LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
eEwbYjOH

Default Bandit was attacked..
BY FLEAS! I dont get it.. we've never had this problem before.. we put granules in the yard, our vet gives them frontline.. but I can not get rid of them! I asked our vet about it and he said that they must be getting them from somewhere. maybe our neighbors dog? but I dont see how, both her and us put the granules down at the same time (she hates fleas as much as I do).. we've never had this problem in the past.. well tonight, I decided enough - and I gave all the dogs a dip bath (I HATE doing that, but I got to do something).. but if they are getting it from somewhere, then they'll just be right back.. we also feed them garlic (not much, but some) youd think the combo of everything would work!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
neictscek

Have you bombed your house? They are probably in your house if the dogs have them.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
eEwbYjOH

Well we havent bombed the house but we do spray the furniture and vaccum the furniture (we have no carpet in the house).. we also do the same for the curtains, our beds, and their bedding..

Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
tearidrusydet

I had an outbreak once my vet said: Wash all of Bandits bedding, vacuum under all furniture and make sure u vacuum around baseboards and place debis in a plastic bag and send to trash. Also get indoor/outdoor spray and spray underneath furniture and around baseboards. retreat yard also.They like hiding in dark areas. Good Luck

Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Filling25

My sister in law had good results using *pardon the spelling, not quite sure*
Comfortis.

Some chewable flea pill

Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
eEwbYjOH

never heard of it.. might have to check into that.. Dont laugh at me lol, but for the first time in my life, I got in the shower and used flea shit in my hair.. lol I let Bandit sleep with me last night and my head itched like crazy.. Im sure it was just the knowing of the fleas, but I was not risking it!!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
neictscek

I know a lot of people who have had a lot of good luck with diatomaceous earth. It is a naturally occurring mineral that is used as an insecticide. It is safe for people and dogs. You can get it at a gardening center.

You can put it on the dogs, furniture, and yard.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
TerriLS

Ick fleas suck. I hope you're able to get rid of them!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
nd90t3sf

My favorite tool to combat fleas is Sentinel heart worm pills. It keeps fleas from breeding plus it's a heart worm pill. So the fleas just die off.

My dogs had fleas as pups, but since I put them on Sentinel, I've had no flea outbreaks, just the occasional flea.

My cat and ferrets also get an injection twice a year of basically the same stuff (vet calls it "the program"), and once again, no fleas.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
hexniks

I almost broke into a really long post for no reason.

Anywho- long story short- immuno-compromised animals will get fleas looonnggg before healthy animals. Fix the body and the parasites will leave.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #11
voksveta

Try I pill called Sentinel!! I give it to Cleo once a month and get it from her vet! She has NEVER had 1 flea EVER! *knock on wood* It is probably the most AMAZING flea and wormer pill on the market!!

Old 05-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #12
Sheelldaw

I have seen some flea cases so bad lately that the owners have had to use Frontline and Comfortis at the same time. Comfortis works great, the only downside is that it does not protect against ticks. The great thing about it though is less human error in administering it. Just make sure it gets in their stomach and then you are done. Simple!

Oh and I have seen too many dogs get fleas on Sentinel. They just get sterile fleas lol. We don't carry it at my clinic because we usually recommend adding another flea component anyways so we just carry Interceptor (much cheaper and its Sentinel without the Program flea component)

Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #13
nd90t3sf

Try I pill called Sentinel!! I give it to Cleo once a month and get it from her vet! She has NEVER had 1 flea EVER! *knock on wood* It is probably the most AMAZING flea and wormer pill on the market!!
I second that! It is truly the best. If I find a flea, I give a flea bath just in case, but I find one only when it gets cold and the little buggers decide it's time to go indoors.

Reply to Thread New Thread