LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
__CVineXPharm__

Sprinting up hills is always good, easy on me too. I stand at the top & throw the stick down for 20 minutes as a warm up then we hit the river for 40 minutes, swimming & climbing. Then it's golf ball for dessert.

This thread has got me thinking about muscle types in dogs, oxygen debt & stuff like that. Anybody have any info?
I throw the ball up the hill for him but I use a chuck it. He brings it back damn near as fast as he goes after it LOL

Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #22
EzequielTMann

I wish I had room out here but PHX is so over crowded right now, I cant let my dog off lead unless we are at the fenced in park..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #23
leareliovag

Hmmn I never really paid attention to how long it takes eagle to pant... next time we go bike riding ill check it out... speaking of bike riding yay or nay to 2 dogs on a walky dog?

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

I wish I had room out here but PHX is so over crowded right now, I cant let my dog off lead unless we are at the fenced in park..
I feel your pain on that.. its tough finding places I can let Eagle off lead in the city

Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #24
Kimaamighed

Hmmn I never really paid attention to how long it takes eagle to pant... next time we go bike riding ill check it out... speaking of bike riding yay or nay to 2 dogs on a walky dog?

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

I feel your pain on that.. its tough finding places I can let Eagle off lead in the city
i went to the farm today and boe went swimming, and ran around for hours.....its good to live in the country

Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #25
EzequielTMann

I used to run my dog next to me on the bike she was really good at it and I would just stick the handle bar in he hand hole on the leash.

I found this cool "dog park" but there is never anyone there and thats where we take Bear for a good romp, going to start teaching him recalls there.
There arent any distractions its in hole next to train tracks.

Or he comes with us everywhere and he just got to go to my brothers and play with their GSD/pit/lab pup and a Am.Bulldog/pit in the garage and yard.
He enjoys that alot and is crashed on the couch right now

Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
leareliovag

i went to the farm today and boe went swimming, and ran around for hours.....its good to live in the country
Sheesh just throw it in our faces lol

Old 03-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #27
illetrygrargo

Sheesh just throw it in our faces lol
No doubt, eh?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #28
seatlyled

hahaha, the dog she is sitting on, is praying that if she lets winds, it is a good wind One of my pups, whom my bro in law has never ever pants either~weird!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #29
infelconi

I can't wait to move 20min. down the road to NC so I can have like.. no neighbors.

Til then, I have a 50+ acre park where there is never anyone there to take the dogs to.. it's amazing.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #30
Adiamant

Panting has nothing to do with a dogs wind or stamina. Panting is a dogs version of sweating as they have no sweat glands in their bodies except for in their feet, and almost all cooling is done via the mouth through the bloodstream internally. The way a dog cools his body is by panting. On a hot day a dog with great stamina will pant just from the heat.

Men sweat more than women, I read that this is because men have more muscle mass and typically require more sweating which is the body's way of cooling itself. The better a body cools itself the better it can perform in high stress, high energy, and high heat activities.

It only goes to reason the more readily a dog pants the more efficiently it can cool itself. The panting has no relation to a dogs stamina, the sooner he pants the sooner he begins cooling his body, the longer he pants after an activity has a lot to do with the temperature and the time it takes his body to cool down. As his panting slows his body temperature is returning to normal levels. The minute a dog begins to exert himself his breathing and panting increase to counteract the heat generated as his body and muscles warm.

The bottom line is panting is really not related to a dogs ability to perform physically other that how it relates to dissipating heat. Your dog is not breathing hard as does a human when his cardio vascular and pulmonary system is being stressed. He is cooling himself. A marathon runner will sweat profusely while barely breathing hard, where a dog will breath hard or pant just from temperature with no exertion what so ever.

Judging your dogs conditioning by how he pants is not a good idea. If you're riding a bike don't judge by the panting judge by the distance he goes without slowing or stopping.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #31
JohnfAclambrJA

After reading all the replies and itching to respond, athiest said it all....

When people refer to good wind though, I believe they are often times referring to how long it takes a dog to hit the "heat wall". This is the point where they are just too hot and need to cool down and their performance suffers because of the need to cool off. The best way I can imagine to measure true wind of a dog would be to put it in a nice cold climate and have it sprint as long as it possibly can.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #32
__CVineXPharm__

After reading all the replies and itching to respond, athiest said it all....
No actually he/she didn't. A dog that runs hot sooner rather than later is NOT conditioned properly. So while I would never gauge wind solely on how quick a dog pants, it is relative to the conversation and definitely a factor.

On another note, coming on here telling people to put your dog in the box is simply fucking retarded.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #33
Timoxari

Panting has nothing to do with a dogs wind or stamina. Panting is a dogs version of sweating as they have no sweat glands in their bodies except for in their feet, and almost all cooling is done via the mouth through the bloodstream internally. The way a dog cools his body is by panting. On a hot day a dog with great stamina will pant just from the heat.

Men sweat more than women, I read that this is because men have more muscle mass and typically require more sweating which is the body's way of cooling itself. The better a body cools itself the better it can perform in high stress, high energy, and high heat activities.

It only goes to reason the more readily a dog pants the more efficiently it can cool itself. The panting has no relation to a dogs stamina, the sooner he pants the sooner he begins cooling his body, the longer he pants after an activity has a lot to do with the temperature and the time it takes his body to cool down. As his panting slows his body temperature is returning to normal levels. The minute a dog begins to exert himself his breathing and panting increase to counteract the heat generated as his body and muscles warm.

The bottom line is panting is really not related to a dogs ability to perform physically other that how it relates to dissipating heat. Your dog is not breathing hard as does a human when his cardio vascular and pulmonary system is being stressed. He is cooling himself. A marathon runner will sweat profusely while barely breathing hard, where a dog will breath hard or pant just from temperature with no exertion what so ever.

Judging your dogs conditioning by how he pants is not a good idea. If you're riding a bike don't judge by the panting judge by the distance he goes without slowing or stopping.
Certainly agree with your statements here, as I have noticed with my girl panting itself has not resorted her to slow down or stop working.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #34
Kimaamighed

I can't wait to move 20min. down the road to NC so I can have like.. no neighbors.

Til then, I have a 50+ acre park where there is never anyone there to take the dogs to.. it's amazing.
my farm is 367 acers hehe..wish u guys could come down and run ur dogs they would have a blast!!!

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Close

Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #35
Timoxari

my farm is 367 acers hehe..wish u guys could come down and run ur dogs they would have a blast!!!

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Close
dude that's nice it reminds me of prunedale which is a farming community/town about 10 minutes away from my location.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #36
Kimaamighed

thank you, i took that pic in November, ill post new pics, every thing is getting green.. its very pretty in the spring!!

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

all of its mine, as far as u can see to the tops of the mountain.. the pic is just half the farm theirs way more!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #37
Adiamant

How soon a dog begins panting is more a function of the temperature combined with the level of exertion and really has nothing to do with a dogs conditioning. Many athletes purposely break a sweat before competition begins just to ensure they are ready and cooling efficiently, when your dog gets warm he begins to pant, how long that takes has nothing to do with his level of conditioning and many fitness experts claim the faster a body begins cooling the better it is for performance. I have seen many a thorough bred horse race and I certainly would not place my bet on a cold dry horse with no signs of pre-race sweating. Yes horses sweat, dogs don't. Also dogs sometimes pant with excitement or eagerness. Maybe a panting dog before a run is a sign the dog is eager to run, which I would take as a good one

Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #38
18holesin

No actually he/she didn't. A dog that runs hot sooner rather than later is NOT conditioned properly. So while I would never gauge wind solely on how quick a dog pants, it is relative to the conversation and definitely a factor. I agree...When I first started working Nikki she would pant and foam at the mouth within 15 min or so, I kept notes on this and the activities we were doing after three months of working and we are talking summer so the further along we got the hotter it was getting, she could go longer periods. She loves to work be it flirt, spring or mill she will work til she lays down and still tries to get up. When we are done I literally have to hose her down and then walk her a good 25 mins to get her cooled down.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #39
elektikaka

imo measuring a dogs heart rate is an excellent way to figure if a dog has "wind" or not. get that heart rate up there, then see how long it takes a dog to fatigue.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #40
Adiamant

imo measuring a dogs heart rate is an excellent way to figure if a dog has "wind" or not. get that heart rate up there, then see how long it takes a dog to fatigue.
Now that is a real and verifiable method of testing a dogs endurance and stamina. The reason the dog uses panting as a way of regulating his temperature is that the dogs highest concentration of surface blood vessels are in the tongue, mouth and nose area. The faster he exchanges outside air over that area, the less that air is warmed by his body, and the more efficient it cools the blood in those areas. Deep breaths mean the air stays in the body longer and is warmer as it passes over the mouth, short panting breaths keep the supply of air in the mouth area fresher, and therefore cooler. That is not opinion, or guesswork, it is biological science.

Reply to Thread New Thread