View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #19
LymnInvinny

wait and Estonia is nordic ??
...... Yes. Did you think that I am some kind of a Balt?

they are half noridc half baltic
Half-Baltic? Estonians are 100% Finnic...

Ooooooh, you two shouldn't have said that! Pohjamaalane will now unleash all of his un-Baltic Finno-Estonian Nordic might on this thread.
Awww... you're going to make me blush.

For a second I thought that I am an Oeselian viking, in the year of 900, landing on a Swedish beach and running into battle while yelling "Thor, help!". Those were the good old times.

Tharapita or Taarapita or Taara is a god in Estonian mythology.

The Chronicle of Henry of Livonia mentions Tharapita as the superior god of Oeselians (inhabitants of Saaremaa island), also well known to Vironian tribes in northern Estonia. According to the chronicle, when the crusaders invaded Vironia in 1220, there was a beautiful wooded hill in Vironia, where locals believe Oeselian god Tharapita was born and from which he flew to Saaremaa. The hill is believed to be the Ebavere Hill (Ebavere mägi) in modern Lääne-Viru County.

The name Taarapita has been interpreted as "Thor, help!" (Taara a(v)ita in Estonian) and associated with the Scandinavian god Thor. Other interpretations are "Thor's Thunderbolt" (Taara pikne) or "Thor (is) great" (Taara (on) vägev). 19th century creators of Estonian pseudomythology made Taara the supreme god of the Estonian pantheon.