LOGO
USA Society
USA social debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
sttrqiss

Default 'Occupy Wall Street' Protesters to Be Forced Out of New York Park During Cleaning
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/12...-york-park-by/

The protesters, who have camped out in a city park for more than three weeks, will be forced out Friday so that city crews can help clean the area.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg visited Zucotti Park in lower Manhattan on Wednesday evening and made the cleaning announcement, citing sanitation concerns from the park’s owner, MyFoxNY.com reports.

Brookfield Properties, the owner of the park, had outlined its concerns in a letter to the city’s police commissioner, Ray Kelly.

The company told police that it had received “hundreds of phone calls and emails” from locals complaining about "lewdness, groping, drinking and drug use, the lack of safe access to and usage of the Park, ongoing noise at all hours, unsanitary conditions and offensive odors,” NBC New York reports.

I'm all for freedom of assembly but...where exactly do these people work and/or go to school that they can take three weeks off to live in the park?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
PZXjoe

I'm all for freedom of assembly but...where exactly do these people work and/or go to school that they can take three weeks off to live in the park? They do work ... for you and I. I can only assume they are either milking the unemployment system for everything it's worth with the excuse that "there are no jobs". Or they are welfare recipients being given free food and Section 8 housing so they can afford all the luxuries like cell phones, widescreen TV's, and nice cars while people like us actually pay our bills and mortgages and not blame everyone else for lack of proper personal financial management. ... just a guess.

I also spent some time in the pacific NW in the Seattle area. There are plenty of protests there on a daily basis and you'd be surprised that a lot of the protesters are paid employees. There are ads in the paper for "protesters needed" paying $10/hr or more to hold a sign.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Arbinknit

They do work ... for you and I. I can only assume they are either milking the unemployment system for everything it's worth with the excuse that "there are no jobs". Or they are welfare recipients being given free food and Section 8 housing so they can afford all the luxuries like cell phones, widescreen TV's, and nice cars while people like us actually pay our bills and mortgages and not blame everyone else for lack of proper personal financial management. ... just a guess.

I also spent some time in the pacific NW in the Seattle area. There are plenty of protests there on a daily basis and you'd be surprised that a lot of the protesters are paid employees. There are ads in the paper for "protesters needed" paying $10/hr or more to hold a sign.
I'm curious as to what's funding this movement, hard to analyze to the gnat's ass detail but I think we can safely say that this whole thing can't be happening for free. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Uttephabeta

I'm curious as to what's funding this movement, hard to analyze to the gnat's ass detail but I think we can safely say that this whole thing can't be happening for free. Anyone else have any thoughts?
I agree. This is starting to sound more and more like another Tea Party.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
AssinHT

Kind of a 60's hippie version but yes both tend to be fairly disjointed.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Kokomoxddcvcv

Honestly - let's think about this:

-They're angry.
-Don't have any particular direction or goals
-Lots of publicity
-Oppose the bailout to the banks

This is EXACTLY how the Tea Party started out. Now the Tea Party is pro-bank, and whores itself to the Corporations. Useful idiots. The more I look at this Wall Street protest, the more I think this will turn out the same way.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Lvnufcdc

Honestly - let's think about this:

-They're angry.
-Don't have any particular direction or goals
-Lots of publicity
-Oppose the bailout to the banks

This is EXACTLY how the Tea Party started out. Now the Tea Party is pro-bank, and whores itself to the Corporations. Useful idiots. The more I look at this Wall Street protest, the more I think this will turn out the same way.
I'll admit I've been away from MSNBC a while, but if it's getting full backing there the way FNC celebrates the Tea Party I think we have ourselves a ringer!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
Larisochka

I'll admit I've been away from MSNBC a while, but if it's getting full backing there the way FNC celebrates the Tea Party I think we have ourselves a ringer!
The demographics of the beast are interesting - from what I'm seeing on the news, they're mostly white hippie types. A bit odd, I would've thought a movement like this would get more of a turnout from the Hispanic or Black populations. Guess not.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
bestcigsnick

Personally i say let them stay.. THEN force them to clean the damn park.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
StarsWorld

Then they'll say their rights were violated somehow. Not sure which ones but someone's rights are always being violated according to the news.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
nizcreare

But Joe, this is not about the ideology. This thread is about the city trying to clean up after protesters.

The Tea Party does/did not leave, nor live in, the fetid sewer that these "patriotic Americans" are creating.

Is this movement a part of Obams's job creation plan?

When a TB, cholera or AIDS outbreak occurs, will these "patriotic Americans" sue?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
Klissineopar

But Joe, this is not about the ideology. This thread is about the city trying to clean up after protesters.

The Tea Party does/did not leave, nor live in, the fetid sewer that these "patriotic Americans" are creating.
Any large demonstration is going to leave litter. "Fetid sewer" is a bit of an exaggeration - to be honest I'd suggest that you yourself don't seem to like their ideology too much.

Is this movement a part of Obams's job creation plan? Obama's stimulus seems to be their main objection.... not unlike the Tea Part in its early stages.

When a TB, cholera or AIDS outbreak occurs, will these "patriotic Americans" sue? AIDS isn't contagious in the normal sense , so you don't have "outbreaks".

Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
RealCHEAPsoftDOWNLOAD

Any large demonstration is going to leave litter. "Fetid sewer" is a bit of an exaggeration - to be honest I'd suggest that you yourself don't seem to like their ideology too much.

Obama's stimulus seems to be their main objection.... not unlike the Tea Part in its early stages.

AIDS isn't contagious in the normal sense , so you don't have "outbreaks".
It wasn't just Obama who had the stimulus. Technically Bush signed it - Obama just continued it and increased the amount but that gets both of their names on it.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
Opislossy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/12...est=latestnews

Well I'll be...they must have heard you lol.

Wall Street protesters scrubbed, mopped and picked up garbage at the corporate-owned park they have been occupying in an attempt to stave off a scheduled cleanup Friday that demonstrators suspect is a pretext to evict them.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
MannoFr

It wasn't just Obama who had the stimulus. Technically Bush signed it - Obama just continued it and increased the amount but that gets both of their names on it.
You are confusing TARP (bank bailout) with the Obama's stimulus program (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009)

Old 10-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Karensmith

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/12...est=latestnews

Well I'll be...they must have heard you lol.

Wall Street protesters scrubbed, mopped and picked up garbage at the corporate-owned park they have been occupying in an attempt to stave off a scheduled cleanup Friday that demonstrators suspect is a pretext to evict them.
The whole place probably reeks of patchouli oil now.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
85IbLcwQ

They do work ... for you and I. I can only assume they are either milking the unemployment system for everything it's worth with the excuse that "there are no jobs". Or they are welfare recipients being given free food and Section 8 housing so they can afford all the luxuries like cell phones, widescreen TV's, and nice cars while people like us actually pay our bills and mortgages and not blame everyone else for lack of proper personal financial management. ... just a guess.
I doubt that most people on public assistance really even care about the government enough to get involved in political activism. As long as they're getting those government benefits, why would they want to rock the boat?

Same thing goes for those who would abuse umemployment compensation.

That's why I believe that this is genuine. That there are no jobs isn't made up. Retention in the military is at an all time high, because those who otherwise would get out are reenlisting.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
letmelogin

I doubt that most people on public assistance really even care about the government enough to get involved in political activism. As long as they're getting those government benefits, why would they want to rock the boat?

Same thing goes for those who would abuse umemployment compensation.

That's why I believe that this is genuine. That there are no jobs isn't made up. Retention in the military is at an all time high, because those who otherwise would get out are reenlisting.
There are jobs - but the jobs that are available most Americans aren't willing to do. But it won't matter for the military about our retention since they're going to have to start kicking peopleo out as part of budget cuts.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
gardeniyas

The whole place probably reeks of patchouli oil now.

I saw a video yesterday of a bunch of topless female protesters and at first i was like "MMmmmmmm titties" but then i realized how dirty those chicks look and how bad they must smell. I just closed out the video and went about my business.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
CxofxJFm

There are jobs - but the jobs that are available most Americans aren't willing to do.
The only example of this that I can think of is if taking the job in question pays less than what they get on unemployment. I wouldn't expect anyone to do this, as unemployment is already less than what they were making on the job that they were laid off from in the first place.

When I separated from the military, it took me six months to find permanent work. I could have taken job that paid less than my unemployment well before that, but it doesn't make any sense. There are people with less qualifications and skills who need those jobs far more than I do.

But it won't matter for the military about our retention since they're going to have to start kicking peopleo out as part of budget cuts. That's not the point. The point is that people in the military see what the job market looks like on the outside, and they react to it by making whatever career decision that they make.

Reply to Thread New Thread