LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
BaselBimbooooo

Default Exercise in bad weather?
What do you do with your dog when the weather sucks? I live in AZ and it gets REALLY hot here. We went for our normal walk yesterday and it was 75, starting to get warm but beautiful. I get migraines easily due to the heat so I normally just use the treadmill or do laps in the summer. However, now I have my boy. We go on 3 1/2 to 4 mile walks almost everyday. Today (80), we were half way and we got to a shady spot, he just plopped down. Now I am thinking maybe I won't need to worry so much but he still needs some exercise. He won't swim so I am thinking my only options are a spring and flirt pole and a treadmill??? Our friends have a puppy that was getting better at swimming at the end of last summer so I am hoping if Osiris sees it he may get excited and join in... Right now he will only get in the first step and lay down. We will hopefully get to the lake this summer and see if he does any better with that body of water.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
blackjackblax

I have the opposite problem over here. We got 40 inches of snow in less than a month! I have 2 dogs, so they wrestle and run around the house until they're worn out, then they nap, then they do it again. If that doesn't wear them out, it's tug o war time! They start with me, then they play with between themselves, then they want food.
They pretty much take care of themselves, so I guess I have it pretty easy.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
scoussysows

When I take Bubba out on hot days I usually drive him to the woods along the river. We play with a ball and/or toys on the beach. I carry a bag with water and a bowl, treats,and other supplies. He doesn't swim but he'll walk into the water and crouch down or lay in a couple inches of water and cools down when he gets hot. He takes breaks in the shade of the trees. I guess we're lucky we're near the river.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
BaselBimbooooo

So I should get another dog? LOL Happy it works out for you though!

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

When I take Bubba out on hot days I usually drive him to the woods along the river. We play with a ball and/or toys on the beach. I carry a bag with water and a bowl, treats,and other supplies. He doesn't swim but he'll walk into the water and crouch down or lay in a couple inches of water and cools down when he gets hot. He takes breaks in the shade of the trees. I guess we're lucky we're near the river.
I wish we were closer to a lake because that sounds great!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
scoussysows

Here's Bubba playing with his buddy,Bailey down the river.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
BaselBimbooooo

^ so cute! Wish there was somewhere close to me like that.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
HBPujWBe

There's a good sticky in the Health section about heat exhaustion:
Heat Exhaustion - Health Nutritional Care

It doesn't get too hot where we live but sometimes we go places where it can be a lot hotter (90-100° dry heat) so we always bring extra water and make sure to stop, rest and hydrate before any of us show obvious signs of being affected by the heat. My dog has mostly black fur too so she starts to cook relatively quickly in the sun. I bought a cooling bandana last year for my dog but haven't tried it yet – I want to say I have seen cooling jackets too but I may have been dreaming that (I can't stand really hot weather myself ).

Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
VIDEOHITE

It gets hot where I live, and very humid too. My dogs can't do much in the hot weather, especially my German Shepherd. I actually have to shave him and resort to swimming, and fetching indoors up and down the stairs for HOURS to keep him even partially satisfied (he's used to running about 9 miles in sand every other day + swimming + hill lunges with a weighted pack + hiking + everything else you can think of). You are lucky to have a treadmill. I'm living with my mother because I lost my job and she doesn't want to listen to a treadmill AT ALL. I really would like to get a nice carpet mill though, especially for my pit, but really for both of my dogs. If you figure out something, let me know! Alabama may not be as hot as Arizona, but it's so humid that the heat index goes beyond 100 degrees F, and that's just too much for us!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Nothatspecial

it gets super hot and humid here. We walk either super early in the morning or super late at night. Also look into a flirtpole and spring pole for some backyard fun. In the wintertime, I havew to confess that we do not do that much. Walk when it is nice and wrestling in house. It gets super cold here and my dogs are freezes baby. They only go outside to got potty and come in right away. You might want to look into some smart toys such as the bustercube where it will wear out their mind and those crappy days. You can always look into getting a treadmill.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
chechokancho

Usually we swim a lot when its super hot.

And yes I've been out in freaking blizzard conditions so the fluffy butt can run off some energy.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
iouiyyut

We have the same problem here in New Mexico--in the summer, the heat gets upwards of 100 degrees, easy. Right now I'm walking the dogs on my lunch break, which unfortunately is around 1pm...the hottest part of the day. It is only getting up to about 65 right now, but once it gets over 75 I'll start walking my dogs in the evenings and the mornings, when its cooler. If I lived more in town I'd probably just walk them after the sun went down, but that is pretty much suicide where I live!

As for hikes and such, they will have to wait for days I have off or at least start later in the day, so we can go when its still semi-cool out.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
Ruiptuptubre

i think im lucky 2 live in mexico city the weather is always warm and when rains i use the treadmill .

Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
we0MA4MI

Look around for trainers that have a dock diving set up. There's one near me that charges a small fee to use their pond, and offers training in dock diving.

Does your dog like water? Lucy hates it. Threw her in a lake once, and she swam far enough to get to the dock, then pulled herself to shore via the dock, and refused to go near the water. Probably not the best approach, but my Saint was all about the water when I threw her in (she loves that she can drink water and swim in it at the same time).

When it gets above 75, I walk in the evenings. Early evening for short haired dogs, and I walk my Saint when it's dark and the temp drops.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
Ifroham4

I walk and exercise my boy from the beautiful spring and the cool autumn temps to the extreme single digit temperature and stifling blizzard and through the triple digit summer heat and pelting rain storms. We're out there virtually everyday despite the weather. This tends to strengthen you physically and mentally as well as allowing you and your dog to build a stronger bond. Plus my dog loves the snow and rain He is my one and only training partner for the extreme athletes competition LOL. To be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way since he is the only training partner I need. Wish me luck in the upcoming NYC spartan race and my dog in the upcoming NYC PitBull Association working dogs event

Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Susanleech

You should have seen my pups when they saw their first snow Xmas day. They just tentatively put their paws on it and sniffed it, then walked very carefully, high-stepping and snuffling.

Reply to Thread New Thread