LOGO
USA Politics
USA political debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
doctorzlo

Default Jimmy Carter's latest antics
I am one of Carter's fiercest critics, but, like Abraham Foxman, I welcome his apology and look forward to him proving the sincerity of his words.

Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter has apologized to the American Jewish community for 'stigmatizing Israel' and asked for forgiveness for his actions, the JTA reported on Monday.

"We must recognize Israel's achievements under difficult circumstances, even as we strive in a positive way to help Israel continue to improve its relations with its Arab populations, but we must not permit criticisms for improvement to stigmatize Israel," Carter wrote in a letter to the JTA.

"As I would have noted at Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but which is appropriate at any time of the year, I offer an Al Het for any words or deeds of mine that may have done so," Carter wrote, referring to the prayer said on Yom Kippur in which Jews ask God for forgiveness for any sins... source: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1136829.html

Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
HedgeYourBets

Jimmy Carter can burn in hell. And he can trade recipes with Arafat when he gets there.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
LottiFurmann

what the Saudi money ran out?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
9mm_fan

what the Saudi money ran out?
Right on!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Big A

Administrator
I am one of Carter's fiercest critics, but, like Abraham Foxman, I welcome his apology and look forward to him proving the sincerity of his words.
So now it's time for Jimmuh to take some actions that would back up his words.

Overall, I think that he's worried about his legacy and doesn't want to go down in history as an anti-Semite.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
TorryJens

Does anyone else find this very weird???

Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
LottiFurmann

My 2c: Off the Wahhabi payroll and into Soros' pocket. Now the Jews control Carter! You heard it hear folks.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
doctorzlo

Now it's beginning to make sense:

WASHINGTON (JTA) -- Jimmy Carter is asking the Jewish community for forgiveness -- and insists it’s not simply because his grandson has decided to launch a political career with a run for the Georgia state Senate.

Jason Carter, 34, an Atlanta-area lawyer, is considering a run to fill a seat covering suburban DeKalb County should the incumbent, David Adelman, win confirmation as President Obama's designated ambassador to Singapore.

The seat, which is university heavy -- Emory, among others, is situated there -- also has a substantial Jewish community. http://jta.org/news/article/2009/12/...h-to-apologize

Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
softy54534

Now it's beginning to make sense:
babam. nice find. I hope he gets screwed and then we'll see his Jew hate redoubled.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
Lillie_Steins

newman, that was pretty unwarranted. To compare a mildly counter cultural rabbinical student (from our perspective) with a man who's dedicated much of his career to demonifying the Jews and their state is false comparison. Aside, theology + politics are toxic.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
9mm_fan

With so many people in the administration piling on Israel, you just knew Carter (yemach shemo) would have to join in. More of his typical one-sided criticism:

"There's no doubt that in general the United States government has been much more attuned to the sensitivities of the Israelis and has yielded excessively to the circumstances in the Holy Land as Israel has confiscated several lands within Palestine," Carter said at the opening of a two-day conference on US-Arab relations.

He added: "I hope that in the future we'll see the United States taking a much more balanced position and doing everything possible to implement a two-state solution" that establishes an independent Palestinian state based on 1967 borders...

"I think with a strong and determined commitment to the two-state solution ... that peace is still on the table. But it's going to require a dramatic change in the policy of the present government of Israel," he said. source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...864916,00.html

I think it is hilarious that he thinks the Obama administration is too pro-Israel.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Paul Bunyan

Carter (yemach shemo) said the following in Silwan:

"...east Jerusalem should be a Palestinian capital only under Palestinian control.” source: http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=192372

Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
Lillie_Steins

Carter apparently doesn't understand that when countries like Brazil give Palestinians hope that they can get what they want without negotiations with Israel, that they are harming the chances for peace.

It is Palestinian refusal to negotiate in good faith nor make any concessions that is solely to blame for their current situation.

Former US president Jimmy Carter on Monday told Brazilian newspaper Folha de S. Paulo he is happy Brazil recognized Palestinian statehood, adding, "We cannot count on the United States alone to bring peace, since it agrees with almost everything Israel does," The Telegraph reported.... source: http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPol...aspx?id=200364

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Beerinkol

I detest Jimmy Carter (yemach shemo), but I think this lawsuit is b.s. If this suit is successful, I could see pro-Israel authors facing similar suits as a form of harassment.

While former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has a perfect right to his anti-Israel opinions – and certainly has the right to publish a book full of those opinions – he does not have the right to fob off a work of fiction as fact. That, says Israeli activist attorney Nitzana Darshan-Leitner, is what has earned him the opprobrium of dozens of people who bought his book, “Palestine: Peace or Apartheid.” And now, says Darshan-Leitner, she is representing those unhappy customers in a class-action lawsuit against Carter, in order to get them a refund.

Of course, Darshan-Leitner tells Israel National News, the issue is not simply one of consumer fraud. “During the trial, we will of course have to examine the facts in question, and we will of course unveil the falsity of much of what he writes. Carter makes numerous claims in the book that he knows to be false, and we know that he knows them to be false.”

According to the complaint, filed in a New York court, Carter, “as a former American president and self-proclaimed Middle East expert ... knew that substantial and material portions of the book were untrue, and has failed to advise the public,” putting him in violation of New York State's Consumer Protection Laws, “specifically New York General Business Law section 349, which makes it unlawful to engage in deceptive acts in the course of conducting business.” The lawsuit also includes Carter's publisher, Simon and Schuster, as a defendant, since it allegedly refused to correct the facts, despite receiving numerous complaints from irate customers....

Readers spent on average $27 for the book, so Darshan-Leitner is seeking about $5 million in compensatory damages in order to enable all customers to get their money back – plus, of course, punitive damages and court costs... source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/142124

Reply to Thread New Thread