LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Franchise

Default Anyone use Linux?
I do the same thing every 3 months or so. Download a distro, install it, fight for three days with it, and delete the partition. Something keeps telling me I can eventually learn to use the damned thing, but it frustrates the hell out of me.

I guess I have two questions.

Besides not being able to use Windws apps, what are the disadvantages to Linux? I use a notebook, so it's limitations are a problem. One, I need to connect to various wi-fi connections on the fly, which Linux doesn't seem to like. Also, I use a wireless printer, which seems difficult to use as well. Most of all, I have never been able to return from standby or hibernate, and I need them more than anything.

My other question is, where is the best learners guide to Linux? Everything I find is either way too simple or way too complicated.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Viyzarei

i havent used linux on this computer yet, but in school i had it up for a while.
wifi is getting better and better so i dont see why you sould have a probelm if you do some research.

also, the hibernate and stuff depends. diff mobo's do it differently, and laptops sometimes have different power management stuff than desktops do so it may not always be fully supported. if you check out some linux forums though im sure you can find answers to all these things

edit: oh and btw, aside from games, there arent many windows apps you cant find an equivalent for for linux.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
aquadayAquaks

Yeah, I just can't find any forums where anyone knows my particular notebook. If you are smart enough to use Linux, you're probably smart enough to avoid the Geo Metro of notebooks.

Interesting side note, I also drive a Geo Metro.

I have a lot of specific programs I will miss, like Irfanview. I've never found another app that will simply open an image, video, or text file, full screen it, and allow me to flip back and forth through the directory.

I have 84 applications (not including games) that will take me an eternity to find duplicates for, but I'm willing to sacrefice to get a more stable system.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 AM   #4
rushiddink

Try Linspire. It is Linux for New users. It is easy to load with all frontend features ie: All Gui interface when setting this up. It's very secure. No need to worry about spyware and viruses. there are about three viruses known that hackers can use to invade your Unix OS.
It costs about 58 dollars retail or you can go to some share ware sites and download it. Good luck!

http://www.linspire.com/

Old 03-28-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
AffipgyncDync

Besides not being able to use Windws apps, what are the disadvantages to Linux? I use a notebook, so it's limitations are a problem. One, I need to connect to various wi-fi connections on the fly, which Linux doesn't seem to like. Also, I use a wireless printer, which seems difficult to use as well. Most of all, I have never been able to return from standby or hibernate, and I need them more than anything.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
About not being able to use windows apps on Linux. That is not true. If you get a program called Wine it will allow you to run most any windows based program you want. What it does is allow the Windows executables to run in a unix ksh.

But with all fo the free ware and word processing stuff out there for Linux i bet you will switch over fast when you see whats avaiable.
Good Luck

Reply to Thread New Thread