LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
molaunterbizone

Default Romney Camp gives you exactly what you asked for...
Says Obamacare is not a tax, agrees with Scalia that it is unconstitutional.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...are-not-a-tax/

“The governor has consistently described the mandate in Massachusetts as a penalty,” Eric Fehrnstrom, Mr. ’s strategist, said on MSNBC. “The governor disagreed with the ruling of the court; he agreed with the dissent that was written by Justice Scalia, which clearly states the mandate was not a tax.”

During the congressional debate Mr. Obama and his allies repeatedly said the punishment levied against those who fail to obtain health insurance was a penalty, not a tax. During the court battle, however, his legal team switched and said it was, in fact, a tax — and a majority of the court agreed, saying that made it constitutional. And now a bunch of people are pissed off because they would rather argue about the tax.

http://www.redstate.com/aglanon/2012...are-not-a-tax/

This is upsetting to say the least. The moment that the ruling came down last Thursday the hounds of hell were released by conservatives on twitter and in the blogosphere and videos galore of Obama saying the mandate was not a tax contrasted with news reports that the Supreme Court of the United States disagreed. In fact, not just disagreed but indicated that it was required for it to be a tax in order to pass the constitutional test.

Many articles were written with conservatives rubbing their hands together in gleeful anticipation of the next several months of Barack Obama trying to explain how he didn’t break his promise on taxes while simultaneously claiming that the Supreme Court found his bill constitutional. It seemed obvious that these two things were in direct contradiction with one another given the decision, and assaulting the Democrats on this point was going to be easy. These guys can't win for losing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This should make some of you happy, even if it's a little bit late. It's unconstitutional. That's the attack vector they will use. I'm sure other republicans will attack the tax aspect, but it looks like is going to go from the other angle. Does he have a choice? If it's a tax, he raised taxes on MA residents.

Thanks for making it political, Roberts. That really helped, you clever fuck.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
xkQCaS4w

Okay... Better..

Still, I'd like to hear the words.

He waited to see how the chips would fall before tepidly stepping out on "principle"

Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
hictchewisa

Well the media forced down our throats for exactly this scenario. Care vs ObamaCare.

Neat touch with the name Rom ney

Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Zvmwissq

How ANY CONSERVATIVE can look at this and say "Yeah, it's Constitutional!" is just unthinkable to me.

Does it have the force of law? Yeah..

But it's clearly not Constitutional..

Old 07-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
Flalafuse

How ANY CONSERVATIVE can look at this and say "Yeah, it's Constitutional!" is just unthinkable to me.

Does it have the force of law? Yeah..

But it's clearly not Constitutional..
I hear you. I just wish that meant something to more people. Too many people believe that the court is infallible and that its word stands forever. Even though you proved in another post that they are just another political wing turning each other over when the mood strikes them, most people think that they are the final word. Civics education has failed us.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
prearpaccew

How the hell can a person be subjected to a punitive tax based on the fact that s/he exists in this nation?

Well I better start saving for that Chevy Volt since I'll probably have to buy one or pay a tax for not buying one.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
samanthalueus

I don't care what Shitt calls it.
I don't care what Obongo calls it.
I don't care what the SC calls it.

The government has no right whatsoever to force people to buy a product, period.
They can call it a tax, or penalty, or whatever term they choose, but that won't make it any less an affront to liberty.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
tinamasak

Civics education has failed us.
It truly has failed us.. This is important.

If the Constitution is fucked up (I have some issues with it) then we have a legal, orderly, legitimate way to fix it.. This endless leap frogging past the fucking thing.. We're going to end up with nothing left.

Also. It is, or should be, the heart of Conservatism.. It's lawful and proper.. It promotes personal responsibility and local and state politics over unelected tzars in DC.

I can't understand why people aren't more outraged at this. They're mad about obamacare, and that's bad, but that's just one abuse out of many..

Here's a really good article on the ruling: http://downloadpolitics.com/showthre...Supreme-Beings

Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
greeferweq

How the hell can a person be subjected to a punitive tax based on the fact that s/he exists in this nation?

Well I better start saving for that Chevy Volt since I'll probably have to buy one or pay a tax for not buying one.
Efficient appliances! SOLAR CELLS!

Srsly, I don't think any of this will happen tomorrow... But we're leaving this place to our kids..

In 20 years? a concept like this could really grow legs.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
drmarshallusa

Well up until this point in time I thought taxes had to originate in the legislative not the judicial branch. According to the dems in the legislative there was no tax for not purchasing health insurance so that means the judicial branch imposed a tax even though they lack the constitutional authority to do so.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
IvJlNwum

But we're leaving this place to our kids.. ^^^ And that's something else I wish people would remember ^^^^

What do you want to leave them? You want to leave them as slaves?

WHY?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Npbfamgt

Efficient appliances! SOLAR CELLS!

Srsly, I don't think any of this will happen tomorrow... But we're leaving this place to our kids..

In 20 years? a concept like this could really grow legs.
It's preordained. It will absolutely happen. It will start tentatively, with something small that nobody can argue with. Then it will stretch, and grow, and envelop everybody and everything. Just like the bans on smoking that started small and morphed into bans on soda. It has to be killed, now, with fire. Anybody who supports it has to be destroyed. It's anti-liberty. Support of such a thing should forfeit your liberty. We have to make support of such a thing hurt.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
Pheddytrourry

Well up until this point in time I thought taxes had to originate in the legislative not the judicial branch. According to the dems in the legislative there was no tax for not purchasing health insurance so that means the judicial branch imposed a tax even though they lack the constitutional authority to do so.
Taxes are collected by the government.. They're compelling the purchase of private products.

So.. It's a bit of two entirely different things.

More like extortion if you ask me.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
goldeneggs

http://youtu.be/5HKAuaU5VlE
THE MULE IS COOL.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IF IT'S UNCONSTITUTIONAL IN THE U.S.A.....

THEN IT'S UNCONSTITUTIONAL IN MASSACHUSSETTESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

PRESIDENT ROMBAMA!!!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
RsQhyZyR

It's anti-liberty. Support of such a thing should forfeit your liberty. We have to make support of such a thing hurt.
It should.. Apart from the Tea Party movement, we're lacking an advocate.

I mean, a bunch of the blue bloods love this.. Fuck, it's their idea!

To them, this is promoting business...

Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #16
soajerwaradaY

http://youtu.be/5HKAuaU5VlE
THE MULE IS COOL.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NO THANKS, BILLIARD... I DON'T WANT IT....

UNDER ANY NAME...

AT ANY PRICE...

I WANT NONE OF IT.

NO.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
dalnecymync

EVERYONE'S A NUMBER TO INSURORS AND TAXERS.

YOU AREN'T EVEN MEAT... JUST AN ASSET....

AN ITEM OF PROPERTY.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Cigarsstoreonline

It should.. Apart from the Tea Party movement, we're lacking an advocate.

I mean, a bunch of the blue bloods love this.. Fuck, it's their idea!

To them, this is promoting business...
funny how all of us agree on this but our reps in DC are too ignorant or arrogant to do anything about it.

maybe it is time for a revolution. Never thought I would say that, but I just did.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
TheLucyLee

funny how all of us agree on this but our reps in DC are too ignorant or arrogant to do anything about it.

maybe it is time for a revolution. Never thought I would say that, but I just did.
The problem with a Revolution is what happens next..

Blood and guns isn't likely to get us where we need to be.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
errolespopume

The problem with a Revolution is what happens next..

Blood and guns isn't likely to get us where we need to be.
Geeez, two days ago you and Jes were ready to lock and load and start shooting. WTF?

Reply to Thread New Thread