LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #21
ClaudeMarkus

Will hopefully get other, similar threads going. Have recently temporarily liberated the WA Football Registers from 1974-1990 from my father in law. Sort of going to the state library and digging around (which I still may do), these books are a holy grail of info.
Ive been lucky this last year. I'm at the stage where I only need 2 Registers to complete the set, 1963 and 64. Got the 1968 a few weeks ago. I can remember getting the 1979 Register at the Grand Final when it was only a dollar and had over 250 pages. Also remember only wanting to be there to see Swans play in the Reserves GF. 1979 was my first year following WANFL as a 10 y/o. Ive also got every Budget from 1975 onwards and only need a few to complete 1970-74.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #22
gedsiz

Good luck in your search for the 1963 and 64 Footy Registers, Brad. I have a few more to get, specifically 1962-68, 70 and 71. I think I'm going to have to up my bidding when I next see one on eBay, though they pop up very irregularly these days.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #23
remstaling

great blog upforgrabs certainly enjoyed all the stats & brought back some memories of day gone by. I can remember when Mick Cronin passed away & the footy show on 7 the next day it doesn't seem so long ago. For me I have alot of fond memories of Bassendean on a Saturday afternoon in the 70/80s with my old man; sliding down the back of the hills on cardboard, kicking the footy on the oval well until after dark good days indeed.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #24
Lorionasodi

ah demon den - len gandini brings back memories from juniors.
arrogant prick he was and not very popular.
remember blueing with him at colts one night, won the war but left the club just after that when eddie mcCalcheck (????) sorry for spelling) was coaching, should have stayed but too hot headed.
heard he's a fat buda now - would love to catch up for a chat or a work out ;D

Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #25
Idorsearogele

ah demon den - len gandini brings back memories from juniors.
arrogant prick he was and not very popular.
remember blueing with him at colts one night, won the war but left the club just after that when eddie mcCalcheck (????) sorry for spelling) was coaching, should have stayed but too hot headed.
heard he's a fat buda now - would love to catch up for a chat or a work out ;D
;D Haven't had a good laugh on here for a while. Welcome to waflonline Raiserrr. You've "raised" the standard here already. Good humour and tells it as it is.

Ah yes Len Gandini knows all the best hamburger stands in Perth mate. Funny thing is he was one of our fittest back in those dark early 80's. Got a shock when i saw him coaching our ressies a few years ago. He actually did a bloody good job and most supporters were impressed the way he addressed the players. A bit more old school you might say and he got results. F-ck knows why but the following year he was coaching Claremont's ressies. I heard he put a few noses out of joint at the trophy presentations (at Perth) at the end of the year. Probably told a few home truths which cut to the bone.

Hope to see you posting here regularly mate and looking forward to see what 2011 brings us all. For Perth supporters hopefully something different to what we are used to.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #26
Lapsiks

yep, like your stuff on goss, you were one of few who said it how it was - whether fear or favour. that's a rare commodity. well done.
yeah - remember fat boy put a few noses out of joint, and that's when he was fit.
i remember playing against subi (of all teams) and their ruckman accidently stood on my ankle waitning for a ball up and the ligaments ripped from the bone, well our ruckman neville rip didn't see the lead up, just saw me on the ground holding my head thinking their ruckman smashed me.
well rippy was about 6'6 at 18 and just smashed this bloke and got about 8 weeks for his trouble.
that was around the fat budda time so i never spoke to rippy about the incident, though he prob wouldn't remember it now anyway.
but had a massive dislike for gandini from juniors to colts after playing against him with some cheap shots along the way. got to colts together and decided his arrogance needed attending to ;D

Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #27
Peabelilt

yep, like your stuff on goss, you were one of few who said it how it was - whether fear or favour. that's a rare commodity. well done.
yeah - remember fat boy put a few noses out of joint, and that's when he was fit.
i remember playing against subi (of all teams) and their ruckman accidently stood on my ankle waitning for a ball up and the ligaments ripped from the bone, well our ruckman neville rip didn't see the lead up, just saw me on the ground holding my head thinking their ruckman smashed me.
well rippy was about 6'6 at 18 and just smashed this bloke and got about 8 weeks for his trouble.
that was around the fat budda time so i never spoke to rippy about the incident, though he prob wouldn't remember it now anyway.
but had a massive dislike for gandini from juniors to colts after playing against him with some cheap shots along the way. got to colts together and decided his arrogance needed attending to ;D
Ha ha, great story mate. Neville Rip? FArrrk, that's a blast from the past! ;D Thanks for sharing. My memory is fading a bit these days. You would've played with Lyndsay Carter, the Colemans (skinny Coleman), Barry Kimberly.

I thought Lyndsay Carter was going to be a champion. Had a very good debut year but struggled to recapture that form after that.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #28
ThisIsOK

didn't Gandini & Bazza Kimberley end up at Swans as i recall it?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #29
PekHyvac

didn't Gandini & Bazza Kimberley end up at Swans as i recall it?
They did indeed slab and you can add John Clarkson to that list. From memory also a ruckman named Bell went to Basso.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #30
ceagstuntee

Well Len Gandini and me and Mark Riley used to play cricket for West Perth ( home ground WACA capts at that time were Ric Charlesworth then Wayne Clark, morphed into Willeton CC) in the mid 80s...subtract me from the equation and guess where Gando and Riles were in 94? At Claremont FC. Mates help mates ,RIGHT! Nepotism anyone?
Anyway unless youre doing a ****ing PHD on this it may be time to get a little fresh air,
and remember Perth - Humans DID NOT cause Global Warming nor contribute to its FLATNESS!!!!
Goat pharking rules Bevan

;D Haven't had a good laugh on here for a while. Welcome to waflonline Raiserrr. You've "raised" the standard here already. Good humour and tells it as it is.

Ah yes Len Gandini knows all the best hamburger stands in Perth mate. Funny thing is he was one of our fittest back in those dark early 80's. Got a shock when i saw him coaching our ressies a few years ago. He actually did a bloody good job and most supporters were impressed the way he addressed the players. A bit more old school you might say and he got results. F-ck knows why but the following year he was coaching Claremont's ressies. I heard he put a few noses out of joint at the trophy presentations (at Perth) at the end of the year. Probably told a few home truths which cut to the bone.

Hope to see you posting here regularly mate and looking forward to see what 2011 brings us all. For Perth supporters hopefully something different to what we are used to.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #31
Keyclenef

Well Len Gandini and me and Mark Riley used to play cricket for West Perth ( home ground WACA capts at that time were Ric Charlesworth then Wayne Clark, morphed into Willeton CC) in the mid 80s...subtract me from the equation and guess where Gando and Riles were in 94? At Claremont FC. Mates help mates ,RIGHT! Nepotism anyone?
Anyway unless youre doing a ****ing PHD on this it may be time to get a little fresh air,
and remember Perth - Humans DID NOT cause Global Warming nor contribute to its FLATNESS!!!!
Goat pharking rules Bevan
To quote Pauline Hanson....Please Explain??

Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
papadopul

1979? - I remember the Fremantle Oval Derby where 23000 people crammed into see the game . geez I think it was high scoring from memory too some thing like 20.30 to 20.15 , home side's way ?????
There was at least one other game that year that went over 20000 in attendance , Another Fremantle Derby got 19000 too if I recall.
I remember CHESSON brand footballs being used in games still , good balls , I liked them to be honest.
Also remember the Dropkick/Stabpass had only just been phased out of modern footy and how all the "oldtimers" were in disgust .... going to games and seeing Rioli , Peake , Michael , Krakouer(s) , John Duckworth , Moss , Cable , Narkle(s), Bosustow the freaks like Stasinowsky , Vigona , Phil Krakouer hard hard guys like Basil Campbell , Needle , Nowotny and all the other legends of our game at the heights of their power.
Then to end it all - another record crowd 52000??? to see Blue & White take it - big season that one.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #33
loikrso

What a fkn crap year...thats all.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
Hmntezmb

w.a won the national championship in 1979 -what was the format, who did we play, dates, who was in the team? anyone know?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #35
tobaccoman

w.a won the national championship in 1979 -what was the format, who did we play, dates, who was in the team? anyone know?
It was a carnival in Perth. I seem to remember there being a couple of games on some days. Brian Peake played the most magnificent game against Victoria. I was there but the memories are vague. I remember Rick Davies using torpedo punts when having shots at goal from close range. An amazing player was Davies in SA. On his day he would mark everything for Sturt. There's plenty of footage of him on youtube.

Brian Peake and Russell Ebert were my two favourite non-Subiaco players. Both were amazing players. There is plenty of footage of Ebert on youtube but very little of Peake sadly. Or Stephen Michael come to think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcsT7TfKo9M Ebert

Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #36
annouhMus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Pe...rigin_Carnival

Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #37
ppaelkos

Geezus, no wonder we won, that list just oozes megastars from the 70's. Don't know why Alan Johnson isn't on that list. Maybe he was injured?

Coach: Barry Cable
Captain: Brian Peake

Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #38
Nikitka

one of the best, if not the best. i think it is possible but difficult to compare teams from different eras. how does 1921, 1961, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1991 compare?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #39
biannaruh

Anytime we beat the Vics it had to be a great side. The 86, 79 and 61 sides stand out but it's hard to say.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #40
skiboyx

maybe the best team did'nt beat the vics - they went close, away on a mcg mud heap,against a victorian team containing a champion west aussie maybe.

Reply to Thread New Thread