Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
Alina20100

Default Iraq living conditions highlight different ways Army, USAF operate
A tale of two services

http://www.stripes.com/news/iraq-liv...perate-1.12784

Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
xtrudood

Yea this was written in 2003. If I remember correctly joes had it just as good as the Airmen in KRAB (FOB WARRIOR) when I was there in 04. Using same chowhall, gyms, MWR facilities. I know because I was an Airman living on the Army side with 2-25ID, and still utilizing all the stuff on the AF side.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
no02rSx2

Don't know what they were looking at, but the Army had far more troops on that base. Furthermore, the Army side had better everything, gym, morale area. The Airforce still lived in tents while the Army was living in trailers. I thought the army had it much better there. Much better.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
freeprescriptionplanrrx

OK some I'm not the only one that noticed that in some places. Good, based on that article I was imagining crap.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
sicheAscems

I was at Warrior for five months in 08-09 and we lived in tents because they ran out of CHUs or something. The DFAC was pretty nice and I didn't even know there was an AF side there. But then we moved down south to Tallil - there was a definite split in amenities there. The AF had their own compound and talking to an AF guy where I am now who was there, he said that compound was gated off, had a code you had to type in to get in the gate...a little much.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
HilaryNidierer

Yea I've seen the AF pull that stunt at a few places. Lucky for me, I play both sides ( so to speak) dang it I used aircrew talk.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Mr_White

However, during most of the campaign both AF and Army had it pretty good. Heck at Marez the Army had it better than the regular AF for awhile.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
eliniaguilefp7m

Agreed. When I was at Kirkuk in '05, I drove over to the Army side to go to the gym. When I was at COB Adder/Tallill/Ali, I lived in CHUs on the Army side and preferred that more. I occasionally ventured over to the AF compound to work out in the early mornings or to the rec center to hang with some other AF people I knew. There was no code needed.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
enencephoth

Agreed. When I was at Kirkuk in '05, I drove over to the Army side to go to the gym. When I was at COB Adder/Tallill/Ali, I lived in CHUs on the Army side and preferred that more. I occasionally ventured over to the AF compound to work out in the early mornings or to the rec center to hang with some other AF people I knew. There was no code needed.
I guess in 08-09 there was a code to get through the gate to the AF compound at Tallil. I work with an AF guy who was there at the same time - we just didn't know each other then - and he said that he went there twice. Once he and another guy walked up as a group of AF were walking in and said "Hey could you hold the door for us?" and another time his friend reached around through the gate and somehow unlocked it lol. But every time I saw the AF they were always in PTs. Yeah - we were jealous lol.

Yeah we had CHUs at Adder/Tallil but I actually liked living in the tents at Warrior. We were right there near the PX area and the CSM, BC stayed over by our TOC. That was really nice lol. But they had it set up to where they split the tents into two sides and only put six people on each side so we'd have room because they knew we'd be there for awhile until the CHUs were done...but then we had to move down south. But the tents weren't that bad really. I worked night shift so after about 0700 no one was really around; it was pretty decent.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
pokerbonuscod

As I was working at the AF prime power plant, we had a HAS to live in where there were fabricated rooms. We could sleep through rocket alarms and everything. We even made ourselves a hot tub in the back and a bar for near beer!

Reply to Thread New Thread