LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Imalaycle

Default New Family Member
Hi all, Yesterday my husband surprised me and himself with a 2 yr old blue heeler mix.His name is Max. So far so good with him and Odie. Max has snapped at Odie but Odie just ignored it. So good boy Odie. My husband won't admit it but he loves blue heelers, and it was his idea. We are getting max fixed this week. As you all know 2 male dogs intact isn't always the best idea. But Odie is really good with other dogs when they are in my home. But I got my breaksticks ready for anything that may happen. He's the only pic of max so far.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
sFs4aOok

Congrats and best of luck with them. I had Titus and Maxx together and they never had any problems, but Maxx was older and Titus came when he was a puppy and grew up with him. I still think Titus misses Maxx being around. They always went out together and got along wonderfully.

We had a Blue Heeler for a short time when my daughter brought one home that had been dumped. Once it started herding the other dogs, and then nipping at my trying to herd me , I knew it was time for her to find a working home. I placed her with a great family that wanted a Heeler for their farm.

Just as with the bully breeds, it takes a home with knowledge of Heelers to make it a good fit, and I clearly knew nothing about Heelers other than they herd... everything!

He's a cutie, can't wait to see more pictures of him.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Imalaycle

Thanks Mollie's Nana! So far he has decided he is the big dog over Odie. We did get a scuffle last night but Max was the only attacker. Odie didn't bite just kept bouncing back away from him. Odie leaves Max alone and Max just gives that herding dog stare and Odie's like OK. I'm shocked how quickly Odie has changed with Max here. Odie will go from zoomies to Max sneaking his way toward him and stop because Max just gave him the look. Wish I could've got to the vet sooner but that was their only opening in a week. And I'm not complaining about the price either. I wish more towns had places like ours where it's cheaper than the SPCA.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
TheBest-Host

Wow! Your Max looks almost like our Bear-Bart! (He is still a pup in this pic)

The vet told us Bear-Bart was a Texas Heeler (Blue Heeler x Aussie) but I have always wondered he he was Blue Heeler x Border Collie. Bear-Bart does not do the BC stare, but he does have a very strong chase/herd instinct. He will chase anything from kids to cats to cars. He is also highly DA.

Blessings ...

Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Imalaycle

Max does the cattle dog stare. He watches Odie in the yard and if Odie runs he just slowly stares and slowly walks toward Odie. Max may well be one I saw several pics of them but I think he's a mini he's only below my knee. It's wierd how he has this presence.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
TheBest-Host

Bear-Bart is the exact opposite! He will not stare or stalk at all. If a dog runs he goes ape crazy trying to chase them & barking. If he can get to them & it is a dog close to his size, he will run them down, get them by the ear, throw them & pin them. Small dogs he heels by chasing & nipping at their feet/backside. This of course does not go over well with our APBTs so he is kept far, far away from them!

Blessings ...

Reply to Thread New Thread