LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
klnbgqr

Default Nadal and Federer fans
Especially those of you who are American (I have no problem because no Mexican is going to be playing in Beijing).

Who will you be rooting for in the Olympics? In the ATP tour the players play for themselves because there's the DC to represent their country, so it's ok to root for a certain player when he plays against a countryman of yours. On the other hand. if it's the Davis Cup and it's the US vs Spain, I don't care how much you love Rafael Nadal, you have to root for Roddick it the two meet.

What about the Olympics? What if Federer or Nadal face Blake or other american? Who will you be rooting for?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
gluckmeea

I don't think Roddick is playing.

Heck, I rooted for Mardy Fish last Olympics, yet I rooted for Gasquet to beat him at Wimbledon.

So, I think you are right. We do get patriotic when it's the Olympics.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
autolubitelone

The Olympics is the one event where I have to be happy for whoever wins it. Even if Murray and Olivia Sanchez walk away with gold.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Falik

The only way I would not root for an American at the Olympics was if I knew that person to be an a______.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Buildityrit

The Olympics is the one event where I have to be happy for whoever wins it. Even if Murray and Olivia Sanchez walk away with gold.
What about Mathilde Johannson?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Veveseinlep

I wouldn't necessarily cheer for the American.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
autolubitelone

What about Mathilde Johannson?
That's probably most likely. Beating Zuz twice in one year is a lot tougher to do than winning Olympic gold.

LOL tell that to your avatar

Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
Freefspruptpx

I might be able to root for Blake. In a pinch. Same with Fish, I guess. Is Querrey our third? I don't know. I could probably get behind him if he didn't always have that dopey look on his face as if someone just asked him to solve an algebra equation. The Bryans? Nah, forget it. Just can't do it. Please, no one chest bump me.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Sakkola

I think I always end up rooting for my favorite players, rather than my countrymen. That said, I'd like to see the Williams sisters win some Olympic hardware this summer. And though I'm a Rafa fan, I'm definitely pulling for Fed in the Olympics. He'll be fairly old when the next Olympics come around, so this is probably his last good shot at it.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
Feflyinvelf

Is Querrey our third? I don't know. I could probably get behind him if he didn't always have that dopey look on his face as if someone just asked him to solve an algebra equation.

I will definitely be rooting for Blake, but it won't bother me a bit if Roger wins the gold.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
VYholden

No ranking points at the olympics, right? Then I want Nadal to win after several grueling matches, so he's wiped out before the US Open. I want Federer to lose early so he can focus on NYC. No offense to Rafa, but if he wins the Open it will be the last straw. I'm still holding out hope that Roger can keep the #1 ranking this year.

I don't really care who wins, to tell you the truth. In a way, it's nice to see a non-Slam contender get some moment in the sun.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Roorseprate

No ranking points at the olympics, right? Then I want Nadal to win after several grueling matches, so he's wiped out before the US Open. I want Federer to lose early so he can focus on NYC. No offense to Rafa, but if he wins the Open it will be the last straw. I'm still holding out hope that Roger can keep the #1 ranking this year.

I don't really care who wins, to tell you the truth. In a way, it's nice to see a non-Slam contender get some moment in the sun.
There are masters series type ranking points for the Olympics.

BTW playing singles for the US: Blake, Querrey and Ginepri.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
gluckmeea

BTW playing singles for the US: Blake, Querrey and Ginepri.
I can get behind two of them anyway.

I kinda have the same problem as Dry with Querrey. Lol!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
TeNuaTe

What about the Olympics? What if Federer or Nadal face Blake or other american? Who will you be rooting for?
I never, ever cheer for Americans just because they're American. They have to fight for my loyalty like everyone else. (And right now, I like Nadal and Federer more than I like any of the American men, so if one of them comes up against Blake, vamos Espana/allez Suisse)

Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
Figelac

I bleed red, white and blue for the Olympics. However if a certain Catalunyan were to win it all I'd be okay with that.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
fruttomma

I will cheer for my country's representative in the ladies singles draw. Keeping in mind it's Michaella Krajicek, I don't expect to have to do much of it.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Freefspruptpx

Oh, I can root for Robby! And if things don't go well for him in Beijing, there's always the Special Olympics!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Rffkwfct

I think I'll be patriotic for the doubles. As for singles, I never root against Federer, but it would be fun to have a surprise winner

Old 10-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #19
VYholden

Really? That doesn't seem fair to highly ranked players from countries with a lot of good players. I'm sure that discussion had already run its course.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
JonDopl

I never, ever cheer for Americans just because they're American. They have to fight for my loyalty like everyone else. (And right now, I like Nadal and Federer more than I like any of the American men, so if one of them comes up against Blake, vamos Espana/allez Suisse)
LOL, I'm different I usually cheer for the 1.5 person(s) who represents my tiny country even if they don't stand a chance. On the other hand I root against the US in any World Competition unless I have a fave participating. I'll probably root for Fed, Nadal, Venus, Serena and or Ana.

Foxy

Reply to Thread New Thread