LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
royarnekara

Default what should I do? very long read!
yet another neighbour problem!

as I allready said, we live in a VERY calm street, not many houses (maybe about 10?) but we have some REALLY anoying neighbours!

so first, I'll start with the right side, it's the shortest story lol.
my dog suffers from severe serparation anxciety, I'm going to get him some herbal drugs that he can easely stay on his entire life, as the DAP didn't work (neither collar nor diffuser) and the behaviorist said it would drugs would probably be the only solution.
now in the meanwhile, I try as best as I can to NOT leave my dog alone in the house any longer than 4 hours a week so he won't get on the neighbour's nerves and not cause to much trouble

but the neighbours, ohh god!
they have this cocker spaniel, a great and nice dog, really, but that dog is SO getting on my nerves!
she also has seperation anxciety (but they won't do shit about it) and that dog is left alone for more than 8 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY and even more when they leave at night! (wich happens about 4 times a week)
so I'm being waken up by their dog crying as a maniak at 7 AM and she won't stop until they get home at 4 PM. I'm getting SICK of it!
we have talked to them, and they don't seem to care.. and I can't call cops on them, only if there dog is noisy after 10 PM plus, I would love to keep relations good with them as they are good friends of my mom... I don't know what to do!
the worst thing is, when I leave at night and I come back about an hour later, my mom is (or was) downstairs with all 3 dogs as she goes by "but the neighbours have young kids that go to sleep at 8 PM!"
so what? I sleep at 7 AM and it doesn't keep them from leaving their stupid dog alone! that's one of the reasons I have 4 padlocks on my crate now, so my mom won't be able to get him out as she is a VERY irresponsible owner and doesn't seem to care the dog is dominating her in any way... (jumps on her, lays on her in the couch, starts scuffles with the other dogs, etc etc)
(just needed to rant on this one!)

now the other neighbours! soooo sad for their dog!
they have this Malinois X GSD dog that's now about 12-13 years old, has allways been an outside dog. now mind you, I don't have any problems with outside dogs, as long as they get enough exersice, attention, food and sheltre, but that dog doesn't get ANY exersice nor attention other than from me.
he is left alone 24/7 wether it be raining, snowing or to hot outside.

last time, their dog got a hedgehog! the dog was literally SCREAMING from pain at 3 in the morning, and guess what?
I was the sucker who had to jump the fence and try to get the dog to let go of the hedgehog as he was tearing it apart (and the hedghog was also screaming from agony, poor thing )
finally, I got him to let go but the poor hedgehog was half dead, had to kill it with my bare hands as he was literally agonizing, skin ripped off on his entire back, nose ripped off and 3 legs missing. took a shovel and... urg, it kills me to tell this whole story, had to "cut" (can't find a better word) his head of by slamming it into his neck... (I'm in tears as I'm writing this)
after that, neighbours still didn't come outside altough I SCREAMED for them to get out! they just refused!
I spend 1 hours getting EVERY SINGLE spine out of that dogs mouth, he's a pretty HA dog so I took a huge risk not knowing how he would react to it (he's allways been a sweetheart with me, but tried to rip my other neighbours face of)
the dog was great! he whined the whole time, but seemed to know I was helping it.
took some antibiotics that I had left over in case my dog would get into a fight and didn't need any immediate vetcare, as I knew they would never take it to the vet... gave him an antibiotic shot and went back to sleep.
now the dog is suffering from severe hip displasia and they still don't give the dog any attention and seem to REFUSE to have it PTS altough he can't even walk properly, he can't lift his leg to pee, can't put his back down to take a shit, as I said, he can barely walk or get up.
I don't want to call the cops on them as my horse is now staying at a friend of them, and I have no money to put it elsewhere...
I'm just sick of seeing that dog in such a bad condition.. has about 5 badly infected emoroids (sp?) and 3 wholes in his front legs (don't even ask me where that comes from!) that seem pretty infected also... I just don't know what to do about all that... it's killing me to see him suffer like that as he has allways been a wonderfull dog with me...
I even took it for walks when I was about 16 along with my JRT and when he got out of his yard onto the streets, I would quickly hop their fence, get inside using their kitchen window that stays open most of the time during summer, grab his collar and leash and walk/play with him for hours till they got back home as I could not get into the yard other than jumping the fence, so I could not put him back inside.
when the window was closed, that dog followd me EVERYWHERE so I took it inside with me and regularly took a nap for 2-3 hours with him in my arms on the bed, or just watching tv or playing around in our yard.
that's why it's killing me to see him suffer like this, I am still the only one (even tough he's practically at the end of his life) to hop the fence everyday and trying to spend as much time as I can with him...

Old 09-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
kathy

Thats a tough one. I can think of a couple things like have you tried leaving a note explaining how it makes you (and the dog) feel and maybe even offer tho take him in and pay for him to be PTS. IDK, maybe they just don't have the heart to do it. I would say to just go and do if they say no, but that makes me think of neighbors we had, well my parents had. They had a dog that had mange and they were treating it with a vet and she was getting better, but our super anaimal lover know it all neighbors took the dog and had it PTS. I am not comparing you to them because this is a different issue and its not like mange thats treatable and your neighbors aren't doing anything. I just brought it up cause I remeber how bad the owners of the dog were hurt when the other neighbors did that. Its defiantly a tough one. good luck and we will keep you and the dog in our thoughts. Let us know how it turns out. Wish I had better advice its jsut kinda a catch 22. maybe you could start looking for another place for your horse and after you get him/her moved then anonomously call AC.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
royarnekara

that's the problem, they ARE in fact treating the dog, but seriously, it isn't getting better, nor will it with the proper care/medecine...
I don't even think the painkillers are in fact helping...
they took that dog maybe 2 times to the vet since, and they give him the medecine he prescribed
and when I spoke to them about how bad we felt for the dog they just answered "the vet told us he isn't suffering" but really, I highly doubt it by the way the dog is moving and behaving.
the dog would normally bark at everything that moves, but now it seems he doesn't even want to make the effort to get up and go check out what's happening... he just can't even get up sometimes... he can barely walk he wiggles from left to right and can't barely spread his legs 5 inches far the few times he does walk... (mostly only to get sheltre from the rain)

plus, I think that if I do call the cops, they would simply say "well, if they took it to a vet, and are treating it, we can't do much" anyways...

and I tought about calling annonimous (sp?), but being such a calm street it would make it difficould, especially knowing other people would have a hard time actually seeing the dog with all the trash they dumped infront of the fence... (big trashcans, like small containers, piles of wood + two cars parked in the alley...)

they won't ever give up that dog, I think they "love" him, regardless of the lack of attention they are giving it.
the only time they do go outside in the yard is twice a day to put his meal and even then, he doesn't even get a pat on the head... it's really frustrating, knowing the condition he is in today I tought they would at least keep the dog inside or give it lots of attention as it is obvious he won't live much longer...

Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
kathy

That makes it even tougher. The AC won't do anything you are right about that because they have taken it to the vet, but thats assuming they are actually doing what the vet has said. in the end i do think its up to the owners though. If I was near you i would give you the pain pills left over from our foster who got bit by a copper head snake. he is all better, tough little guy. I do want to say that we had a GSD that had hip displasia and it was very hard to watch. I never heard a dog make the noises she did the couple days before my parents took her in to be PTS. I don't know how anyone could allow it to go on for very long. Its a hard choice granted, but if they truly love the dog i would think they would have done it by now. You may just have to accept that its out of your hands and look the other way, but if he starts making the noised our Brandy did even w/ pain killers I would loose it if they don't do right by him. Maybe in the mean time you could give him some dogie asprin in some treats or something to take some of theedge off. If they have the tiniest bit of love for the dog and he starts to howl and whine like Brandy our GSD did they will do the right thing, I hope. Keep me updated as to what happens, please.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
royarnekara

I'll keep you updated.
but now that I'm low on cash, I won't be able to afford some painkillers, nor would I in fact dare to use them without knowing if it would be good for him...

I allready regret having used my antibiotics that the vet prescribed me just in case something happend between my dogs that didn't need vetcare other than antibiotics just to make sure there would be no infections as I didn't really know how it would have affected the dog.
but I tought, well if he gets some sort of bad infection (especially in his mouth! IMO the worst area an infection could occur) it would be really hard on him.

I would take a vid of him and post it, but if they ever find out... I would be in big trouble as I have no way to rehome my horse any time soon...
but if he does start whining from pain and they don't do anything, I would most likely call the cops on them!
but I think making some pics and some vids to keep just in case I have to call the cops wouldn't be a bad idea to show how he's kept and how bad he's suffering...

Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
kathy

I think your defiantly on the right track with the video and pics. I hope it all works out and try not to stress to hard on it cause sadly it is out of your hands it seems and sorry I am so worried about him myself. It just comes from seeing a dog go through it and it just reminds me of our brandy. I really did have a tear in my eye bringing her up and writing about her. Take care, Ganja.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
royarnekara

thanks alot, it definately does help to talk about this with some other people...

I've been over to their place yesterday morning, and their daughter (she used to be my best friend till I reached the age of 13) is talking about euthanising the dog, her father to, but her mom is all against it...
but she said something like
"he's starting to 'suffer' from incontinence to now" and knowing her mom, a maniac when it comes to cleaning and knowing they won't leave the dog outside anymore during winter, I'm sure she'll be more open to it when she'll be the one having to clean up his mess every hour...

so I'm crossing my fingers right now as yesterday night around 1 am I heard him barking on a tone I never heard from him, he really seemed to be in pain, went out with the flashlight and when I shined it on him, he tried to get up to walk up to me and it easely took him 5 mins of trying to stand up before giving up and whining for me to come over to him.
again, I hopped the fence and I spend a whole hour with him laying in my lap with his head and upperbody petting him... it breaks my heart to see him in that condition...

and it breaks my heart even more to know that now that he's really at the end of his life, he still doesn't get the slightest bit of attention...

Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
OgrGlgHu

but he does get attention, from you. bless you.

Reply to Thread New Thread