Thread: Madden or ESPN
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #10
Turbo-ip

Each game has it's strong points.

ESPN has much more realistic game play, but it's also really choppy. The ability for a runner to break tackles is great, and there are ample moves a runner can make (spin, dive, lower shoulder, stiff arm, juke, stop short, studder step, hurdle). The passing engine is almost perfect, except for CPU controlled defenders playing a zone (they tend to look lost in coverage).

Madden is really smooth, but the game play could use some adjusting. I've found it more rare for a runner to be able to break tackles in Madden 05. Also, it's nearly impossible to run up the middle, it's just too congested. In real life, tackles are broken all the time, but in Madden, 8 times out of 10, the runner will go down on the first attempt at a tackle by any defender (DT or CB, it doesn't matter)

I would give the nod to ESPN 2K5, but it's got a couple things that need to be changed. They need to get rid of that stupid tapping speed burst, and they need to get some sort of training camp feature.

I think Madden has fallen behind in game play and graphics, but it still has the best features (hit stick, training camp, hold button for speed burst). The only thing that I think sucks about the new Madden, is that you can't change the controls. I always switch the defensive speed burst to X instead of O, but you can't do that anymore.