LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
TolleyBoymn

Default Dog's age..
Is there anyway someone can really determine the real age of a dog accurately?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
wasssallx

I've heard vets can do it by a dog's teeth.

Though, I honestly don't know how accurate it is. I've got a 3-year-old pit bull and a 3-year-old Border Collie. The Border Collie's teeth are filed down quite a bit. He likes to chew on rocks when he's on his chain. Both dogs are about the same age, but the pit bull's teeth are in better shape (aside from the fact that she looks like she needs braces with the small bottom teeth).

Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
nizcreare

Just like the breed, when someone asks what kind of dog they have. Unless you bred the dog yourself or you got it directly from the breeder, no one can look at a dog and tell exactly how old they are. They can give you an average of weeks, months to years but that's about it. Depending on what baby teeth they have and or don't have. How worn the teeth are and or how much discoloration they have. With discoloration I mean plaque build up, the average dogs teeth are pretty much white up until around 3 yrs. Then stains and plaque starts to build up but all in all its just an average like 3-6 mths or a guesstimate.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
constanyiskancho

Impossible to know exactly. When I got Cooper, the vet said he was about 4 yrs old based on his teeth.... however, since I've had him, his teeth have gotten a lot better looking, and now, he hardly has any tarter on them at all. So he may actually be younger than we first thought.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
EjPWyPm4

My vet always said teeth.

I've also known people to guess by how much grey or white fur they have. But then again Lucy's 2 and she's already got an old dog grey beard.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
avaicavum

Vets usually check eyes and teeth for an age.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
bugagasikaga

When we rescued our Cooper, the rescue thought he was 1-2 years old, he was small, quite a bit smaller than he is now we were certain he was younger. When we took him to get a check-up and make sure (the shelter's around here are... well they aren't great) he was up to date on everything and all set our vet thought he was around 9 months old, so we stick with that. I say when people ask he's about a year old, a little over.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
ElcinBoris

vets will check teeth and eyes for an age, but it is an estimate, there is no telling for sure unless you know when that dog was born.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
Aaron757

As said before vets usually check eyes and ears but you can never know for sure...
I hope my vet was right about Scruffys age, i'd hate to think she's any older than 9

Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
TolleyBoymn

Alright, here's the thing.. I was given a bitch. The person that gave me this dog is out of the game and that is his reason. This dog was blackmask up to her eyes.. but now.. you can see all more white than black. The person that gave me the dog was not the first owner and in his computation and information the dog is just turning 4 this year. But all my friend's are looking at like maybe 8 or 9 years old based on appearance.

The age is very vital in determining her career and plan for this dog. That's why I was wondering if there is really ways to do it accurately.

Here's her ped..
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...e&dog_id=77910

Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
EjPWyPm4

Alright, here's the thing.. I was given a bitch. The person that gave me this dog is out of the game and that is his reason. This dog was blackmask up to her eyes.. but now.. you can see all more white than black. The person that gave me the dog was not the first owner and in his computation and information the dog is just turning 4 this year. But all my friend's are looking at like maybe 8 or 9 years old based on appearance.

The age is very vital in determining her career and plan for this dog. That's why I was wondering if there is really ways to do it accurately.
Here's her ped..
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...e&dog_id=77910
And I want to say she's older because of what I've bolded, but, as I said, Lucy's only 2, and she's got the same thing going on.

But her ped was posted 7 years ago.... which makes me wonder.

Does she act like a young dog? Any difficulty laying down, standing up, doing anything athletic? Does she seem stiff?

Maybe blood work (or possibly x rays?) could give you an idea, based on how her's turns out (since things stop working as well as dogs get older, and I'm pretty sure a good vet may be able to tell the age of anything by it's bone density, size etc, maybe how old wounds may have healed?).

But then again, I'm guessing you guys (I hope that is!! jk) have been giving her excellent care, so she's probably as healthy as she was when she was young. It's worth a shot I guess. And yeah, I'm just kind of pulling things out of my ass, but that's the route I would take if I was that curious.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
HRS1H7gO

She has to be older than 4 bc her ped post date is 03. And its 2010 now so she probably is around 7. I am no expert on peds or anything but I am assuming that's ped can't be posted prior to the puppy actually being produced

Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
RooldpalApata

The age is very vital in determining her career and plan for this dog.
Why ?....if your thinking of opening the dog then put her through a keep and see how she responds.....same as people,your as old as you feel regardless of age.....

id be looking more at how she works,how she recovers from work,what shape she can be put in......in preference to how many years/months she has been alive

the whiteness on the face is probably mostly scarring and no indication of age like it would be with a non combat dog.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
TolleyBoymn

Why ?....if your thinking of opening the dog then put her through a keep and see how she responds.....same as people,your as old as you feel regardless of age.....

id be looking more at how she works,how she recovers from work,what shape she can be put in......in preference to how many years/months she has been alive

the whiteness on the face is probably mostly scarring and no indication of age like it would be with a non combat dog.
Yea this is true.. She actually move like 3 years. Although we still don't have enough proof on what is her real age.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
JohnMaltczevitch

My girl moves and acts like a pup. She started getting some grey at age 4, she'll be 6 in less than a week.

Like others have said, I'd just take her to the vet for an educated guesstimate (probably be almost accurate, give or take a year) and see how she does with exercise.

I'm thinking as with people, age is just a number-has more to do with genetics, physical activity and general health blah blah

Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
allvideO

Rain. Screw what people think. Your not in US. Your free to what is legal there.
HE is not in the U.S. This forum IS in the U.S. We have the right to get rid of talk regarding who's matching their dog into what other dog this weekend and whatnot.

Besides that, I smell bait.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
RooldpalApata

HE is not in the U.S. This forum IS in the U.S. We have the right to get rid of talk regarding who's matching their dog into what other dog this weekend and whatnot.

Besides that, I smell bait.
bait strange thing to say.....people take responsibility for their own actions whether on the internet or in the real world....if someone can be baited into hanging themself then maybe they shouldnt be on the internet....
ANY man who is breaking the laws for which his country can prosecute him should not be talking about it to any stranger internet or not.

as for whos forum and where........i guess that ones simply down to how much truth you want to accept and how much you want to brush under the carpet...only you moderators can know the answer to that one and you do as you see fit and thats how it should be....
personally i could never be a moderator as i cant run from the truth so a forum would be shut down in 5 minutes with me running it

Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 AM   #18
Stoniaanapy

I dont know, after being around numerous dogs ones entire life its kinda easy to guestimate a dogs age and be pretty damn accurate while doing it. Some dogs will age earlier or even later than normal, however in general they all tend to age around the same and that is the berometor that I use to determine a dogs age.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #19
TolleyBoymn

I dont know, after being around numerous dogs ones entire life its kinda easy to guestimate a dogs age and be pretty damn accurate while doing it. Some dogs will age earlier or even later than normal, however in general they all tend to age around the same and that is the berometor that I use to determine a dogs age.
My fellow dogmen guestimate (I like the word by the way) the dog to be 8-9 years of age. But sources said the dog is just 4yrs+. She moves in action like 4 yrs old.I'll agree with mr.clueless that it's not the age.. but how she moves should play a major factor in her future endeavors.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 AM   #20
Stoniaanapy

My fellow dogmen guestimate (I like the word by the way) the dog to be 8-9 years of age. But sources said the dog is just 4yrs+.
Again, if you have been around dogs for any real length of time you should already have an idea of how old she is. Age is just a number but the dog is still going to show signs of age via her body language or her mental demeanor, the dog will still show her age to you at some point and that is my point, you yourself should already know.

Reply to Thread New Thread