LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
derinasderun

It sounds a bit overwhelming. Are you sure you want to take on another lifetime commitment right now? (Look who's talking - I run a whole zoo at my home). My point is, with these dogs still so young and personalities not yet fully formed, three young children - same thing, personalities not yet fully formed - AND another on the way.... Just don't do what I did. You do love them all, I know, but there will be times in the (near) future where you or you partner will get overwhelmed and feel resentful. Be aware of this so that if one of the adults in the family needs a break, he or she can get one. It's the whole family, human and animal, that suffer when enough becomes too much.
Enough of the depressing stuff, a little hint for you. I, at one point, had a bunch of dogs and two toddlers. Three of the dogs had chronic disputes (they weren't pit bulls, but, boy! could they fight!), in the interest of child safety with the dogs in question, the kids were taught to go far away from the dogs as soon as they even heard a grumble. No running from them, but to walk directly away so I could intervene and try to break up the fight without worrying about where the kids were. I did keep those dogs away from each other as best I could, but with children around opening doors, not paying attention to what they're doing, etc, accidents happen. Do your best to always be prepared, teach the kids the simplest way to protect themselves and enjoy the makings of your own little zoo.
I wish you all the best.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
babopeddy

One thing to keep in mind is that your boys are just babies right now. You haven't even really hit the terrible teens. I can't imagine taking a pair of puppies through that fun stage at the same time, let alone with another pup in the household. Also, they haven't reached the age where dog aggression typically starts to show itself, so while they're fast friends right now, that may not last. Are you prepared for that? Are you prepared for that plus another dog?

I've had three pits at once and it was ok. A handful, but ok. But none were pups and the number three dog was an old guy who was old when I got him, and so very what you see is what you get when it came to his responses to other dogs. You don't get that luxary with a pup.

And on top of that, are you prepared at the other end of the road to cover the cost of three old dogs at the same time?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
jobsfancy

One thing to keep in mind is that your boys are just babies right now. You haven't even really hit the terrible teens. I can't imagine taking a pair of puppies through that fun stage at the same time, let alone with another pup in the household. Also, they haven't reached the age where dog aggression typically starts to show itself, so while they're fast friends right now, that may not last. Are you prepared for that? Are you prepared for that plus another dog?

I've had three pits at once and it was ok. A handful, but ok. But none were pups and the number three dog was an old guy who was old when I got him, and so very what you see is what you get when it came to his responses to other dogs. You don't get that luxary with a pup.

And on top of that, are you prepared at the other end of the road to cover the cost of three old dogs at the same time?
Thank you all for the comments. I did not decide to get another dog until I was told that our blue boy will be leaving along with our roomate in May. With that in mind, I decided to get my the female for my boy to play with. So now I will only have three for two months, then two. I was going to try and keep all three but I thought about it and two is enough. Plus I would rather have a male and female than two males.

As for the cost, I don't mind paying another 21.00 a month to make sure this little girl has a great home.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
jobsfancy

Default Two plus one more
Ok here is my situation, my wife and I have three children (6,5,3) and one due early May. We also have a 9 month old male pit bull and another one who is 6 months old. Both boys play great together (each one is laying on each foot as I type). The youngest knows he isn't the oldest as whenever they play, he is the one to lay on his back. Neither one has ever got rough or played too hard with each other or our children.

Here is the plus one, a female who will be 8 weeks when we get her. I choose all my pets when I meet them. This female (Athena), I choose because when I went to look at the puppies and her mother greeted us by jumping (while nursing), happily, this was the only pup who hung on and was actually off the ground still feeding. I liked that because both of my boys like their tire swing outside.

My question is, is this ok? My oldest is getting fixed this week and the other boy is being fixed in two months. I always read where you should introduce any new pup to your existing family members before purchasing but neither one of my pit's have shown aggression towards another dog (I take them to the park every day). Just figured I'd get everyone's opinion on this. Just so everyone knows, I won't trade or not get Athena for any reason (unless health problem that can't be cured), but I like to get different views to better understand the entire situation b/c my POV is skewed.

Reply to Thread New Thread