LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Kiliunjubl

Default About to buy my pitbull puppy soon and looking for advice
My names Mario and I'm new to this site and am glad to associate with other pitbull owners. But I would like some advice. I'm getting ready to start looking for a rednose or blue nose pitbull puppy soon. And was looking for some advice BEFORE i get him so I know what to do when I pick him up and take him to get shots and everything. Also some traning tips on (of course) not using the bathroom in the house. I AM getting my pitbull as a puppy and I know it's going to use the bathroom inside the house on accident. I just want some tips as it gets older how to house train it. Thank you.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
mylittlejewelaa

Tip #1, rednose, and bluenose are not a "breed" or "line" of APBT, they just describe the color of the dog's nose. Worry about temperament first, color later.
Tip #2, check out shelter or rescue adoption options first, if you're not planning for a show dog. Better to save one that needs it, instead of contributing to the problem by supporting a byb.
Tip #3, get a crate. Crate training is a life saver with any puppy.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Vkowefek

how old are you? not being offensive just asking ..

Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Kiliunjubl

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Thanks for the tips! Im really picky about my dog so I either want a tanish coat with a white belly or gray coat with white belly. Ill probably go to a rescue 1st but if they dont have one i like then of course i am not going to take it

Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Vkowefek

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Thanks for the tips! Im really picky about my dog so I either want a tanish coat with a white belly or gray coat with white belly. Ill probably go to a rescue 1st but if they dont have one i like then of course i am not going to take it
coat colors, big heads or short stocky legs don't make the dog friend. If you want to pursue and find the right dog you have to do research. What state do you live in? I'll check the shelter sites for you to see if there is anything you'd like. My brother rescued a blue pit mix and she is a freaking doll, I would steal her in a heart beat. She is the best dog ever and she was thrown out in the street, luckily my brother adopted her and gave her a place to call home.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Kiliunjubl

coat colors, big heads or short stocky legs don't make the dog friend. If you want to pursue and find the right dog you have to do research. What state do you live in? I'll check the shelter sites for you to see if there is anything you'd like. My brother rescued a blue pit mix and she is a freaking doll, I would steal her in a heart beat. She is the best dog ever and she was thrown out in the street, luckily my brother adopted her and gave her a place to call home.
I already checked the shelter and I am going to check out 2 that I liked. Congrads to your brother! I hope he's enjoying his pit!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Seiblybiozy

Blue dogs are prone to skin problems. At least I see a lot of post about this around PBC. Skin problems ... always seems to be a blue dog ... sometimes a white dog.

Don't shop for color. For a dog that's going to be with you for the next 12-20 (optimistic LOL) years, color should be the last thing to worry about. I would want to know the sire and dams temperament if buying a pup and interact for a period of time with a dog I think I like, if acquiring a young dog. Color be damned LOL.

The first thing you should do when getting a pup is take it to a vet. The vet will outline a course of puppy shots. Expect to take the pup back to the vet for shots every 3-4 weeks until the pup is 14-16 weeks old and the puppy shot series is complete. ALSO, discuss heartworm prevention and parasite protection/prevention. I use Trifexis but other medications may be more appropriate depending on geographical location and types of parasites common to the area.

As far as training, if the pup will be a house dog and live inside most of the time, it would behoove you to start research NOW on how to house break a puppy. There are MANY ideas about this and whichever method you choose, remember that patience, persistence and consistency is the only way to go. Regardless of the training method used, THERE WILL BE ACCIDENTS. So, DO NOT hit (even with a newspaper), kick, strike, yell at or curse your pup. The fault is with YOU and not the pup ... adjust your methods accordingly. It may mean taking the pup out more often.

A general rule of thumb is that a pup can "hold it" for 1 hour ... for each month of age the pup is, PLUS 1 hour, EXAMPLE: An 8 week (2 month) old pup can reasonably be expected to hold it for 3 hours. When house training my pups, I set my alarm clock when I go to bed, to go off after 3 hours. When the alarm goes off, I pick the pup up and take it to an area previously used outside. The pup generally "goes" right away. I HIGHLY praise the pup, pick it up and return inside to await the alarm in another 3 hours LOL.

Welcome !!! And whatever your choice for new best friend ... Good Luck !!!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Vkowefek

what state are you from?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Figelac

Where are you located? There are plenty of good Bully Breed rescues around. Many will have puppies when they take in moms and pups from shelters. This one is Kansas/Mid America area and they seem reputable.

http://mabbr.org/adoptable-dogs/

And they've got a blue puppy and a few fawn puppies. They might all be from the same litter? I'm not sure. I know they just recently rescued a momma and her pups.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Kiliunjubl

Blue dogs are prone to skin problems. At least I see a lot of post about this around PBC. Skin problems ... always seems to be a blue dog ... sometimes a white dog.

Don't shop for color. For a dog that's going to be with you for the next 12-20 (optimistic LOL) years, color should be the last thing to worry about. I would want to know the sire and dams temperament if buying a pup and interact for a period of time with a dog I think I like, if acquiring a young dog. Color be damned LOL.

The first thing you should do when getting a pup is take it to a vet. The vet will outline a course of puppy shots. Expect to take the pup back to the vet for shots every 3-4 weeks until the pup is 14-16 weeks old and the puppy shot series is complete. ALSO, discuss heartworm prevention and parasite protection/prevention. I use Trifexis but other medications may be more appropriate depending on geographical location and types of parasites common to the area.

As far as training, if the pup will be a house dog and live inside most of the time, it would behoove you to start research NOW on how to house break a puppy. There are MANY ideas about this and whichever method you choose, remember that patience, persistence and consistency is the only way to go. Regardless of the training method used, THERE WILL BE ACCIDENTS. So, DO NOT hit (even with a newspaper), kick, strike, yell at or curse your pup. The fault is with YOU and not the pup ... adjust your methods accordingly. It may mean taking the pup out more often.

A general rule of thumb is that a pup can "hold it" for 1 hour ... for each month of age the pup is, PLUS 1 hour, EXAMPLE: An 8 week (2 month) old pup can reasonably be expected to hold it for 3 hours. When house training my pups, I set my alarm clock when I go to bed, to go off after 3 hours. When the alarm goes off, I pick the pup up and take it to an area previously used outside. The pup generally "goes" right away. I HIGHLY praise the pup, pick it up and return inside to await the alarm in another 3 hours LOL.

Welcome !!! And whatever your choice for new best friend ... Good Luck !!!
Haha thanks for the help! Im not going to shop my color but I guess I should of worded it diffrent. I PERFER that color but I agree what you guys are saying about color being last.

But no i wouldnt hit my dog for using the bathroom. I'm just asking of ways of traning it that way as it gets older it will have less and less "accidents"

I live in the Bronx, New York

Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Vkowefek

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?...tsearch=Search

Here is a few puppies I found in your state

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22148800

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22563244

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22626947

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22626972

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22626886

Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Kiliunjubl

Wow thanks man, i appreciate your help!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Seiblybiozy

One other thing, be sure to continue feeding your new pup or dog whatever it is used to eating.
If you are not comfortable feeding what it's used to, change to the food you prefer very gradually to avoid the possibility of stomach upsets and/or diarrhea. Start by mixing the new food in with the old at a ratio of 3 parts old to 1 part new/preferred, for a couple/several days depending on how it affects the pups poop, then up it to half and half for a couple/few more days ... three-quarters ... and then should be good to go if the new preferred food is a good quality food.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Vkowefek

there is a ton of 8 week old puppies the one brindle pup looks like a keeper !!!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
BeksTeene

just needed to second this. Please please please go to a shelter. And think about older dogs. Mine was 1 year old when I adopted her and I didn't have to deal with all of those pesky puppy issues like housetraining and biting. She's the best dog in the world. Of course I might be a tad biased.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
ThisIsOK

I agree with McRose and everyone else that you should really look into a shelter dog and maybe an older dog. I got Bonnie when she was about 3. She was already housetrained and knew quite a few tricks. She's a wonderful dog and a great friend.

You could save a dog's life and get a great dog at the same time!!

Reply to Thread New Thread