Thread: Madden or ESPN
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
vodaPlaps

ESPN is still a bit buggy, and that's partially why I give the nod to Madden 2005. It's not apples and oranges, but they are two different types of football games. ESPN is for the folks that enjoy playing exibition games to their heart's content, whereas Madden is becoming the game for people who enjoy intense Franchise mode play.

As far as ESPN's bugs (I played this game for about a week before I purchased Madden):

You could get a big run and have it called back on a holding or clipping play and it affects your stats. Instead of the play being negated on a 30 yard run, for example, you'll be credited with one run for -45 yards (-30 for the run, -15 for the penalty). That's simply unacceptable.

You can't substitute players at other positions on the depth chart, something I had seen in past versions of Madden and the old NFL 2K, as I recall. For example, Jim Kleinsasser is listed as a fullback for the Vikings, but plays the position of Tight End. I can't change him to tight end in ESPN because it won't let me change a FB to a TE.

To make him a TE, I had to go through the playbook and change every single formation to put him out there. I saved my playbook, and when I would try to play the game, he'd be gone again. Where did he go? I saved my playbook, made sure my profile was active and everything. I go to look up my playbook again, and the plays are back to the way they were before I made the changes. Huh?

Going along the lines of the profile, that is also messed up. I set my VIP up as active, only to see that I didn't get points for the game I played because apparently my VIP wasn't declared as the "active" one, even though I already went through and made it my "active" profile.

Then we go into the player ratings. Being that I went to the Vikings first, that's the part that sticks out most. I noticed that Antoine Winfield was rated at a 79, yet Marcus Robinson was rated at an 83. Regardless of where you think Winfield should be rated, I don't think any of you would say that Marcus Robinson is better than Antoine Winfield. Rating mishaps like this plague the game.

As far as Madden, I just got it, so I can't really make much comment on it except to say it looks much improved from 2004.