LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
nd90t3sf

Default Would a break stick be safe to use with a pit mix?
I was wondering if it would be safe to use a break stick on a pit mix.

The dog is a pit/boxer mix who belongs to a friend of mine. Recently he's been becoming DA (he's 3 now, so it's no surprise) towards the neighbor's American Bulldog on the other side of the fence.

I'd like to make a break stick a gift to them since I like to give useful gifts. But I was worried about if it would harm his jaw. He has more of a boxer jaw than a pit bull.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
ConoMadura

It depends on how the dog bites - if he snaps & releases repeadly while fighting (like most breeds) then I would Not use a breakstick, it could cause damage to the dog & the person would likely get bit. If he bites & holds- then yes.

If you are not sure what he might do then you could always make the breakstick & explain to them how & when to use it. I think it would be better for them to have 1 & not need it, then to need it & not have.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
TerriLS

I would definately as a precaution. Is he more of a boxer or bully breed?

You need to let them know how to use responsibly though. I would say if he is more boxer, I wouldn't do it since they have a smooshed in face and it can end up hurting the dog. Can you post a picture?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
asharbiq

I've had boxers (and boxer pit mixes) and they will also hold a bite once they get a hold. Wouldn't be a bad idea since I think the bulldog instincts will be in the drivers seat in a fight. Am bulldogs aren't punks either, you might need 2, lol.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
nd90t3sf

This is the best picture I can find. But since it was taken, he's developed more of a boxer jaw, with a shortish snout and a big underbite.

I'm not sure of how he bites, especially since he's been a big sissy until a few weeks ago.

He's half boxer half "pit bull".

Reply to Thread New Thread