LOGO
Terrorism Discuss the War on Terrorism

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
c2siOlIk

Default Families mark 1 year of US hikers' Iran detention
Why isnt the US govt doing anything about this, even up to massing troops on the Iran border? This is unnacceptable. Are we in such a sad state of power that we cant even get 3 innocent people out of a enemies jail?

NEW YORK — The families of three Americans jailed in Iran rallied in New York City on Friday to mark the anniversary of their detainment.

The family members were joined by about 75 supporters outside the Iranian mission to the United Nations. They held mock prison bars and pitched a tent with a sign that read: "Free the hikers. 365 days."

The mothers of the three said they had not heard from their children since May, when the Iranian government allowed them to visit their children.

"We want them out," said Nora Shourd, whose daughter, Sarah Shourd, is among the captives. She said her daughter was being held in solitary confinement. "What the hell has my daughter done to be in solitary confinement for one year?"

Saturday is the anniversary of when Sarah Shourd, Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal were arrested along the Iraqi border.

Iran accused them of espionage — a charge both they and the U.S. government have denied. Their families say the three were hiking in Iraq's largely peaceful, mountainous northern Kurdish region when they were seized by Iranian authorities who accused them of crossing the border illegally.

"It's a year. I really thought this would be resolved, maximum, in a few months," said Cindy Hickey, mother of Shane Bauer.

Other protests are planned around the country this weekend to bring attention to the imprisoned trio.

In a statement, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton called for the trio's release, saying their detention was unjustifiable.

"Iran has long espoused to the world its commitment to justice, security and peace for all," she said. "We call on Iran to do the right thing and allow these three Americans to return home to their families."

Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
interznakinfo

I am not trying to justify their dentention, but :

Since the kurdish/ iraqi border where they were caught on a "hike in the mountains" on iranian territory (allegedly) is not exactly the destination for an innocent family holiday I would be cautious to dismiss the iranian spying charges just because they come from the Iranians. There is still the possibility that these were just idiots who confused northern Iraq with a hike in the Rocky mountains but in this region of the world it is not unreasonable to have some doubts.
I still think that one year should be time enough to settle this issue in a way that allows all sides to save face though but as such these guys seem to bargaining chips that will be released for something in return as Iran has more than once done with western prisoners.
And finally a question out of curiosity : What do you think would be done with Iranians caught crossing into the US illegally, possibly equipped with cameras and stuff like that ?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
newshep

I am not trying to justify their dentention, but :

Since the kurdish/ iraqi border where they were caught on a "hike in the mountains" on iranian territory (allegedly) is not exactly the destination for an innocent family holiday I would be cautious to dismiss the iranian spying charges just because they come from the Iranians. There is still the possibility that these were just idiots who confused northern Iraq with a hike in the Rocky mountains but in this region of the world it is not unreasonable to have some doubts.
I still think that one year should be time enough to settle this issue in a way that allows all sides to save face though but as such these guys seem to bargaining chips that will be released for something in return as Iran has more than once done with western prisoners.
And finally a question out of curiosity : What do you think would be done with Iranians caught crossing into the US illegally, possibly equipped with cameras and stuff like that ?
We would arrest them, and send them home. Heck we just sent home 10 ACTUAL russian spies, tried and convicted within days. Iran is holding these hikers as hostages, nothing more. And its sad that the US is so weak that we let it happen. We used to have Presidents that had some balls, like Reagan or Teddy. Now we have community organizers.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
evarekataVame

The problem I think is that Iran believes these hikers to be more valuable than they really are.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Qwjyrgij

The problem I think is that Iran believes these hikers to be more valuable than they really are.
That may or may not be true.
If keeping them makes no sense from an iranian perspective however, they would drive them to the iraqi border and send them over with a kick in the ass.
But regardless if these guys were really innocent hikers or not the issue will be worked out in a backdoor deal as in previous cases. Possibly the Iranians want prisoners released and push up the price or it is other things they´re after that we will possibly never know. But the only thing that helps here is patience and possibly better travel recommendations next time........

Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Spalax

If keeping them makes no sense from an iranian perspective however, they would drive them to the iraqi border and send them over with a kick in the ass.
But regardless if these guys were really innocent hikers or not the issue will be worked out in a backdoor deal as in previous cases. Possibly the Iranians want prisoners released and push up the price or it is other things they´re after that we will possibly never know. But the only thing that helps here is patience and possibly better travel recommendations next time........
Right. The Iranians no doubt want something in return. Given the amount of time they have held on to these hikers I believe these hikers are simply not worth the price in America's eyes.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
seatlyled

I could care less,sorry, but there it is.....they were told, several times by several different folks/authorities, don't go up there- the border area territory there is in dispute and has been for decades, there were Iranian patrols up there and they don't take kindly to strangers.

these kids were completely stupid as in jackass stupid or trying to pull a Gore Girls get rich stunt......tough shit.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Peterli

Right. The Iranians no doubt want something in return. Given the amount of time they have held on to these hikers I believe these hikers are simply not worth the price in America's eyes.
That is why we might see this story hitting the news more often in the weeks or months ahead. Since by allowing details out and maybe even access to journalists Iran could try to bring Obama in a no-win situation. Where he has to choose between public pressure to bring the guys home at the price of giving in to Irans demand or also suffer a severe PR blow if keeps refusing to accept Teherans price.
Since I think we both agree that military action will not erupt over this.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
AngelinaLip

Where is Ross Perot when we need him?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Coellacag

In the meantime, these americans are being held by an enemy country, and our govt is doing little about it, far less than they are capable of. Patience doesnt help the three americans locked away in a Iranian prison. Our govt can afford to have patience, they cant. Obama can afford to go play 80 rounds of golf in the time these guys have been sitting in an Iranian prison. They dont get to play golf.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
MgpojuWy

In the meantime, these americans are being held by an enemy country, and our govt is doing little about it, far less than they are capable of. Patience doesnt help the three americans locked away in a Iranian prison. Our govt can afford to have patience, they cant. Obama can afford to go play 80 rounds of golf in the time these guys have been sitting in an Iranian prison. They dont get to play golf.
What I think you need to accept is that, in the grand scheme of things, these 3 hikers simply don't matter.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
geasurpacerma

I could care less,sorry, but there it is.....they were told, several times by several different folks/authorities, don't go up there- the border area territory there is in dispute and has been for decades, there were Iranian patrols up there and they don't take kindly to strangers.

these kids were completely stupid as in jackass stupid or trying to pull a Gore Girls get rich stunt......tough shit.
They have a right to be stupid. They choose to be Americans on the belief that when they are wrongly imprisoned by a foreign country their country will back them up as is its constituional duty to protect your life and liberty. I bet they wont make that mistake again. We obivously cant take the risk of traveling to foreign countries as we now know the US govt will not protect your life.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
Elissetecausa

What I think you need to accept is that, in the grand scheme of things, these 3 hikers simply don't matter.
They matter to me. I would expect them to do the same thing for me were I in their situation. I agreed to live in a community based on the idea that we protect each others lives.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
eFDMBwKH

They matter to me. I would expect them to do the same thing for me were I in their situation. I agreed to live in a community based on the idea that we protect each others lives.
You really need to stop being so naive. The community you think you live in doesn't exist and never has.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
22paseabelldaps

We would arrest them, and send them home. Heck we just sent home 10 ACTUAL russian spies, tried and convicted within days. Iran is holding these hikers as hostages, nothing more. And its sad that the US is so weak that we let it happen. We used to have Presidents that had some balls, like Reagan or Teddy. Now we have community organizers.
Two Americans were arrested and held in Iran, one of them for five years, under Reagan. They were similarly charged with spying.

Articles about Jon Pattis - Los Angeles Times

Guess those are those Reagan balls you're talking about.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
Daruhuw

You really need to stop being so naive. The community you think you live in doesn't exist and never has.
Then theres no point to the US anymore and it needs to be dissolved.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
actifadepette

Then theres no point to the US anymore and it needs to be dissolved.
Oh, dear God.

You really think that this is worth going to WAR over?

Wait, you're not even an American any more, so what's it matter?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
Joesred

Two Americans were arrested and held in Iran, one of them for five years, under Reagan. They were similarly charged with spying.

Articles about Jon Pattis - Los Angeles Times

Guess those are those Reagan balls you're talking about.
PAttis was working in Iran for a private contractor doing satellite work. He confessed (possibly forced) to spying for the CIA. Show me some evidence these guys have any suspicion of doing any other than recreating and you might have a case.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
Lapsiks

PAttis was working in Iran for a private contractor doing satellite work. He confessed (possibly forced) to spying for the CIA. Show me some evidence these guys have any suspicion of doing any other than recreating and you might have a case.
So, all Iran has to do is force these hikers to confess and we're all squared away? I think it's pretty easy to tell that in that case and in this one, the arrests and detainment were politically motivated.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
Acalsenunse

Why isnt the US govt doing anything about this, even up to massing troops on the Iran border? This is unnacceptable. Are we in such a sad state of power that we cant even get 3 innocent people out of a enemies jail?
C'mon man.....that's only three votes, why bother?

Reply to Thread New Thread