View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
nd90t3sf

The shelter I got my dog from has the same policy. When they resucue a dog they commit to the dog they rescue for life and do not want the dog winding up in a kill shelter. As a matter of fact, my dogs micro chip lists the shelter as the contact so if the dog were ever lost he might be returned to them and then they would return to us.

Six months after I adopted the dog he ate my daughters bra. Under wire and all, which caused it to be stuck in the dogs stomach and upper intestine, the vet wanted six grand to surgically remove it. I called the rescue and asked if they had any options for me. They referred me to their vet who was willing to perform the procedure for $3,000. When I asked the rescue what would happen if I did not pay for the surgery, They said I could return the dog to them and they would have the procedure done. So I asked if I could then re-adopt him and they said no. Then I asked if they would take the dog and perform the surgery, and I offered to then re adopt him and donate $3,000 to the rescue which would have covered the expense of the surgery and allow me to at least take a tax deduction for the money which would have saved me about $1200 on my taxes. They would not do that as they said it was illegal. In the end I just paid the vet.