LOGO
USA Society
USA social debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
HexcewlyRette

Default Cops to use cameras on Lapel of uniforms...
At lunch today, i saw a clip on HLN that showed some areas of cops using camera's on their lapels, much like they use dash cameras. Now i have always thought that to video someone else you needed their permission? Does that not apply to cops?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
pharmablogger

That depends on the state's laws. Some states, yes you need permission. Other states, no. IIRC, in one state you can't video any policeman.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
DumbNelmcrece

Use of a lapel camera should be no different than using a dash camera.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
pipitous

Should be.. that is the magic word.. Dash cams are to not only record the cop for his safety, but the one getting pulled over as well.. What is the lapel one being used for?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
lrtoinbert

Catches video from the POV of the officer, including any foot pursuits plus a picture of the driver in the event the officer is shot...the dash cam, being permanently mounted, can't follow action or see the driver/passenger in a vehicle. Ever see the Cop shows where someone fights with an officer and the action continues out of the view of the dashcam ? This would show more of what happened. Can also hold the driver's license up to the camera to capture an image.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Phighicle

That depends on the state's laws. Some states, yes you need permission. Other states, no. IIRC, in one state you can't video any policeman.
I could be wrong, but I think those rules/laws are more in regards to what you do with said recordings. I don't think they can prevent you from video taping someone so long as you are on public property, but you can't publish, broadcast, or sell said video recordings without the permission of the people being recorded.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
tipokot

If you are out in public, you can take a picture of or video tape anyone you want technically. Look at all these stupid videos on YouTube. Do you think people got permission to take a lot of those videos?

What I learned in my communications classes for my journalism degree is that if you have to scale a 30 foot fence to take pictures of someone in their home, that's invasion of privacy. However, if someone is say walking around their house nude and they stand in front of their window that way, you take a picture, that's not invasion of privacy.

I don't see how having a camera on their person is different than a dash cam. Do they have to get permission to video tape people they pull over, etc? Doubtful. Plus it would help them in a trial or a case as evidence probably.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
RadcliffXX

This goes precisely both ways. These cameras should be capable of being used in cases against LEOs as well. I've known several car enthusiasts with their own dash/helmet cameras that have successfully used their videos to bring charges against corrupt, over-bearing, or abusive LEOs.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
EzequielTMann

My thoughts exactly.. Will the cop's happen to 'accidently loose the footage' if there is something incriminating against them?? And why is it not ok to video them (in some areas) but ok for them to video you.. even without your knowledge..

Reply to Thread New Thread