LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
i6mbwwdh

Default It finally happened....first run in
In PetSmart today looking for a short leash for Ceasar and this lady, her two kids and poodle turn on the aisle. She immediately ushers them the other way!!!
As if my little 25 lb puppy was a dangerous creature. I knew this day was coming, I didn't think it would anger me as much as it did. I, surprisingly, kept my
composure and did not say anything to her....

Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
investor

Yup, that's how it goes. It's sad, but I rather prefer THOSE people than the ones who try to let their dogs get in my dog's face.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
i6mbwwdh

So far my dog has no issues with other dogs. I know with maturity that may change. The worst he will do now is lick them to death... He fell head over heels for this little Yorkie we met at the vet a few weeks ago..

Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
lierro

Well, the Poodle may be dog aggressive and she was protecting her dog ... and yours

Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
i6mbwwdh

No, thanks for the effort though. She made it very clear through her body language that she wanted to avoid my pup at all cost...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
investor

So far my dog has no issues with other dogs. I know with maturity that may change. The worst he will do now is lick them to death... He fell head over heels for this little Yorkie we met at the vet a few weeks ago..

Even with my dog-friendly saluki, I don't like random dogs coming up to mine. I know it's paranoid, and I really don't have any rock solid reasoning for it haha I DO let my saluki meet other dogs sometimes, though... but not often.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
lierro

No, thanks for the effort though. She made it very clear through her body language that she wanted to avoid my pup at all cost...
Okay ... If I had been there with my dog(s) perhaps I would have wanted to avoid strange dogs at all costs too. Did you see the woman socializing her dog with other dogs ... just not yours?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
Erossycuc

its gonna happen to you a few more times for sure. i also rather they just go away because cali is DA. i hate poeple who have dogs and think its ok to approach any dog with theres so they can sniff each other happily. :/ it also avoids cali growling and scaring the people even more about pitbulls.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
Abanijo

Stay out of PetSmart and things like that wouldn't happen.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #10
antipenq

Well, the Poodle may be dog aggressive and she was protecting her dog ... and yours
That's what I was going to say.
At a recent agility trial, I was parked next to a gal with a poodle. She commented on how sweet Rosie was and said it's a shame Pit Bulls have such a bad rap. I said something about her poodle, and she said it was vicious, but she owned him and had to deal with it.
I've noticed at trials that there are several nasty poodles.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Ervins Dervish

I was just at Pet Supplies and had a similar incident. Only I was the tard. I was standing outside with Ike chatting with another AB owner. People kept coming up and asking to pet him, so he was thrilled. He is also very dog friendly and thinks every dog is his new best friend 9except my brothers male...one fight over a year ago and now they HATE each other). Anyways, another guy came by with his Lab mix on a leash and made a wide circle around us while glaring. So I said "It's ok, he's very friendly" and got only another glare in response. On their way out the woman with him stopped and said it was nothing against me or my dog, but that her dog was not friendly and her husband gets annoyed by it and by people with other dogs being there when he comes with his.....Hmmm, maybe they shouldn't take the dog to a pet store where other dogs are going to be then? Just a thought.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
bonyclayd

I wouldn't call someone with a dog walking in the opposite direction as you as someone who's scared of your dog.

For example, my gf and I literally lived 2 blocks away from each other for 2 years before we knew each other. We apparently walked our dogs around the same time each day, within 2 blocks of each other, but we both made such as habit of avoiding other dogs that we never even noticed each other.

You also mentioned she had kids. Perhaps she knows that her kids are dumb and will just run up to any dog they see and so, to avoid that situation, where she would have to control her dog AND her children, she ushered them away.

IDK. Honestly, I don't approach strange dogs, with or without a dog of my own. I don't know them, and I don't know their owners. It seems pit bull people try to make it sound like everyone who avoids their dog is scared of their dog, when, in reality, a lot of people just don't like strange dogs. In fact, there are a lot of people like me who couldn't give 2 shits about other people's dogs, and honestly, when I see a pit bull, the last thing I want to do is approach the dog and talk to the person about their "pure bred red nose american pit, different from their blue nose pit at home that is going to be the papa of the babies", which is basically how most of my 'pit bull' encounters go. In reality, I'm avoiding the people .

And let's not make this into a poodle bashing thread, as people who own a breed that gets routinely bashed for the actions of a few, it's a bit hypocritical. Thanks .

Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
NewYorkDoctorD

In PetSmart today looking for a short leash for Ceasar and this lady, her two kids and poodle turn on the aisle. She immediately ushers them the other way!!!
As if my little 25 lb puppy was a dangerous creature. I knew this day was coming, I didn't think it would anger me as much as it did. I, surprisingly, kept my
composure and did not say anything to her....
And the problem was?????? When I read the title of this thread I thought I was going to read about your dog getting into a scuffle with another dog. I don't understand why some pit bull owners get so offended when people cross the street or go in the opposite direction when they see a pit bull. I have said it before I LOVE IT! It means less potential problems for me. You have to grow a thick skin when you own this breed. Something as small as this is no reason to get out of sorts.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
23InetrySypekek

Actually the other dog owner was probably very breed savy and knew enough to keep her dog away from a breed of dog known for dog aggression. She just avoided a potential problem for herself and you. You should be grateful. Unless of course you are one of those "my pitty poo is the friendliest dog on earth" types. Be thankful some people out there get it. It is far worse when they want their dog to meet and greet yours without asking if you dog is dog friendly first.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
lierro

You guys say it way better than what I was trying to get at LOL
I wouldn't have been offended or upset at all HA !!!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #16
investor

Actually the other dog owner was probably very breed savy and knew enough to keep her dog away from a breed of dog known for dog aggression.

I think, for the first time, I am going to disagree with you lol. There just aren't enough breed-savvy people out there (including people who OWN the breed) for me to believe this one. But, that's just my pessimistic, cynical self speaking

I agree with the rest of your post, though!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
tobia

I get relieved whenever people do that too. Saves me worrying if they are going to keep their dog under control or let it run to to my dogs willy nilly. I don't shop at any of the big pet stores and have actually stopped taking my dogs into random pet stores because employees lure my dogs out of their position and encourage ill behavior with treats they aren't even supposed to have and will make them sick. Despite me saying hey please don't do that. Kinda sucks because its a good distraction proofing environment.

On walks on busy pathways I usually pull over and have them sit or down respectively and it cracks me up how people seem to think that my dogs are vicious because they aren't lunging around like a dumb lab on the end of the leash. Really guys? People are such idiots, I don't understand how they percieve an ill behaved, overexhuberant dog as more "friendly" than actually friendly and polite dogs. Just boggles me.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #18
SarSerceSaice

I'd rather people like that just leave me alone anyway LOL!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
i6mbwwdh

Thanks all...I feel better now...Went to the park today and this toddler asked to pet him...Parents encouraged it and even joined in...Just what I needed...This is my first dog...So the good, bad and ugly are all new to me...Guess I will have to suck it up and adjust..

Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #20
antipenq

I guess I've got it good around here. I have a lot of people that want to pet my dogs, but MOST of them ask first.
I was walking all 3 of them a couple days ago, when a car stopped at a stop sign. The window rolls down and the mom made a comment about how cute their coats were (it was COLD) and said how much she liked Pits, then asked how old Frankie was. We chatted for a minute & I told her they were all rescues. Her daugher (about 15) asked if she could come pet them. She helps out at the shelter sometimes and loves Pits. She came over and pet & talked to all 3 dogs for a minute, they thanked me for saving rescues, and drove off.

Reply to Thread New Thread