LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Adimondin

Default Habit
Hello,
I've noticed I have developed bad habits..during a year of uncertainty...

My desire to explore Buddhism has stemmed from my need and desire to:

1.) Cultivate an attitude that allows me to confront uncertainty in a more peaceful way (because we all know, uncertainty happens in life...it can't be stopped)
2.) Change some of the bad habits I developed

I went to a meditation at a temple that had a lecture afterward entitled "Beyond influences"...it was said that you really cultivate mindfulness to deal with uncertainty during times of certainty (that's the trick, I guess)...

One notion I have is to start early morning meditation...but, it's been hard to get myself to get up early enough to do it...or even be still that long...how did others get into the practice of meditation?

Also, any books or practices that could be recommended?

I want to be mindful, even as I am experiencing change..I want to still care for others, even when I am figuring things out...

Thanks so much!

Michael

Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
BopeDolaNeone

...how did others get into the practice of meditation?
hi Michael

i got into meditation by doing meditation retreats (which is probably similar to meditating at a temple or dharma centre if one does not have time for retreats). once i got comfortable with meditating, i then meditating alone more often

so i would suggest more time at the temple because meditating with others pushes us along until we can walk on our own two feet more

kind regards

element

Old 06-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
pooncophy

One notion I have is to start early morning meditation...but, it's been hard to get myself to get up early enough to do it...or even be still that long...how did others get into the practice of meditation?
Hi New seeker,

I started with 5-10 minutes morning and evening and then when I got used to doing that, I gradually increased the time.

Also, any books or practices that could be recommended? I suggest you attend meditation sessions at the temple you mentioned. Other than that there's a thread with some meditation resources in our Study Links section which might be helpful.

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...0131#post40131

with kind wishes,

Aloka

Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Hlennisal

Hi Michael,

Start with 5 or 10 minutes -as Aloka said- at a time which is best for you can be a great first step.

This is a good resource too:

Mindfulness Bliss and Beyond

Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Haibundadam

Thanks for the resources...I'll start to read them.

I'm also thinking of signing up for a weekend at a retreat center called Peace Village (in upstate New York) as a birthday present to myself...I don't think it's Buddhist though...it was recommended by a friend...but it seems there is an organization supporting it (brahma kurmaris) that I want to know more about before I sign up.

But I like the idea of a retreat, to be around others for a weekend.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
NowFloabDow

But I like the idea of a retreat, to be around others for a weekend.
Sounds great!

Good luck Newseeker

Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
cialesxtr

Hello,
I've noticed I have developed bad habits..during a year of uncertainty...

2.) Change some of the bad habits I developed

I want to be mindful, even as I am experiencing change..I want to still care for others, even when I am figuring things out...

Michael
Hi Michael- I wish you the best of luck developing your practice. Our experienced friends have given you good advice, and I would second it. It can be hard to start, but as they say take if 5 minutes at a time and go from there. I have had to experiment with a number of different postures for meditating, it was really hard to find one that is comfortable for me; don't get stuck in thinking you have to sit cross legged.

I have also developed some bad habits in the past, especially during times of uncertainty. We tend to retreat into what is easy and comfortable during these times, even when we know it is not healthy. The first steps in changing these habits are to acknowledge that you have them and understand how they carry you. Then, you can start to change them. I'm still working on mine

I would add one more piece of advice to your last statement, that you want to still care for others. Be careful that you don't care for others at the expense of yourself. I have learned it's easy to get caught up in taking care of other people and neglecting your own help and desire for change. Meditation can help here too- meditate on what is going on around you and how your habits are affecting you, and be sensitive to when you need to take care of yourself.

With metta
monkey

Reply to Thread New Thread