View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Seeseeskeva

Default So how can you help an animal, when no one is available to help?
I feel like such a jerk because I had to just walk away from the situation. I was on my way into work and had just parked and pulled into the parking lot when I witnessed a dog get tossed out of a van in our parking lot. The van then sped away. This dog looked to have very recently had puppies, she obviously had mange, she was underweight. And unfortunately she was too fearful when I tried to approach. Now I don't work in the best part of town as it is, so on top of that I was weary of approaching this strange dog. Well she took off. But after I started my shift she came back. She was hanging out between where I work and the resturant next door. Now I saw that van come back and circle a few times. I guess they were hoping someone would pick her up. I don't know. Well the dog came back and someone complained about her. So I made a few phone calls to a few contacts I had at a few shelters but no one was in a position to come out and get her (It's a Holiday) and honestly with her being fearful I was unable to get close to her myself. So I ended up calling Animal Services because she was in really bad shape. I figure they could atleast get her off the street and evaluated (she looked really sick) and a. give her a chance or adoption or for a shelter to pull her or B. If she was too bad off she would be humanely euthanized rather than getting hit by a car and suffering a potentially painful death in a very busy part of town.

Well because its a "Holiday" they couldn't send anyone out. But they could send someone out on Monday to check on her. By Monday she will most likely be dead. Well anyway by the time I left last night she was no where to be found, so I can only pray some good samaritan picked her up.

My question is: What is the point of trying to help, when there is no one willing to do anything. I don't care if its a Holiday. Someone could have taken a few minutes out of their holiday to come save this dogs life.