Thread: 1979 Flashbacks
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
boffincash

I did once have copies of all the registers from about 1980 onwards until they stopped making them. It was a bible for me & my brother as we would always be reading it and basically solving arguments with it.... Unfortunately I have lost many of them. I think I still have a few around, but not many.

I can remember going to the footy in the late 70's with my old man. I always have this memory of Barry Cable playing for EP in a game at East Fremantle Oval. I dont know why but I can remember that for some unknown reason. That would have been in either 1978 or 1979.

But the early 80's I remember very well as a kid. The crowds at most EP games (which were the only games we attended) were generally big, especially against sides like WP,SD and SF. I remember quite clearly on several occasions me & my brother collecting steel beer cans and stacking enough of them so we could stand on them and see the game. That is how it was at times during the big games. I do recall being perched up in a tree at Perth Oval watching the Royals against Swans. It was the only way we could see what was going on, and we had the best view. The old man would buy us a hotdog and a choc milk and pass it up to us so we didnt have to get down. They were remarkable times for local suburban footy. Young kids today wouldnt really understand or appreciate what we are talking about. Saturday afternoons in winter were all about the footy. If you were not at a game it just felt weird.