USA political debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
boxcigsnick

Default Silverstone to Sign 17 Year GP Deal

December 8, 2009

Silverstone looking to earn rich rewards from big-race gamble

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6948059.ece

Great Britain’s latest Formula One champions, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, led a chorus of approval that reverberated around British motorsport yesterday after Silverstone confirmed that it has a deal in place to host the British Grand Prix for the next 17 years.

After months — if not years — of uncertainty about the future of the race and the role to be played by the classic track set on an old airfield in Northamptonshire, Richard Phillips, the circuit’s managing director, was finally able to look forward with confidence as he announced the deal struck with Bernie Ecclestone, the sport’s commercial rights-holder.

“We’ve always had five-year deals and never been able to get the investment we needed to redevelop, but 17 years gives us the ability to invest and move forward,” Phillips said. “We’ve always had the belief that the British Grand Prix was an important cornerstone of Formula One but, with Bernie, you’re never quite sure. Now we’ve got to sell a lot of tickets, and get out there and promote the event.”

Hamilton said he was delighted the race has retained a long-term home at Silverstone. “It’s great the race will be at Silverstone,” he said. “British fans are the greatest Formula One supporters and this must be the best Christmas present they could ever ask for. I can’t wait to come home to the British Grand Prix when both Jenson and I will be flying the flag for Britain and doing our best to win the race.”

Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
fujitsusi

Great News - and hopefully 17 years will allow the track to plan ahead in terms of investment and redevelopment.

It will be a good day for British motor sport if the 17 year deal goes through.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/

Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
lorrieholdridge

Seems like almost every year there have been threats of no UK GP. Glad I don't have to hear about it anymore.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
rhybrisee

Seems like almost every year there have been threats of no UK GP. Glad I don't have to hear about it anymore.
I am glad the wrangling may finally end, and I am also glad the British GP is secure as it brings in a lot of money, as well as being a prestigious event.

I am now very untrusting of people named Bernie, first you have Bernie Madoff, then Bernie Ecclestone and lets not forget that dead guy who was involved in fraud in 'Weekend at Bernie's'.

Never trust a Bernie.

Reply to Thread New Thread