USA political debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Raj_Copi_Jin

Default France comes to Oregon
Hmm curious.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/132482

From news article:
(IsraelNN.com) The American state of Oregon may ban Jewish teachers as well as Muslim and Sikh educators from wearing religious garb under the pretense of providing "religious freedom" for students. The Oregon Workplace Religious Freedom Act, which was just signed by Governor Ted Kulongoski, was intended to enable workers to don religious attire such as yarmulkes, turbans, and hijabs while on the job, as well as take time off for their holy days. However, the bill also states that "no teacher in any public school shall wear any religious dress while engaged in the performance of duties as a teacher. A school district, education service district or public charter school does not commit an unlawful employment practice … by reason of prohibiting a teacher from wearing religious dress while engaged in the performance of duties as a teacher."
Representative of the Oregon Department of Education, Jake Weigler, said that teachers could not be compared to other workers, as they impart values and instruction to children.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
softy54534

Good thing most Jews are not choosing to become teachers nowadays. How many Jews live in Oregon now anyway?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Peptobismol

Good thing most Jews are not choosing to become teachers nowadays. How many Jews live in Oregon now anyway?
There is an Orthodox Jewish community in Portland Oregon. I'm sure it is no Flatbush, but there are three Orthodox shuls there. I think there is a community in Eugene as well. While I don't have the source on me at the moment, I remember reading that Oregon was rated as being one of the ten States in the US where people are LEAST interested in religion.

Reply to Thread New Thread