LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
SoorgoBardy

Default Advice on loose Pit Bull during our walks
We walk our Pitty Bull through our neighborhood and down to the park... we have seen a house near the park has left their Pit Bull out in the front yard not attached to anything or anyone a few times. Once now the dog has come across the street to "say hi" and come right up on my dog's hind end... scared the crap out of me! This is how my dog could get uncomfortable and snap and a fight could break out.
However the owners and their little kids came calling after their dog and he ran right home, no troubles. I worry it might not always work that smoothly, and I don't feel comfortable knowing everytime I head to the park that their dog just might be loose. Should I go knock on their door and talk to them (total strangers) or report them or just take my chances that it's the world's friendliest dog and my dog won't ever be at risk of a fight with him?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
spamkillerj

I'd talk to them first, and share your concerns. Ask them to politely keep their dog contained.

If they don't want to keep the dog contained, call AC and report it.

Hopefully they will, so the poor thing doesn't end up getting hurt, hurting another dog, or stolen.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
SoorgoBardy

I've seen their two little girls "walking" that dog on a leash once.. it was a cross between hysterical and frightening. The dog seems to be very friendly thankfully. He was watching our dog quite intently and the little girls were holding him with all their hands on his collar saying "leave it, leave it" until we passed by. Totally funny considering the two girls together were maybe 100 pounds, they were little and the dog easily could have got away from their grasp. He didn't though. Good dog!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
TorryJens

If the dog is approaching your dog's behind...he/she is trying to smell (handshake),tensing up on the leash can give your dog the wrong idea...like this must be a bad thing cause my parent is tensing up---

Try to relax and carry some sort of dog repellent spray/break stick for worse case scenario...............but sounds like it's a friendly dog.....

Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
jeraveike

Thank goodness, from what you are describing, the dog sounds friendly and well behaved.

I would have a friendly talk with the dog's owner and let them know that their dog could get run over by a car, stolen, etc.....that's why there are leash laws.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
SoorgoBardy

I was very afraid (of the strange dog) but now that I've calmed down and thought it out the real worry will be MY dog, he's a nose to nose nipper! I have to keep his face away from strange dogs faces.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
hs6KnlcW

I highly suggest going to the house and letting them know that while their dog might love all others, it makes yours uncomfortable to be run up on by a strange dog, and it could make a fight break out... If they don't listen I would certainly call AC. He might be friendly and sweet as pie, but not if he goes up to some mutt who whips around and plants a good bite on his face. Better for the breed... You know if someone's darling Fifi started a fight and this bulldog ended up making a huge scene by ripping her a new one, it would be the bulldog's fault and the newest headline on the news would be "Loose Pit Bull Viciously Mauls Passersby"

I actually just had to call because I narrowly escaped the neighborhood pit/lab who is downright VICIOUS to humans and animals, the owners put him on a cable in the front yard and leave...

Old 09-30-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
SoorgoBardy

great advice, I'm on it!

Reply to Thread New Thread