View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Mambattedge

Hmmm...once again, the article doesn't say what you claim it says. IMHO, if she REALLY said what your thread title said, they would have quoted it in the article. Yet they didn't so I would venture to guess she didn't say it. She seemed to be saying that AIDS killed a lot of people and the attitutde that being gay is ok in the MSM was a daily threat to our moral wellbeing but no where in the article can I find the quote that "homsexuality is more dangerous than terrorism."
What writer Stephen D. Foster Jr. said that Sally Kern said in the very first paragraph was as follows:

“In an interview with an anti-gay activist, Oklahoma Republican State Legislator Sally Kern stated that ‘homosexuality is more dangerous than terrorist attacks.’” He went on to state that Kern said “Her remarks come two years after remarks she made in 2008 when she said that ‘homosexuality was a bigger threat than terrorism or Islam.’”

Foster went on to directly quote Kern: “You know if you just look at it in practical terms, which has destroyed and ended the life of more people? Terrorism attack here in America or HIV/AIDS? In the last twenty years, fifteen to twenty years, we’ve had maybe three terrorist attacks on our soil with a little over 5,000 people regrettably losing their lives. In the same time frame, there have been hundreds of thousands who have died because of having AIDS. So which one’s the biggest threat?”

Of course Kern is incorrect, since there have been more terrorist attacks on our soil, with only the first four [I’m including the 1993 attack on the WTC] actually paying off to any degree. She didn’t factor in the extra-territorial attacks, so I won’t either.

As to the comparison with AIDS/HIV, she did not quantify the results to even the degree she did with the terrorist attacks – she rounded the quantity to “hundreds of thousands” – so she compared apples to oranges. She then switched to the “Morality” issue, and stuck to generalities on that subject, except that she finished her statement with the following, which does make her point: “Fortunately we don’t have to deal with a terrorist attack every day, and that’s what I mean. It’s more dangerous, and yes I think that it’s also more dangerous because it will tear down the moral fiber of this nation.”

Now. Did she come out and say exactly what Yggdrasil says that she said? No, but she wasn’t trying to muddy the waters about actual terrorist attacks, but to muddy the waters by over-generalizing her point about an attack on American morality.