LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
EmxATW5m

Default Countries With Potential and Why?
In North America

Canada - Has wide ranging resources with a small population of only 28 million and a total area of 9,976 sq km. Relative to a density of 3 people per sq km

In South America

Venezuela - Has huge oil reserves that can rival the middle east, in addition to having vast reserves of coal, bauxite, iron and gold. With only a population of 20 million and a total area of 912, 050 sq km, relative to a density of 22 people per sq km.

Bolivia - Has newly discovered oil and natural gas deposits with gold, zinc and silver mines. With a small population of 8 million to a total area of 1,090,580 sq km relative to a density of 7 people per sq km.

In Africa

Libya - Huge oil reserves and was one of the leading oil exporters. With a population of only 6 million and a total area of 1,759,540 sq km relative to a density of 3 people per sq km.

Somalia - Huge potential for untapped oil and gas resources, with one of Africa's longest coast making Somalia rich in marine resources ((fish and salt))
Minerals with high potential include gold, Uranium, zinc, lead, manganese, aluminum, and graphite. There are areas with considerable groundwater accumulation.
With a population of between 7-8 million and a total area of 637,660 sq km relative to a density of 12 people per sq km.

Congo (Zaire) - Huge abundance of mineral wealth with a strong potential for hydro-electric power to supply the needs of the entire continent.
With a population of 42 million and a total area of 2,345,4110 sq km relative to a density of 18 people per sq km

Equatorial Guinea - Yet to be untapped oil and gas reserves. With a population of 400, 000 and a total area of 28, 050 sq km relative to a density of 14 people per sq km

Gabon - Already an oil producing nation with huge oil reserves still remaining.
With a population of 1.3 million of a total area of 267, 670 sq km relative to a density of 5 people per sq km

Angola - Has the potential to become one of Africa's richest countries. Already oil and diamonds are exported as main commodities.
Already an oil producing nation with huge oil reserves still remaining.
With a population of 10.3 million of a total area of 1,246,700sq km relative to a density of 8 people per sq km

Namibia - Already the 3rd wealthiest country in Africa. With a huge wealth in marine resources thanks to the length of its coast as well as mineral resources.
With a population of 1.6 million of a total area of 824,290 sq km relative to a density of 2 people per sq km

Botswana - Blessed with an abundance of precious minerals such a diamonds, copper, nickel and soda ash, Botswana already is starting to have a prosperous economy.
With a population of 1.4 million of a total area of 581,730 sq km relative to a density of 2 people per sq km

In Europe

Albania - Lying at the southwestern end of the Adriatic sea, Albania has untapped oil and gas reserves and growth rate has the potential to offset rudimentary infrastructure.
With a population of 3.3 million of a total area of 28, 750 sq km relative to a density of 120 people per sq km

In Australia and Oceania

Australia - Already having efficient mining and agricultural industries, as well as a successful tourist industry. Australia also has huge untapped mineral deposits and a pool of marine wealth.
With a population of 18 million of a total area of 7,686,850 sq km relative to a density of 2 people per sq km

I left out Asia

Please add any other countries with explanations as to why.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Imiweevierm

You have different kinds of potential. Natural resources. Human resources. Some countries remain shit poor forever, though remain in the state of having a high potential forever; one that never gets used due to cultural inability.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Intory

You have different kinds of potential. Natural resources. Human resources. Some countries remain shit poor forever, though remain in the state of having a high potential forever; one that never gets used due to cultural inability.
Good question. First of all potential is relative to a country having a small population with an abundance of huge natural resources.
Yes many of the said countries are poor because the answer could be summarized as follows:

1- Lack of technology, security, and political stability.
2- Scarcity of professionals and skilled people, and struggle for survival for those few available
professionals;
3- Mismanagement and/or lack of sincere, capable, and responsible administration.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
GenManagerS

Scratch Canada out, it's going down the tubes. Our oil and vast natural resources are being pumped to the United States and the people here see little benefit from it. This county is currently run by self-serving twats without a moral compass.

I'm currently researching new countries to move to.

Which is ironic because several different genetic projects have directly linked me to one of the first Europeans to settle in Canada over 400 years ago. The only people more Canadian than me are the Natives.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
Clolmemaexata

Good question. First of all potential is relative to a country having a small population with an abundance of huge natural resources.
Yes many of the said countries are poor because the answer could be summarized as follows:

1- Lack of technology, security, and political stability.
2- Scarcity of professionals and skilled people, and struggle for survival for those few available
professionals;
3- Mismanagement and/or lack of sincere, capable, and responsible administration.
+ exploitation from other countries

Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
prmwsinfo

+ exploitation from other countries
Exploitation isn't the cause of a lack of progress, it's a product. Foreigners come in to assist the so-called exploited countries extract their resources because there is little in the way home grown initiative and capital.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Kilaoksrsa

I marked the Potential of Western countries in green here:

Sorry Antarctica, you suck!

Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
iuopyra

Mongolia

ON THE VERGE OF A MINERAL BOOM

Old 12-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
StevenS

Exactly. Natural resources can be useful, but ultimately it's culture/mentality that matters.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
borasolit

New Zealand definitely.

And it's not just because of Lord of the Rings!

Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
SDorothy28

Corruption is the biggest deterrent of national success. And once the rot gets into the wood, it can never ever be removed. I would think the South American and African countries would have this, so they are off the list. No matter how much a country progresses, if there is corruption it will grow exponentially, since it is a human nature.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
icerrelmCam

Antarctica

Old 12-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
isopsmypovA

you forgot southern Sudan which is very rich in resources
and Morocco with Sahara and it's minerals and the biggest banc of fish and it very fertile lands in the Northwest and Kenitra region have potential

Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Tw1anJOO

I agree. Some people think that with natural resources (A MATTER OF LUCK) you can be great... what a lie! Two historical examples of this are:
1- Japan: few natural resources despite doing the industrial revolution in 35 years, thanks to their great human minds.
2- Southern America: plenty of natural resources but all poverty.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
QYD8eQ8F

i already knew that Somalia has a huge potential to become a rich country with its oil and beautiful coastlines. it is such a shame the country is a failed state.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
feAilei1

Poland has big reserves of shale gas

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9208f...#axzz1go9KiVel

Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
aparneioninny

@ Excel do you where about oil in Somalia is located????

Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #18
Peter Hill

I don't want to be sharp or offend, but I'm hearing replies which seem like jokes: Somalia? Bolivia? Sudan?

Seriously, when I'm thinking in the future I'm thinking in areas with human development, and of course political stability. I'm thinking, so, in: the East and West coasts of USA, Japan, the european nordic countries (Sweden, Finland...), United Kingdom, Central Europe, the "assian tigers" (South Korea, Singapur...) and that's all. The rest are conspiracies.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
kvitacencia

I don't want to be sharp or offend, but I'm hearing replies which seem like jokes: Somalia? Bolivia? Sudan?

Seriously, when I'm thinking in the future I'm thinking in areas with human development, and of course political stability. I'm thinking, so, in: the East and West coasts of USA, Japan, the european nordic countries (Sweden, Finland...), United Kingdom, Central Europe, the "assian tigers" (South Korea, Singapur...) and that's all. The rest are conspiracies.
Wee have not oil and gas, and never will have because the Ice Age cleaned our bedrock. But we have very rare metals which are used in alloys in high technology. Somalia and other now poor countries are interesting because big western companies have dreams about making big money.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #20
avaiguite

Corruption is the biggest deterrent of national success. And once the rot gets into the wood, it can never ever be removed. I would think the South American and African countries would have this, so they are off the list. No matter how much a country progresses, if there is corruption it will grow exponentially, since it is a human nature.
So does Canada. I'm in no way comparing it to Africa, but Canada has actually been regressing. We went from the best country in the world to live in to not even in the top 10 since the current government took power. And there are some pretty messed up laws being passed. As I said, I'm researching places to move to because I'd like to bail before things get really bad. Maybe even a "developing country" since "developing" means it's getting better, which is better than being in a regressing country with failing infrastructure and increasing police control. Ive even looked at places in Africa: particularly South Africa and Mauritius. Also looking at the Nordic countries.

People ask me why I'm not looking at France since my ancestors came from there and I speak French, but my ancestors left for a reason, you don't up and leave home unless shit really sucks (especially back then when surviving the Atlantic crossing wasn't guaranteed. I also see France as regressing just like Canada is.

Reply to Thread New Thread