older, (currently 7 months on the 2nd). Do male/male typically get along better or male/female? I'm trying to do as much research to make it work so if i do get another i don't have to crate/rotate. What steps MUST i take in picking a new puppy to help this?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
ådrrraj

I would go with the opposite sex. I would also wait for your dog to be fully mature before doing so. You want to make sure the personalities match.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Michael-jeckson2

It depends on the individual dog temperament. Some members here have mixed results with opposite sex dog household, you cannot predict the behavior.
If you know your dog might tolerate opposite sex dogs better, it does not mean that another dog will tolerate yours.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
nizcreare

I would go with the opposite sex. I would also wait for your dog to be fully mature before doing so. You want to make sure the personalities match.
I agree with this also if you are not set on a registered papered dog might be able to find a nice dog at the shelter that is not a puppy but still young 1 or 2 old and see temperament and this will make the choice easier

Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Baromaro

Totally 100% agree with this

Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
scewLacysmazy

I plan to wait atleast 10months more months. At what age is a pitbull considered fully mature?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Baromaro

I plan to wait atleast 10months more months. At what age is a pitbull considered fully mature?
2 years. By two years of age a dog is considered to be at full maturity, this is also the point you will see his true temperment/disposition. You may also see a personality shift. I had a real dominance struggle out of my dogs when the youngest reached maturity, infact I'd say of the dogs she is probably the most dominant.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
scewLacysmazy

I agree with this also if you are not set on a registered papered dog might be able to find a nice dog at the shelter that is not a puppy but still young 1 or 2 old and see temperament and this will make the choice easier
We've kicked around this idea a bit too. Titan is registered and i was dead set on that, why i have no idea as i have no plans to breed him. I think currently this sounds like the best idea, the GF however loved the puppy stage. Perhaps telling her how we'd be saving a dog and that's 1000x better will change her mind.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
immelawealecy

In general, opposite sex matches are a better idea. However, you will still have to keep them separated when you aren't around to supervise, and crating/rotating is always a possibility (no matter what combo).

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
AbraroLib

I think you have to use some common sense as well. Odin has never had a scuffle with a male dog, but he's had a few little scuffles with females (nothing that a loud STOP) didn't break up. For some reason, he seems to be better with male dogs- in fact, I've had male foster for several months and they get along great. I always supervise them of course, but I've never had to break them up at all. I think he also does better with bigger dogs. Once your dog matures, it's important to see how they interact with other dogs and see what kinds of patterns you see. I know they say opposite sex matches are better, but there are always exceptions to any generalization.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Duaceanceksm

Different dogs will mix... or not mix... well with other dogs. I have 2 females, usually discouraged, but they get along great. However, Mollie and Titus (Lab/Husky) hate each. While I'm not sure if it's because he's a different breed or if it's just they just don't click, I have to keep them separated at all times. Mollie and Bella get along great, but like suggested, I never leave them alone unattended, and Bella is always crated when I leave home. Regardless of what you get, if you get one, make sure to never leave your dogs alone unattended. It's just a safe practice to always separate them when you can't supervise.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
nizcreare

We've kicked around this idea a bit too. Titan is registered and i was dead set on that, why i have no idea as i have no plans to breed him. I think currently this sounds like the best idea, the GF however loved the puppy stage. Perhaps telling her how we'd be saving a dog and that's 1000x better will change her mind.
Maybe you can change her mind and I am sure if she looks at some of the dogs at the Shelter she will fall in Love also gives you the chance for your current dog to help make the decision Marlo was part of my decision making with Choosing Abby

Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
Duaceanceksm

Maybe you can change her mind and I am sure if she looks at some of the dogs at the Shelter she will fall in Love also gives you the chance for your current dog to help make the decision Marlo was part of my decision making with Choosing Abby
Very true... all you have to do is type in petfinder.com, and pit bulls and you'd be surprised at how many beautiful dogs and puppies show up.... well, ok, since you twisted my arm......

233 pages at 25 per page of young 'pit bulls', in my state alone.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?N=22&Ne=1&Nf=coords|GCGT+35.743361984861%2C-86.6983+0&Ns=coords%2835.743361984861%2C-86.6983%29||shelter_id||animal_type||pet_breed_1|| pet_breed_2&Ntk=animal_type|pet_breed|record_type| status&Ntt=Dog|pit+bull|pet|A&distance=0&lat=35.74 3361984861&location=TN&lon=-86.6983

Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
immelawealecy

MN, I think Lab/huskies are just racist against pit bulls. Cuddles wasn't a fan of the gang either. lol.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
nizcreare

HAHAHAHAHA thanks Mollies Nana I needed that

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
Duaceanceksm

I hadn't thought about that CHJ... I think they are both racist against each other. Mollie doesn't like Titus just as much as he doesn't like her.

Oh, stats.... because I like to torture myself.

This is the break down on petfinder of just this breed in general....

13,680 American Pit Bulls
4,230 Am. Staffs
1,115 Staffys
530 Bull Terriers

Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
mrPronmaker

male/female

Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
interbaoui

Just to counter what has been mentioned, or rather as an addendum to it, dogs don't all magically mature at 2 yrs. Some don't fully mature mentally until 3 or 4 yrs old. At this time they can go from a goofy dog willing to play with everyone to a threatening menace not willing to tolerate ANY other dog. Be prepared to keep them separated if you have more than one dog. Some get away without separating their dogs, some lose a dog because they don't separate. What is it with women and puppies??? tell her you can't keep buying another puppy every time the old one grows up!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #19
scewLacysmazy

Just to counter what has been mentioned, or rather as an addendum to it, dogs don't all magically mature at 2 yrs. Some don't fully mature mentally until 3 or 4 yrs old. At this time they can go from a goofy dog willing to play with everyone to a threatening menace not willing to tolerate ANY other dog. Be prepared to keep them separated if you have more than one dog. Some get away without separating their dogs, some lose a dog because they don't separate. What is it with women and puppies??? tell her you can't keep buying another puppy every time the old one grows up!
I figure a puppy is prolly cheaper in the long run then the " i want a baby" LOL

Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #20
avaiftBoara

You profoundly increase chances of success with male/female.

Course I have 2 males, and they're both easy going, but no unsupervised interaction, and they are kept separate when not supervised.

Reply to Thread New Thread