View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
malishka1025

The challenge it seems, is to to be with an awareness which doesn't tag objects as attractive or aversive it seems. Something I have noticed is that whilst there is a sense of a me as a person who needs objects e.g. a car, house, family and a good job etc, then there is an underlying reason to tag objects as attractive or unattractive to my needs. For example which people might help me get a good job (attractive). Can we be a householder and free from tagging objects? What do you think?
I think that's necessary, it's our survival instinct, if you do in fact need a to get a good job it's useful to know which people might help you get a good job for example.

That doesn't mean you have to buy into that and you should be able to just see it as a useful tool that helps you get by.

It isn't a source of happiness, security, or validation, neither is achieving the outcome you desire.

Yes one shouldn't tag objects as attractive or aversive, however you should tag the attraction or aversion that arises in response to them as this aids in understanding the impermanent not self nature of those feeling tones. It helps remind you that the attractiveness or aversiveness is not intrinsic to the object but merely a reaction.