LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
chppjdf

Default Why Southern European countries are more racist than Northern European countries?
why Southern European and Eastern European countries tend to be more racist than Northern European countries?How can ex-nazi countries be more tolerant? isn't it contradictory?Do you think Catholicism and ortodox Catholicism has something to do with this?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
22paseabelldaps

It's because those countries populations are in general more nationalistic and value their traditional values more. It does not have much to do with religion. France is e.g. Catholic and 8% of the country is black along with millions of other foreigners.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
IRMartin

why Southern European and Eastern European countries tend to be more racist than Northern European countries?How can ex-nazi countries be more tolerant? isn't it contradictory?Do you think Catholicism and ortodox Catholicism has something to do with this?
If certainly, for this reason in America where they seated north European and French, the Natives are so abundant...

Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
thegamexpertsdotcom

why Southern European and Eastern European countries tend to be more racist than Northern European countries?
What are your sources or what gives you this impression?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
tmobmobfil

I'm a native of Northern Europe and have also lived in two Southern European countries. I haven't noticed that Southerners are more racist. I think that racism is a real and growing problem in both regions.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
AffipgyncDync

I have perhaps an idea :

- Southern Euro as like every Med societies are very centered into family and therefore lineage and bloodline : endogamy is the rule and foreigner are not welcomed. A clan society in sum, the core is the village or the neighborhood.

- Northern Europe has much more an individualist society and even the family spirit has been broken during the Great Industrial Revolution which was a factor of exogamy. Add to this that Northern Europeans are fond of liberalism.

A good example of this difference would a comparison with Northern France and Corsica : I would not dare what will become a girl if she runs off with a Black guy or being gay in Corsica or in Italy whereas in Northern Europe it is seen as cool by most of folks...

Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
Mmzmptvk

I'm a native of Northern Europe and have also lived in two Southern European countries. I haven't noticed that Southerners are more racist. I think that racism is a real and growing problem in both regions.
I thought that you are from the United Kingdom.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
BGThomasis

Eastern Europe isn't that fimiliar with immigrants(especially immigrants from places outside of europe).

Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #9
jinnsamys

The UN does categorize the UK and Ireland as Northern European countries, though often they're considered as part of Western Europe. Similarly, the UN categorizes the Baltic countries as Northern European, when often they're considered part of Eastern Europe, so there's an analogous situation close to home for you.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
CreativeAcrobate

The UN does categorize the UK and Ireland as Northern European countries, though often they're considered as part of Western Europe. Similarly, the UN categorizes the Baltic countries as Northern European, when often they're considered part of Eastern Europe, so there's an analogous situation close to home for you.
Neither the Brits nor the Balts are ethno-culturally Northern-European/Nordic. But the countries of the Balts are geographically slightly more northern, I think.

London will have +22C tomorrow, while Northern-European countries still have huge piles of snow everywhere.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Infellgedq

Neither the Brits nor the Balts are ethno-culturally Northern-European/Nordic. But the countries of the Balts are geographically slightly more northern, I think.

London will have +22C tomorrow, while Northern-European countries still have huge piles of snow everywhere.
Nordic is not synonymous with Northern European. Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Iceland) make up much of Northern Europe, but usually the Baltic countries and occasionally the British Isles are considered part of Northern Europe.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Julik19

Nordic is not synonymous with Northern European. Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Iceland) make up much of Northern Europe, but usually the Baltic countries and occasionally the British Isles are considered part of Northern Europe.
Nordic is an ethno-cultural term.

As I said before, the Balts and their countries may be in Northern-Europe, but culturally they're not Nordic, the same applies to the UK and the Brits.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #13
RildFiemodo

It's because they are already invaded by immigrants from north africa and east so they feel threatened

Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #14
Anakattawl

It's because they are already invaded by immigrants from north africa and east so they feel threatened
Western Europe is ''invaded'' yea, but eastern europe(which is more racist than western europe) isn't

Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
Adamanta

As I said before, the Balts and their countries may be in Northern-Europe, but culturally they're not Nordic, the same applies to the UK and the Brits.
wait and Estonia is nordic ??

Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #16
Jalieteplalry

they are half noridc half baltic

Old 04-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #17
reervieltnope

Ooooooh, you two shouldn't have said that! Pohjamaalane will now unleash all of his un-Baltic Finno-Estonian Nordic might on this thread.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #18
CarrieSexy

North-west Europe. I didn't mean the Nordic countries.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #19
LymnInvinny

...... Yes. Did you think that I am some kind of a Balt?

Half-Baltic? Estonians are 100% Finnic...

Ooooooh, you two shouldn't have said that! Pohjamaalane will now unleash all of his un-Baltic Finno-Estonian Nordic might on this thread.
Awww... you're going to make me blush.

For a second I thought that I am an Oeselian viking, in the year of 900, landing on a Swedish beach and running into battle while yelling "Thor, help!". Those were the good old times.

Tharapita or Taarapita or Taara is a god in Estonian mythology.

The Chronicle of Henry of Livonia mentions Tharapita as the superior god of Oeselians (inhabitants of Saaremaa island), also well known to Vironian tribes in northern Estonia. According to the chronicle, when the crusaders invaded Vironia in 1220, there was a beautiful wooded hill in Vironia, where locals believe Oeselian god Tharapita was born and from which he flew to Saaremaa. The hill is believed to be the Ebavere Hill (Ebavere mägi) in modern Lääne-Viru County.

The name Taarapita has been interpreted as "Thor, help!" (Taara a(v)ita in Estonian) and associated with the Scandinavian god Thor. Other interpretations are "Thor's Thunderbolt" (Taara pikne) or "Thor (is) great" (Taara (on) vägev). 19th century creators of Estonian pseudomythology made Taara the supreme god of the Estonian pantheon.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #20
Mambattedge

Latvia is culturally Nordic.

Reply to Thread New Thread