LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Rellshare

Default Funny frustration?
I started out with 2 dogs and a crate. Ike was the problem child, so he got crated. Then Rita randomly ate a couch cushion, lost my trust, and I bought another crate.

Then Owen came along and he got a crate of his very own. When he started to outgrow it (damn dog, I bought it before we picked him up with adult Basset measurements in mind, but he's a tad bigger than average in length) I bought a bigger crate, moved Rita to Ike's old crate, Owen to Rita's old crate and let Ike have house privledges because he became a saint overnight and stuck with it.

That's when I started feeding in crates because I needed to know who was eating what and if one dog doesn't eat, the others will polish off the food.

Enter Renee. She got Owen's old crate and life was good. All the dogs went into crates on command and would sit there watching and waiting for me to insert food bowls.

But Renee outgrew her crate, so I found another XL crate on CL and retired the smallest crate to storage. I moved Rita to the middle in an XL crate, Owen to the far right end in an XL crate and Renee to the far left end in a L crate, that way the two intact dogs are separated.

This makes bedtime and feeding time a frustrating exercise in dog stupidity. Even with their blankets in the proper crates and me there to indicate for each dog which crate I want it in, I get game of musical crates for moron dogs! Rita and Owen in the middle. Renee and Owen or Rita in the smaller crate. Rita, Owen, and Renee in an XL together and various combinations thereof.

I know they will learn, but Dear God..when?!?!? We do this 3 times a day. 2x for meals and 1x for bed. You'd think after about a week they'd start to figure it out. Yeesh.

If it wasn't so funny when they rush to the crates and traffic jam into them in various combinations, I'd be a raving loon, but its funny enough to watch that I lol and try again. After 15 mins or so, they end up in the proper crate and get fed or put to sleep for the night.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Gerribase

I can just see the circus that you are describing! It will come, I'm sure...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
sigrekatonov

This needs a video! I can only imagine!

I get game of musical crates for moron dogs! This just cracked me up.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Zugaxxsn

I'd love to see the traffic jams in front of the crates - too cute.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
draigenia

This needs a video! I can only imagine!

This just cracked me up.
I agree - the image in my head is amusing, I'm sure the real thing would be a riot!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Rellshare

I'll try to get video. I have a semi-crappy camera, but I'll try.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
diemeareendup

I think that sounds adorable lol

Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
BruceCroucshs

x3 on video. I want to see this!

I thought only my dopes went into crates together. Carter is in between crate sizes so we opted for the bigger one for him. Some days Bentley will go in to see what it's like. Then Carter will follow him so you have a 60lb dog and a 70lb dog in the same crate facing each other and looking around like 'what's the problem?'

Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
ffflyer

I can relate. I can fit three dogs in a medium sized cage. The weight of the dogs are roughly 25 pounds for Miss D, 25 pounds for Pezz and roughly 65-70 pounds for Onyx. It's hilarious.

I wish I had pictures. It's like a clown car for dogs

Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
Rellshare

x3 on video. I want to see this!

I thought only my dopes went into crates together. Carter is in between crate sizes so we opted for the bigger one for him. Some days Bentley will go in to see what it's like. Then Carter will follow him so you have a 60lb dog and a 70lb dog in the same crate facing each other and looking around like 'what's the problem?'
I've had Rita, Owen and Renee go into the XL crate together frequently because that is where they take things they know they aren't supposed to have like underwear or socks. I always know they're up to something when there is more than one dog in a crate outside of dinner or bed time. I go take away the contraband and get 3 smooshed in dogs giving me the " Meanie!" look.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
BruceCroucshs

I've had Rita, Owen and Renee go into the XL crate together frequently because that is where they take things they know they aren't supposed to have like underwear or socks. I always know they're up to something when there is more than one dog in a crate outside of dinner or bed time. I go take away the contraband and get 3 smooshed in dogs giving me the " Meanie!" look.
Hahahaha I love our dogs with their quirks.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #12
googlopharm

Poor dogs. I got dizzy myself just reading about the crates. I would probably go crazy trying to figure out myself who goes in what crate. Would be a sight to behold, I'm picturing an image of the 3 stooges running into each other trying to find their place.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
sEe

LOL! We most certainly need video of this spectacle!

I haven't had crates inside for a few months now, since it was too hot to have the dogs indoors. When I did have crates, Jolene was on the left and Ruger was on the right.

Last week, I brought the crates back in (after the mutt in my yard incident) and put them in a different room in no particular order - except I had in my mind which dog would go where (and it was Ruger on the left and Jolene on the right). I let them in, told them to crate... and the both instantly ran to the crates I wanted them to be in! Sometimes, my dogs are awesome lol

Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #14
MannyLopez

They almost have you trained MJ ... they just need to work with you a little more
They're smart ... they know how to get extra attention HA !!!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #15
Rellshare

Poor dogs. I got dizzy myself just reading about the crates. I would probably go crazy trying to figure out myself who goes in what crate. Would be a sight to behold, I'm picturing an image of the 3 stooges running into each other trying to find their place.
I thought having their own blanket with their scent on it and me pointing would help. Apparently, not.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

They almost have you trained MJ ... they just need to work with you a little more
They're smart ... they know how to get extra attention HA !!!
Bah, they don't need to get attention that way. I am here all day with them and they get plenty! Plus, they have me trained in other ways. Just ask Ike about butt scratching. He walks up, barks, turns so his butt bumps my leg and I instinctively start scratchin.

I got some video tonight, but it came out very dark and you can hardly see. I'll get some video tomorrow and remember to turn the light above the crates on first ><

Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #16
googlopharm

Just ask Ike about butt scratching. He walks up, barks, turns so his butt bumps my leg and I instinctively start scratchin.
Mines does the same thing. He doesn't bark though, he just shoves his butt against me. He has an expression of bliss on his face when I scratch him.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
U5pz6B71

The crate shuffle. There's always some hoopla. I've moved crates around for various reason's and I've wound up sticking a dog in a crate forgetting another dog is in there. I did it with Deeohgee and CoCo once and they HATE each other. They were so bloody shocked, they just sat there all confused waiting for me to remedy the situation.

Then you get Tank, who HAS to jam his fat ass in the puppy crate the second he's out. If I don't close the door immediately, it will be a freakshow of trying to get Tank to back out of the kennel without turning around and getting himself stuck. I'm pretty sure none of them are functioning on a full deck.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
Rellshare

Mines does the same thing. He doesn't bark though, he just shoves his butt against me. He has an expression of bliss on his face when I scratch him.
Ike bends in half, while still standing, with the blissful expression.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

The crate shuffle. There's always some hoopla. I've moved crates around for various reason's and I've wound up sticking a dog in a crate forgetting another dog is in there. I did it with Deeohgee and CoCo once and they HATE each other. They were so bloody shocked, they just sat there all confused waiting for me to remedy the situation.

Then you get Tank, who HAS to jam his fat ass in the puppy crate the second he's out. If I don't close the door immediately, it will be a freakshow of trying to get Tank to back out of the kennel without turning around and getting himself stuck. I'm pretty sure none of them are functioning on a full deck.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
BruceCroucshs

Just ask Ike about butt scratching. He walks up, barks, turns so his butt bumps my leg and I instinctively start scratchin.
Bentley will bump into you with his head and then slowly move away so that your hand is scratching his butt. Then he turns around while you're scratching and licks your hand.. Then repeat with the head first.

If you shove him in circles fast enough, it'll turn into him chasing his tail or spinning in the middle of the room by himself.

Reply to Thread New Thread